CLOSED: Harry Potter Craftalong - Yule 2020/21

Class: Alchemy
House: Slytherin
Project Name: Relaxing on a Sunny Day
Project Description: Teddy Cuddlestuff is relaxing under a tree on a very sunny day. Looking on are the Golden Hind and the Wise old Bunnycorn. So I have both the sun and some golden horns.
Project Picture:

3 Likes

That broom embroidery is magical and fabulous!! I love it.

It’s November! I can’t believe it! Here’s the new Iron Chef Challenge!

November Secret Ingredient: Horseradish!
Spice up November with honey horseradish chicken and asparagus, quick refrigerator horseradish pickles , or bring some horseradish deviled eggs to Thanksgiving!

2 Likes

I was going to make pumpkin custard today. Maybe I should sneak some horseradish in there. :smiling_imp:

Seriously, though, I’m excited to use horseradish in a non-dessert food, LOL!

1 Like

A new book club prompt has been posted!

OK! Now that Halloween is over, I can hand in some overdue assignments!

Class: Arithmancy
House: Gryffindor!
Project Name & Page Link: Little Bunny Needle Book
Brief Description: Not only does this little book have pockets inside and places to stash needles, I made it for a fellow LC-er in the pincushion/needleminder swap!
Project Picture:

Class: Astronomy
Project Name & Page Link: Saxophone Mask
Brief Description: I modified Magpie’s darted front mask pattern to come up with something my son can use in band. He plays the saxophone and was told he needed a mask that allows him to insert the end of the instrument into his mouth, but his mouth and nose will remain covered. Challenge accepted! The end result is a mask that overlaps in the middle, but almost hinges open to allow something through. Almost like the jaws of a wolf, no? :wink:
Project Picture:

Class: Charms
Project Name & Page Link: Stuffed Porg Pin/Hipster Leia Costume
Brief Description: Well, this certainly makes me smile. :smile: Porg tutorial taken from this video (porg comes in at about 3 minutes). Hipster Leia inspiration came from this site. Full shirt says, “I’m from Alderaan you’ve probably never heard of it.”
Project Picture:

Class: DADA
Project Name & Page Link: Owlette Costume
Brief Description: Lots of Red here! Mask Pattern/inspiration - I think I actually ended up using this and another one blended together to get the size I needed. PJ base was purchased from primary.com. Owletee symbol and wing details were pilfered from the Internet and cut on pink HTV with my Cricut. The backing for the wings was an old red t-shirt I had in my stash.
Project Picture:

Class: Muggle Studies
Project Name & Page Link: Catboy Costume
Brief Description: My muggle Cricut machine really came in handy for this project! Stripes for the costume were taken from this awesome resource. Thank goodness for crafty folks who share on the Web! I took her PDF patterns and extracted the bits I wanted to turn them into cut files then ironed them on in the appropriate locations. Catboy mask pattern came from here. The tail pattern came from here.
Project Picture:

4 Likes

Class or Challenge Title: Headmistress - November
Project Name & Page Link: Green Tomato Salsa Verde
Brief Description: I’m grateful every day for my husband. He’s my best friend, and the most restful person I’ve ever been around. There are no demands when we are together, just the satisfaction of each of us being allowed to do what we’re interested in, and supporting the other in their pursuits. I know some people are getting grumpy being locked up with their partners for so long during quarantine, but I can’t think of anyone I’d rather be cooped up in a house with. So when I harvested the last of the jalapenos from my mini garden yesterday, I decided to make him some salsa. I already did a traditional red tomato salsa earlier this season, so I explored the big Ball book to find something a little different.
Project Picture:

1 Like

Class or Challenge Title: Book Club Ch 3
Project Name & Page Link: Melt & Pour Crystal Soaps
Brief Description: While I haven’t ventured into cold process yet, I am extremely comfortable making melt and pour soaps. So I recently made 6 batches of Crystal Soaps for my witchy swap partners. Each batch made 8 soaps, plus a few of what I’m calling my scrappy soaps, of mixed scents. The purple & burgundy are Lychee Red Tea, the blue are Rosewood, the green are Bay Rum, the yellow are Citrus & Rosemary, and the pink are Crisp Apple Rose. I forgot to get a pic before sending most of them off, so this is what’s left!
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Divination
Project Name & Page Link: Peanut Butter Cheerio Bars
Brief Description: These peanut butter Cheerio bars have just 5 ingredients. Butter, peanut butter, marshmallows, Chocolate Peanut Butter Cheerios, and mini chocolate chips. I used to make them semi-regularly, but hadn’t made them in years. Then yesterday I got a craving and decided to indulge myself to relieve election stress. My husband had already broken into them by the time I got to take a picture.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Herbology
Project Name & Page Link: Fried Green Tomatoes
Brief Description: I’m always paranoid about not having enough of an ingredient for a canning recipe, so I tend to over-buy. The same happened with the green tomatoes I bought for the Salsa Verde I posted yesterday. I had 2 leftover, so I decided to treat us to some fried green tomatoes yesterday. They were AMAZING. The mixture of cornmeal & breadcrumbs make this recipe.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: History of Magic
Project Name & Page Link: Spell Bottles
Brief Description: These little spell bottles were the final component of my witchy swap items. Each one was unique to the recipient. One for Love & Friendship, one for Peace & Prosperity, and one for Health & Wellbeing. They were sent to dear friends I cannot travel to be with right now, by I consider as close as the Marauders were.
Project Picture:

2 Likes

hourglasses
:zap: Headmistress Jennie casts the House Points Charm! :zap:

:sparkles: :owl: :scroll: Announcement from the Headmistress…
I know that many of you, like me, are planners. People who like to make lists of every sort. And since we are all still mostly homebound by the pandemic, many of us are already planning and crafting for the winter holidays. Therefore I’ve decided to announce December’s Headmistress prompts early, so you can have them as you plan your gift making and giving. Please note, November’s Headmistress Challenge dates remain the same, but December’s Headmistress Challenges are available to be posted now, through January 7th, as the holidays can get hectic, and we don’t all have as much time to post as often as we’d like to. There are 12 prompts, and you are welcome to do as many, or as few, as you wish! Finally, these have all been added to Hermione’s Homework Planner for you.

4 Likes

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: You are amazing. :hearts:

3 Likes

Second!

1 Like

:blush: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :kissing_heart:

Sorry I’ve been a bit absent so far this term, I will have a big project dump coming soon and add to Gryffindor :heart: :lion: :yellow_heart:

2 Likes

AS Friday Update:

The squares for my Autumn Table Topper have been assembled! I’m so happy with how it is turning out, I had very little squaring up to do as I joined pieces into the whole.
Now I can move on to making the quilt sandwich and slowly but surely do very simple machine quilting.

ETA: I just measured it, to cut the backing fabric…It’s longer than a standard fabric bolt. The yard piece of Kona that I snagged from the clearance bin is about 5" shorter than I need it to be. Guess I’m going to Joann’s after work to pick up a piece sized for quilt backing! :sweat_smile:

Ghostly pale size 7 foot for scale.

3 Likes

Hey friends! It’s time to vote for your favorite costume in the Halloween Costume Challenge! The poll is at the bottom of the first post in the thread.

Yessss! Brilliant! :heart_eyes: :sunglasses: :sparkling_heart:

1 Like

Hey All! Hufflepuff House has started a Virtual Cookie Exchange. We’ll be sharing our favorite recipes in the Common Room so check it out if you want to get some new ideas for holiday baking, or just need a good, sugary stress relief activity.

If you’d like to submit a recipe you enjoy, shoot me a message!

11. desember - December 11 by Riksarkivet (National Archives of Norway), on Flickr

1 Like

@CraftsUntold Lovely colors! I especially like floral-ish print.

1 Like

I have been busy crafting the last few weeks. It feels so good to make time for myself to be able to craft.

Class or Challenge Title: DADA
House: Hufflepuff
Project Name & Page Link: Barbie Travel Bag
Brief Description: This Red travel bag is perfect for Barbie as she travels. It has snaps so that the bag can really open and close.

Class or Challenge Title: Flying
Project Name & Page Link: Barbie Store Display Case #1
Brief Description: Like learning to fly on a broom at first, this project was hard to get right at for a while. I have wanted to make a Barbie Accessory Store for a few years ut have had a hard time coming up with ideas for it. I finally made a decent start though with a couple of display cases. I tried making them out of cardboard and wood, but they did not shape up like I hoped. I ended up toting around with an old plastic yard election sign. I found that I could cut half way through a side and the other side would bend easily (like corrugated cardboard-but sturdier). This made my ultimate design workable. After cutting the plastic I tried coating it all with permanent vinyl. The black ended up not as hoped, since it shows bits of glue, etc easily. But I love the reflective mirror like vinyl I used for the shelf.

Class or Challenge Title: Transfiguration
Project Name & Page Link: Barbie Display Bookcase
Brief Description: I had originally planned to create a display bookcase for my Barbie shop out of wood. But instead I substituted plastic sign board and vinyl. The picture shows all 3 of my new pieces together. I also decided to make my “shop” a background that could easily be folded for storage from scrapbook paper covering cardboard that can open and close to alter the area for the shop.

Class or Challenge Title: Detention Stash #1
Project Name & Page Link: Barbie Display Case #2
Brief Description: Similar to the case above, but shorter.

Class or Challenge Title: Detention Stash #2
Project Name & Page Link: Barbie Red and Blue Flower Dress
Brief Description: I need some clothes for my Barbie Shop. I chose to make this one because it goes with most of the bags and hats that I have already made for display. Everything used was from my stash.

Class or Challenge Title: Detention Stash #3
Project Name & Page Link: Barbie “Silk” Hat and Black Purse
Brief Description: I created a red “silk” hat with ribbons. Everything used was from my stash. The black purse was made from textured leather look paper that had been originally from a scrapbook paper aisle. A fun find that I knew I would find a use for one day.

3 Likes