CLOSED: Harry Potter Craftalong - Yule 2020/21

Edel I love your tree!

Class or Challenge Title: Arithmancy
House: Hufflepuff
Project Name & Page Link: Ornament and trinket
https://www.americangirlideas.com/harry-potter-book-set-•-printables/

Brief Description: These mini books were made for gifts that I sent for the ornament swap. One became an ornament and the other a trinket that can be clipped on a backpack. Owl ornament that I made for the Harry Potter ornament swap is made from clay and kiln fired with a green glaze.

Class or Challenge Title: Study of Ancient Runes
Project Name & Page Link: Goblet of Fire Ornament
Brief Description: This ornament that I made for the Harry Potter ornament swap is made from clay and kiln fired with glaze. The names of the competitors are written on in it.

3 Likes

You’ve been missed dear Lady.

Nice tree!! I put up all my Harry Potter ornaments this year! Our tree is a crazy cacophony of ornaments this year, but it is definitely dominated by lovely HP ornaments.

1 Like

That tree is bursting with HP! I’m sure magic is involved.

1 Like

Amazing! Edel, that HP tree is MAGICAL! :heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

1 Like

Hello all! Just checking in! @edel Your tree is fanstastic! I love it!

On to other business! I’m still working on my Season Stitch-a-Long for an advanced studies project but I’d like to propose another! It’ll likely take me the next couple weeks for sure. Here she is:

~ ADVANCED STUDIES PROPOSAL ~
Project Name: “Home for Christmas” 3D Cross Stitch House
House: Gryffindor
Brief Description: This project may or may not take 3-4 weeks but the article/pattern states it takes about 30 hours to complete so, uh, I think that it should qualify as an advanced study. Lol. It shall take patience but also some cunning charms to take a flat cross stitch and transfigure it into a 3D house! (Honestly…I had to read the directions on assembly like 3x before they made sense to me so wish me luck. :laughing:) Here’s what it should look like when it’s done!

And for a not so long project I have some homework to turn in:
Class or Challenge Title: December 12 Trees Challenge- ICICLES
Project Name & Page Link: Christmas Shrinky Dinks!
((I tried to find the link on the Michaels website but couldn’t find it on there. It’s a kids’ Creatology pack I found on the side of the kids Chrstimas crafting middle-of-the-aisle thing.))
Brief Description: Ya know…sometimes a quick craft kit is all your need to have some fun. I found these quick little all-in-one Shrinky Dink kits for $0.90 a piece! I assume I probably did Shrinky Dinks as a kid but I have no memories of it. I had THE BEST time doing these with my daughter. And since we’re homeschooling this year we learned the science behind Shrinky Dinks, some modern day technological uses for them, and she lit up when I brought out these little kits for us to do our own. We enjoyed it so much we promptly went out and bought the big sheets of it to make our own designs…including one type that you can print on and then shrink! So…expect more in the future! It was the perfect Icicle homework because we had to have a very specific temperature and keep them in for just a minute or two. (We had our faces glued to the oven watching all the magic happen. :laughing:)
Project Picture:

2 Likes

I love shrinky dinks - no matter how many times I do them, they always amaze me :smiley: And that 3d cross stitch is going to be fantastic.

@edel - lovely to see you back :kissing_heart: Love the tree - it looks amazing

Class or Challenge Title: Hermione’s book club - C4 Flourish and Blotts
Project Name & Page Link: Repurposed Christmas card
Brief Description: I have been trying to practice my painting skills and had found this Christmas card tutorial on Youtube, which seemed really pretty when finished. But when done, I hated the outcome, except for the banner, which I really liked. I didn’t want to waste it completely, so cut out the elements and used them to create a new card.
Project Picture:
Part 1 -

Part 2 -

3 Likes

Class or Challenge Title: Book Club Ch. 4
House: Gryffindor!
Project Name & Page Link: Home Embroidery
Brief Description: My parents are moving into a new house soon. They have moved often over the years, but they love the town they are in now, and I know they’ll miss it there when they go. So I wanted to make them a Christmas gift to remind them that they’ll always be ‘home’, so long as they’re together. Nice sentiment, right? Too bad this project went so wrong at every turn! I thought I had purchased the digital file that would fit my 5"x7" embroidery hoop, so I bought a frame that said it was matted to 5"x7". I sat down to do the embroidering, and after it was done, discovered that I had actually bought the larger file, which was far too big to fit into the mat. (See below.) So rather than return the frame, I bought the smaller embroidery file, and started agin. That failed on the second letter of the design, and I had to rip out the stitches. I tried again, and it failed on the 4th letter. By that point the fabric & stabilizer weren’t able to be salvaged, so they were binned. Third time (or 4th, if you count the too big embroidery) worked, and it stitched up beautifully. Too bad the mat in the frame is actually 4.5"x6.5", meaning the sides are slightly cut off! At that point, I tried to remove the mat to cut it to fit better, but discovered it’s built into the frame and can’t be removed, so I’m leaving it like it is. My parents reframe virtually everything anyways, so I’m sure they’d end up changing this one at some point. I’m calling it done!
Project Picture:
(Too-big embroidery, against frame.)

(Smaller embroidery that mostly fits in the frame.)

3 Likes

Now to figure out what to do with the larger embroidery piece that’s just sitting on my work table…

1 Like

It is a gorgeous piece - it would make a lovely cushion cover…

A new Hermione’s Book Club prompt has been posted!

1 Like

I have a Janome 300E which I got third- or perhaps fourth-hand. It’s old, but reliable and efficient :slight_smile:

Thank you @PrincessP! :slight_smile:

@Whistlefish that house is going to be so cool! What fun! And I love that you did shrinky dinks for science. They’re super cute!

@seeuudee I love how you repurposed your elements! Great idea!

@MistressJennie I bet your parents will love the embroidered picture. What a perfect sentiment. :slight_smile: It’s so frustrating when a project goes that way. Kudos for sticking through all the problems!

1 Like

Happy December, Friends!! It’s time for a new Iron Chef!

December Secret Ingredient: Fennel!
This often underappreciated vegetable gets a makeover in recipes like fennel al forno, rigatoni with sausage and fennel, and cucumber fennel salad.

1 Like

Last call to sign up for the Holiday Card Exchange!

I’ll be sending out our list later tonight, so if you wish to participate, send me your address asap!

1 Like

Questions Ms. @Abbeeroad: Does fennel seed count? I can’t stand the taste of fennel itself, but like the seeds in various dishes.

Sure! Make it work for you! :smile:

1 Like

:kissing_heart:

1 Like

I’m excited for the :christmas_tree:Christmas Card Exchange :christmas_tree:!!! I hope lots of people are signed up. :slight_smile:

Class or Challenge Title: Trees Challenge - TREE SKIRT
Project Name & Page Link: Cinnamon Ornaments!
Brief Description: This project was perfect for the Tree Skirt challenge! It was both functional (smelling heavenly is a function, right?) and decorative (aren’t they cute?!).

They only take three ingredients: a boatload of cinnamon, some applesauce, and a teensy bit of glue. (Some recipes exclude the glue but I used it just for extra stability. These ornaments are NOT edible but they smell DIVINE.

I did the project with my kiddos and we had a blast. The 8 year old was self sufficient. But when you’re working with a three year old…lets just say that’s way more work on a project than doing it without a three year old. :rofl:

I highly recommend them for some easy, holiday fun. I may make more for present tags just because I love them so much. (Love me some cinnamon!) We used puffy paint to decorate them once they were dried out.
Project Picture:
The finished ornaments!

A close-up of a couple of decorated ones:

2 Likes

Awesome AS proposal! I’ve added it to the project log! :smile:

1 Like