CLOSED: Harry Potter Craftalong - Yule 2020/21

I love those nutcrackers!

1 Like

Grab a cup of tea or coffee folks…I’ve got SEVEN projects coming atcha! :flushed:

Class or Challenge Title: Herbology
House: Gryffindor
Project Name & Page Link: Turkey Chili
Brief Description: What’s more soothing and comforting than a hot bowl of chili on a cold day? I must confess though, that I have no real recipe. This is kind of one of those see-what-you-have-and-throw-it-all-in recipes. Here’s a synopsis:

• Saute some minced garlic in the bottom of a large pot with oil for 2-3 minutes. (I also threw in a chopped bell pepper and chopped yellow onion.)
  • Brown your meat. (I used ground turkey but you can use beef.)
  • Dump whatever you find in the pot! Here’s what I had: 3-ish cups chicken broth, 1 can corn, 1 can kidney beans, 1 can pinto beans, 1/2 can chipotle peppers (minced/chopped finely before adding), 1 can roasted tomatoes (with juice), 1 can tomato paste.
  • Add your seasonings to your liking: chili powder (~3 tbsp), garlic powder, salt, pepper, cumin.
  • Stir and simmer for 30 minutes or so.
  • Top with what you have! I added cheese and green onion.
  • Bake yo’self some Krusteaz Honey Cornbread because it is life changing.
  • Enjoy and eat leftovers for days. This is the type that actually tastes better as leftovers.

Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Book Club - Chapter 5 - Whomping Willow
Project Name & Page Link: Book Themed Hoopla Ornament
Brief Description: I drastically changed this by combining patterns, changing patterns, and freehanding my own additions. It was long and arduous - much like a fight with a Whomping Willow.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Trees Challenge - Candles
Project Name & Page Link: Delivery Driver Goody Project
Brief Description: This is one of those things that is more project than craft (so if it doesn’t count let me know!) I put together a goody box for all the deliver drivers who have been (and will be) frequenting our house. I hope it will cheer them up and make them feel appreciated!

I purchased some snacks and some toiletries that I thought they might appreciate on their routes: pop-tarts, oreos, tissues, hand cream (because it’s cold and washing your hands/working with boxes can get rough), santizer spray, and some Carmex (my favorite! and also…because it’s cold and they’re outdoors a lot!)

I designed two signs - one for my door, one for the lid of the box and then laminated them. I picked the background, fonts, designed the layots for them. I even added all their little logos on the bottom. I made a generic logo for “food delivery” if we ever get food delivered.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Trees Challenge - Fake Snow
Project Name & Page Link: Great Grandparent 12 Days of Christmas Mail Project!
Brief Description: This is, again, more project-y, less crafty but man, did it take so much longer than I thought!

We’re most likely not doing Christmas with all my grandparent-in-law’s this year due to COVID (and we already didn’t do Thanksgiving) and I know they’re all kinda bummed so I randomly thought of this idea to do a 12 Days of Christmas. (Two sets of grandparents = two sets of mail = 24 envelopes!)

• I printed out 12 different pictures of the kids/family and on the back had a little decorative note. (For example “On the third day of Christmas my granddaughter-in-law gave to me: Two silly kids jumping high on the trampoline!” And it would be a cute picture of the kids on the trampoline)
  • The cards I purchased were blank inside so I stamped each one with a decorative Christmas stamp.
  • I made address labels for all of them because I wasn’t about to hand address all these.
  • I wrote a short note on each envelope and each card with colored markers.

This took me the better part of a day to complete but I think it’ll help bring some cheer to get a new card and picture in the mail every day for 12 days straight. I know one of the grandma’s got hers today and she’s SO excited to have something to look forward to every day.

Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Trees Challenge - Garland
Project Name & Page Link: Hudson’s First Ornament
Brief Description: My husband has a board gamer friend who was due with a baby boy this week (born two days ago!) and I wanted to make the new one a handmade ornament since that’s apparently what I do now. This prompt asks for the wintery world and the whole color theme is kinda Scandanavian, natural, and wintery. Plus…those little pom poms look like snowballs, right?
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Trees Challenge - Lights
Project Name & Page Link: Marley’s Ornament
Brief Description: Baby Hudson has an older sister so it was only fair I made her a matching ornament, right? Can’t leave the new big sister out of the mix! I was told she was more interested in the wrapping (she’s 2) but her mama was THRILLED with the ornaments and SO appreciative! (Isn’t that nice when you handmake a gift and the recpient fully appreciates the time, effort, and craftsmanship? This is one of those times.) We delivered the ornaments the day before the mama went in to get induced so I hope it helped keep her calm and in a good headspace.
Project Picture:

Bonus pic: Check out the backs! :pleading_face: :heart_eyes:

Class or Challenge Title: Trees Challenge - Star
Project Name & Page Link: Tis the Season Ornament
Brief Description: Plain, simple, but also beautiful! I hope these example of cross stitch helps my talents shine.
Project Picture:

P.S. @MistressJennie I do hope I’ve put these in an acceptable order. I followed the same order as Hermione’s Homework Planner and tried my best!

3 Likes

Hey Alex! Good effort my dear. Gold star to you. :star: They aren’t actually in order, but it’s clearly not due to a lack of effort. :smile: The order is actually listed for reference at the bottom of the House Points Post above. It’s for the most part alphabetical, rather than the Homework planner order, which is grouped by topic, like Classes, Headmistress Challenges, etc. It’s just easiest when doing House Points to see “Alchemy” and know ‘beginning of the alphabet, beginning of the spreadsheet!’

1 Like

Dang! At least I got the gold star for trying. :joy: I forgot about the reference part! I’ll use that next time. I’ll edit my post this afternoon to reorder things. :slight_smile:

1 Like

You don’t have to reorder anything. It’s all good.

1 Like

Class or Challenge Title: Headmistress - Trees Candles
House: Slytherin :snake: :yarn:
Project Name & Page Link: Improvised Stegosaurus Hat
Brief Description: I wanted to make a dino hat for our 2 yo nephew to go with some dino toys that we are sending for Xmas, but I was unhappy with the available free patterns on ravlery. So I improvised. There is a brief “recipe” pattern written up here on the Ravelry project page. It will def keep the recipient warm and hopefully happy.
Project Picture:

3 Likes

I finished one of my advanced studies, yay!

*ADVANCED STUDIES Complete
Project Name: Teacher Bag
House: Hufflepuff
Project Name: Professor’s Bag of Keeping
Pattern used: McCalls 5722 , I LOVE this pattern.
Brief Description: (how it fits the requirements, pattern/techniques used, materials using, plan of action, expected timeline, etc.) I have been in desperate need of a new teacher bag. I transfigured some flat waterproof canvas into a lovely shape that can carry all of my potions, spell books and maybe a mouse or 2. I modified the pattern and added lots of internal pockets and little details to it. The outside pockets which are hard to see, they blend in well, have built in pencil/pen pocket organizers.

6 Likes

Class or Challenge Title: Study of Ancient Runes
House: Slytherin :snake: :thread:
Project Name & Page Link: Xmas Hexigon Table Topper (pic heavy)
Brief Description: My intention was a set of table toppers for my end tables, but they turned out big so I am keeping one and gifting the one that I just finished to my Oma. This was the first time I have done this pattern, and some of the fabric strips have words on them.
Link to the Youtube tutorial and more pics in the FO post.
Project Picture:

3 Likes

Class or Challenge Title: Book Club Ch 5
House: Gryffindor!
Project Name & Page Link: Corduroy Kindle Case
Brief Description: A few years ago my aunt Nancy passed away from cancer. While she was in the hospital, she was often cold, so she wore a thick and cozy corduroy shirt to stay warm. During that time my father spent weeks visiting with her, and after she passed, he kept her shirt. He asked me to turn it into a case for her kindle, which he also inherited. Even though he gave me exact dimensions for the (very old) kindle, I was really worried about cutting up the shirt to make a case that somehow wouldn’t fit. (I also didn’t think it would be the best use of the shirt, so I made the pillow below with the body of the shirt.) I initially envisioned a book style case, but came across a tutorial for this version, which seemed a safer bet. Even if it were slightly too big, the kindle would still be protected. Since I used the body for the pillow, this was made from the sleeves.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Headmistress 12 Trees - Baubles
Project Name & Page Link: Corduroy Shirt Pillow
Brief Description: When I saw the shirt my dad wanted me to turn into a kindle cover, I thought instead that it would make a much better throw pillow, possibly to curl up and read with. (Aunt Nancy was a prolific/obsessive reader, who worked as an editor for Simon & Schuster.) I wanted to feature the pockets and buttons, so it would still feel like a shirt, retaining that sense of wearability, to remind dad of his sister. Hopefully he’ll like the surprise bonus gift beyond the kindle cover he requested.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Headmistress 12 Trees - Tinsel
Project Name & Page Link: Apoxie Sculpt Bracelet & Pendant
Brief Description: I had the good fortune to take an online jewelry making class with Erin Prais-Hintz recently (along with @Abbeeroad!), through the University of Wisconsin. The class was to make mosaic bangles and pendants with Apoxie Sculpt. This is the bracelet and pendant I made the next day, while on a crafting date with Abbee.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Headmistress 12 Trees - Tree Skirt
Project Name & Page Link: Expecto Patronum Night Lights
Brief Description: I’ve been trying to stash bust as much as possible, and in doing so, I came across some geode slices, and pewter stags I had to make night lights, so I made 6! They are both functional & decorative! And hopefully keep the Dementors away in the dark of night. I don’t want to bore anyone with all 6, so here are shots of just one.
Project Picture:

3 Likes

I love the pillow made from the shirt so much, such a lovely way to remember your Aunt.

Class or Challenge Title: Hermione’s Book Club - Chapter 5
House: Hufflepuff
Project Name & Page Link: n/a
Brief Description: My risk this year was deciding to paint my own Christmas cards - I don’t consider myself an artist, but am really trying to practice. (If you are taking part in the HPC card exchange, feel free to choose not to look at the image - it is one of a few designs, but it may be the one you get!)
Project Picture:

picture

2 Likes

Congratulations on completing your AS Project plaidpineapple! You have just earned 100 points for your house!

:tada: :tada:

1 Like

That night light is FABULOUS.

Class or Challenge Title: Headmistress Trees - Ribbon
Project Name & Page Link: Deer Gift Mug Mats
Brief Description: More gifts for family! My mom is sending a gift basket of snack and hot chocolate to my in-laws, and I made these mug mats to go along with the basket.
Link to the In Color Order blog tutorial and more pics in the FO post.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Headmistress Trees - Angel
Project Name & Page Link: Flyers Mug Mat
Brief Description: More gifts for family! This Flyers mug mat is for my mom.
Link to the In Color Order blog tutorial and more pics in the FO post.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Book Club - Cht 5
House: Slytherin :snake: :cookie:
Project Name & Page Link: Gluten Free & Dairy free Backoblaten
Brief Description: Used a YouTube tutorial to make Gluten & Dairy free backoblaten, to be used for Elisenlebuchen later this week. I altered the recipe be using GF flour, and plain Crisco instead of butter or margarine. YouTube link in FO post
Project Picture:

1 Like

Class :Alchemy
House Ravenclaw

I did a journal page today, needed to get my head away from torturous house sale. This has a lot of gold on the page.

Class: herb
House: ravenclaw.

This year’s glitter house, a castle, with plenty of snow.

It has its own thread here 2020 glitter house (castle) aka sorta putz houses

5 Likes

A new Hermione’s Book Club prompt has been posted!

class: Flying
Ravenclaw

This is a notebook that I’ve made for a dear friend for Christmas, she’s got a goth soul, so hopefully she’ll love it.

Class: HOM
Ravenclaw
This is for her husband, he loves boats and so it fits the traveling aspect of this prompt.

Class, divination
House, ravenclaw

Lots of fine lines of stitching in this one. It’s a quilt for my cousin. Link here: New quilt, Christmas gift for my cousin

!

5 Likes

That quilt is awesome. Love all the colors!

It’s so bright and happy! Wonderful.

Class or Challenge Title: Book Club - Cht 6
House: Slytherin :snake: :cookie:
Project Name & Page Link: Elisenlebkuchen
Brief Description: I am quite known for baking in my family and friends. This year I tried a new recipe that I think my German rooted family will love: Elisenlebkuchen! Recipe on Food52 is linked in the FO post.
Project Picture:

3 Likes