CLOSED: Harry Potter Craftalong - Yule 2020/21

Class or Challenge Title: Study of Ancient Runes
House: Slytherin :snake: :thread:
Project Name & Page Link: Xmas Hexigon Table Topper (pic heavy)
Brief Description: My intention was a set of table toppers for my end tables, but they turned out big so I am keeping one and gifting the one that I just finished to my Oma. This was the first time I have done this pattern, and some of the fabric strips have words on them.
Link to the Youtube tutorial and more pics in the FO post.
Project Picture:

3 Likes

Class or Challenge Title: Book Club Ch 5
House: Gryffindor!
Project Name & Page Link: Corduroy Kindle Case
Brief Description: A few years ago my aunt Nancy passed away from cancer. While she was in the hospital, she was often cold, so she wore a thick and cozy corduroy shirt to stay warm. During that time my father spent weeks visiting with her, and after she passed, he kept her shirt. He asked me to turn it into a case for her kindle, which he also inherited. Even though he gave me exact dimensions for the (very old) kindle, I was really worried about cutting up the shirt to make a case that somehow wouldn’t fit. (I also didn’t think it would be the best use of the shirt, so I made the pillow below with the body of the shirt.) I initially envisioned a book style case, but came across a tutorial for this version, which seemed a safer bet. Even if it were slightly too big, the kindle would still be protected. Since I used the body for the pillow, this was made from the sleeves.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Headmistress 12 Trees - Baubles
Project Name & Page Link: Corduroy Shirt Pillow
Brief Description: When I saw the shirt my dad wanted me to turn into a kindle cover, I thought instead that it would make a much better throw pillow, possibly to curl up and read with. (Aunt Nancy was a prolific/obsessive reader, who worked as an editor for Simon & Schuster.) I wanted to feature the pockets and buttons, so it would still feel like a shirt, retaining that sense of wearability, to remind dad of his sister. Hopefully he’ll like the surprise bonus gift beyond the kindle cover he requested.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Headmistress 12 Trees - Tinsel
Project Name & Page Link: Apoxie Sculpt Bracelet & Pendant
Brief Description: I had the good fortune to take an online jewelry making class with Erin Prais-Hintz recently (along with @Abbeeroad!), through the University of Wisconsin. The class was to make mosaic bangles and pendants with Apoxie Sculpt. This is the bracelet and pendant I made the next day, while on a crafting date with Abbee.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Headmistress 12 Trees - Tree Skirt
Project Name & Page Link: Expecto Patronum Night Lights
Brief Description: I’ve been trying to stash bust as much as possible, and in doing so, I came across some geode slices, and pewter stags I had to make night lights, so I made 6! They are both functional & decorative! And hopefully keep the Dementors away in the dark of night. I don’t want to bore anyone with all 6, so here are shots of just one.
Project Picture:

3 Likes

I love the pillow made from the shirt so much, such a lovely way to remember your Aunt.

Class or Challenge Title: Hermione’s Book Club - Chapter 5
House: Hufflepuff
Project Name & Page Link: n/a
Brief Description: My risk this year was deciding to paint my own Christmas cards - I don’t consider myself an artist, but am really trying to practice. (If you are taking part in the HPC card exchange, feel free to choose not to look at the image - it is one of a few designs, but it may be the one you get!)
Project Picture:

picture

2 Likes

Congratulations on completing your AS Project plaidpineapple! You have just earned 100 points for your house!

:tada: :tada:

1 Like

That night light is FABULOUS.

Class or Challenge Title: Headmistress Trees - Ribbon
Project Name & Page Link: Deer Gift Mug Mats
Brief Description: More gifts for family! My mom is sending a gift basket of snack and hot chocolate to my in-laws, and I made these mug mats to go along with the basket.
Link to the In Color Order blog tutorial and more pics in the FO post.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Headmistress Trees - Angel
Project Name & Page Link: Flyers Mug Mat
Brief Description: More gifts for family! This Flyers mug mat is for my mom.
Link to the In Color Order blog tutorial and more pics in the FO post.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Book Club - Cht 5
House: Slytherin :snake: :cookie:
Project Name & Page Link: Gluten Free & Dairy free Backoblaten
Brief Description: Used a YouTube tutorial to make Gluten & Dairy free backoblaten, to be used for Elisenlebuchen later this week. I altered the recipe be using GF flour, and plain Crisco instead of butter or margarine. YouTube link in FO post
Project Picture:

1 Like

Class :Alchemy
House Ravenclaw

I did a journal page today, needed to get my head away from torturous house sale. This has a lot of gold on the page.

Class: herb
House: ravenclaw.

This year’s glitter house, a castle, with plenty of snow.

It has its own thread here 2020 glitter house (castle) aka sorta putz houses

5 Likes

A new Hermione’s Book Club prompt has been posted!

class: Flying
Ravenclaw

This is a notebook that I’ve made for a dear friend for Christmas, she’s got a goth soul, so hopefully she’ll love it.

Class: HOM
Ravenclaw
This is for her husband, he loves boats and so it fits the traveling aspect of this prompt.

Class, divination
House, ravenclaw

Lots of fine lines of stitching in this one. It’s a quilt for my cousin. Link here: New quilt, Christmas gift for my cousin

!

5 Likes

That quilt is awesome. Love all the colors!

It’s so bright and happy! Wonderful.

Class or Challenge Title: Book Club - Cht 6
House: Slytherin :snake: :cookie:
Project Name & Page Link: Elisenlebkuchen
Brief Description: I am quite known for baking in my family and friends. This year I tried a new recipe that I think my German rooted family will love: Elisenlebkuchen! Recipe on Food52 is linked in the FO post.
Project Picture:

3 Likes

They look yummy @CraftsUntold I’ll be right over

1 Like

Bring some Gluhwein! :wink:

Okay, I apologize in advance because I have crafted A LOT over the past 2 weeks and I’m going to try to cram it into one very pic-heavy post.

Class or Challenge Title: Astronomy
Project Name & Page Link: Acrylic Nightlight- Nubby and Anubis
Brief Description:
I love making these simple etched night lights. After deciding on a design I upload it into my Cricut machine and use the engraving bit to etch the design onto acrylic. I then use a plastic cutting utensil to trim and shape the acrylic to fit the night light base. This one fits Astronomy because it features Nubby, the dog of one of my dear friends, James. Remus may not have truly been a dog in any sense, but he was also certainly one of James’ best friends.

Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Care of Magical Creatures
Project Name & Page Link: Block printed gift bags
Brief Description: I decided to opt for reusable bags for small gifts this year to cut down on our total paper footprint, and couldn’t resist using my favorite linocut moth to stamp them
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: flying
Project Name & Page Link: Acrylic initial ornaments
Brief Description: I made a set of 4 of these ornaments for my secret Santa at work. Weeding the holographic vinyl to create the wreath effect was incredibly challenging and hard to see because of the shine! I love how they turned out though.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Headmistress- 12 Trees: Angel
Project Name & Page Link: Nutcracker- red
Brief Description: this nutcracker was made for one of my older sisters. She has supported me throughout many seasons in my life and has definitely served as an angel in many of them.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Headmistress-12 Trees: Baubles
Project Name & Page Link: Nutcracker- green
Brief Description: this nutcracker is for another of my older sisters! Green is one of my favorite colors for my work and this nutcracker is holding a palette and cup of water which is how you can generally find me on the weekends.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Headmistress-trees: Candles
Project Name & Page Link: Acrylic Nightlight- Corsair
Brief Description: this nightlight was made as a gift for my dad. He was a pilot in the navy and this is the type of plane he flew. This highlight will bring some colored light to my dad’s office.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Headmistress- 12 Trees: Fake Snow
Project Name & Page Link: 2020 dumpster fire batch ornaments
Brief Description: I made these ornaments for work peers, from pre-cut acrylic ornaments and vinyl I cut on my cricut.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Headmistress-12 Trees: Lights

Christmas Card exchange pics included!

Project Name & Page Link: Block printed Christmas cards and envelopes
Brief Description: for our Christmas cards this year I carved a retro-looking ornament and some Christmas lights to decorate the envelopes. I hope that the recipients receive a little sunshine with the card and that it brightens their day.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Headmistress-12 Trees: Tinsel
Project Name & Page Link: Nutcracker- Light Purple
Brief Description: I made this nutcracker for my mom and love the way the light catches on the beads and sequins. It definitely sparkles in the light.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Headmistress- 12 Trees: Tree Skirt
Project Name & Page Link: Nutcracker- countdown
Brief Description: I made 4 nutcrackers this year, but this is the one I kept for myself! It serves as a decorative item and also as a countdown to Christmas.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: History of Magic
Project Name & Page Link: eyeglass holders
Brief Description: So these eyeglass holders were inspired by traveling and my morning commute. My eyeglasses frequently fog up if I wear a mask, and I need them for most tasks. These chains allow me to rest them off my face as I travel from place to place without experiencing the fog effect.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: house unity
Project Name & Page Link: Acrylic Nightlight- Hogwarts
Brief Description: this nightlight was made as a gift for my baby sister who is also a big HP fan. It captures the best of all four houses, Hogwarts.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Potions
Project Name & Page Link: Dill Pickles
Brief Description: these pickles were made for my secret Santa as well!! I used this recipe (and made adjustments) and they turned out much better than anticipated! I chose these as my prompt for potions because my go-to method to shock my system when I can tell that I’m approaching an anxiety or panic attack is to taste something strong- lemon, mint, or brine tends to help shock my brain enough to allow me to figure out my next step.
Project Picture:

2 Likes

Love all of your nutcrackers! It’s my goal in life to have and trade diy nutcrackers and have my own nutcracker army.

Challenge: 12 trees—candles
House: Slytherin
Project Name: Teddy and fox Xmas painting
Project Description: I’m going to be giving this 9x12 painting to my dad for Christmas. I’m sure that it’ll bring a happy glow to him and to his house for this holiday and ones to come.

Challenge: 12 trees— tinsel
House: Slytherin
Project Name: Teddy builds a snowman
Project Description: it’s impossible to tell that I actually added some really sparkly watercolor to this painting. But I swear it’s there. This 9x12 painting of Teddy Cuddlestuff is going to my mom for the holidays.

2 Likes

Gah, I am so behind on posting! I have been looking at all the lovelies, and crafting, but somehow taking pictures and writing up is just one bridge too far. But I am going to do my best and post a couple projects a day until I get caught up. Better to get some of them in than to wait until I have the time/mental energy to do a project dump!

Class or Challenge Title: Arithmancy
Project Name & Page Link: Bunny Ami #2
Brief Description: This is the second of 3 bunny amigurumis that were my Xmas presents to my nieces this year. This one has already been mailed off.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: DET - Stash #1
Project Name & Page Link: Bunny Ami #3
Brief Description: Last of bunnies for my nieces - all were 100% from stash, including safety eyes and embroidery floss for the face. This is actually from inherited yarn from my grandma, so I love the idea of making something for the next generation from that.
Project Picture:

2 Likes

Those bunnies are so cute!

Quick project for me

Class detention stash
House ravenclaw.

I made two of these today, the fabric is from spoonflower and it’s 50s horror movie posters.

5 Likes