CLOSED: Harry Potter Craftalong - Yule 2020/21

Canā€™t believe I didnā€™t have this thread bookmarked! I feel behind :sweat_smile:

You even have them on your OWS list :stuck_out_tongue:

@CraftsUntold your projects are great!

2 Likes

That soap is so cool!!

Thanks! We are having so much fun making them!

Join in some Halloween fun by crafting up some festive goodness for the Slytherin Halloween Party!

Those that complete all five prompts listed in the Slytherin common room will receive a special spooky piece of art to have forever and ever. Head on over and get creating!

2 Likes

Canā€™t wait for this! :smiley:

~ ADVANCED STUDIES PROPOSAL ~
Project Name: Teacher Bag
House: Hufflepuff
Brief Description: (how it fits the requirements, pattern/techniques used, materials using, plan of action, expected timeline, etc.) I am in desperate need of a new teacher bag. I need something large with lots of specific use pockets. I have not had luck finding one I love to purchase. So, I have decided this is the year I create my own. I shall transfigure some flat waterproof canvas into a lovely shape that can all of my potions, spell books and maybe a mouse or 2. I suspect this will take me at least 15-20 hours as I modify a pattern and add lots of new details to it. I hope to finish it in 3 weeks.

1 Like

Class or Challenge Title: Defense against the Dark Arts
Project Name & Page Link: DIY Garlic Powder
Brief Description: We were running low on garlic powder, but I accidentally purchased garlic twice this month so I wanted to try to make it myself! Not bad, but Iā€™ll probably alter the time or temp in the future.

Basic recipe: take one head of garlic and slice each clove as thinly as you can. Lay flat in sheet pan and place in oven at lowest setting.

I kept checking back and it took about 4 hours to get to the paper feeling I was looking for. I then removed it all from the pan and turned it into a powder using my coffee grinder.

Definitely a stronger garlic flavor than what I would have purchased at Kroger, but also a little more bitter.

Project Picture:

1 Like

Hey Friends! The HP Holiday Swap is still in signups. Due to a snafu, it wasnā€™t appearing in the list of open swaps, so Iā€™m extending them through tomorrow evening. Come play with us! The swap is for 1 smallish item (frequently an ornament), and you can choose to have 1,2, or 3 partners.

2 Likes

I wish I could join the hp holiday swap. But most of my craft supplies are still in boxes. So no crafting for me until we get more unpacked. :cry:

1 Like

Class or Challenge Title: Divination
Project Name & Page Link: Folksy Cutlery Wrapping Paper
Brief Description:
Iā€™ve been drawing a lot of spoons this month and decided to take it a step further.

The serrated lines on the knife really remind me of the Divination promptā€”- im excited to use these for future cards/ATCs.
Project Picture:

5 Likes

I love your cutlery stamps!

1 Like

Paging @Abbeeroadfor an AS abandonment: CGOA Master Class course. It just hasnā€™t been what brings me joy in this awful year.

~ ADVANCED STUDIES PROPOSAL ~
Project Name: Quilted Autumn coffee table topper
House: Slytherin
Brief Description: (how it fits the requirements, pattern/techniques used, materials using, plan of action, expected timeline, etc.)
This is expected to be completed over the next 2 or 3 weeks. It will be the largest item that I have sewn or quilted to date. I found a Disappearing 9 block pattern in a magazine and will be using a couple blocks to create the topper. Materials are some cotton remnants from Joannā€™s in fall themes and in complimentary colors, with a couple fat quarters.

@plaidpineapple @CraftsUntold - Your AS proposals have been added to the project log! Good luck and happy crafting. Canā€™t wait to see your progress! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Advanced Studies Update: Well, Iā€™m all out of yarn, so I should be done, right? Nope. After I got through my 2nd of 4 skeins on the body, I became worried I wouldnā€™t have enough yarn. I jumped over to the sleeves, so that if I needed to order more yarn and it was slightly different in color, then at least the top of the body & sleeves would definitely match. After I finished my sleeves, I went back to the body, and finished off the last of my yarn. I got through row 44 before running out. The pattern recommends going to row 46, but Iā€™m really short, so I tried it on to see if it would work. It fits great, but isnā€™t quite long enough, so I ordered another skein last night. That should get me 2 or even 4 more rows, plus the fringe.

Now to dig through my button stash to find something fun to use as the clasp.

2 Likes

@beholder_folklore your stamps and wrapping paper are sooooo cool!!! I love how rustic they are!

@MistressJennie that was great idea to go to the sleeves before you ran out. Bummer that you have to wait for more yarn, but itā€™s looking pretty awesome in the meantime! Where do you like to order your yarn? Iā€™ve done a bunch from Knit Picks and really like what Iā€™ve gotten so far, but Iā€™m always curious to see what else is out there!

1 Like

I donā€™t really have one favorite yarn source. I do adore Darn Good Yarn, because so much of their stock is upcycled, ethically sourced, and Fair Trade, and they people with developmental disabilities to work for them in the US. They hire women in India & Nepal to make & dye their yarns, and pay fair wages, allowing many of their women to work from home, and their sari yarns recycle so much cloth that would otherwise end in landfills. But much of their yarn is unusual, and a bit hippie. Not perfect for every project.

For more normal yarn, I have ordered from Webs (aka yarn.com) several times, as well as KnitPicks. I ordered the original batch of this yarn from Webs. The very lovely @pottermouth had sent me a gift certificate there, and I treated myself to some fancy Noro yarn that was on discount due to an overstock. Iā€™d always wanted to try their stuff, but itā€™s pricey, so this was the perfect excuse to indulge. Sadly Webs is now out of the yarn in that color (though they do have other colors on sale for $9.99), so I had to search around on the net. I found some at lovecrafts.com for $17.99.

1 Like

Class or Challenge Title: Arithmancy
Project Name & Page Link: N/a
Brief Description: This wallhanging hides a rainbow-dice-sword within its crazy-quiltness. It was also made to send to a partner in a swap.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Charms
Project Name & Page Link: Link to tutorial used - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwtuO6kkMTA
Brief Description: I am really trying to practice my drawing and painting, neither of which comes naturally, and when this tutorial showed up on Pinterest, I decided to give it a go to send to a colleague who is struggling with a tough project at the moment.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Headmistress - October
Project Name & Page Link: Link to recipe - https://bakeplaysmile.com/microwave-salted-caramel-fudge/
Brief Description: This was the easiest fudge I have ever made, no messing around with thermometers. And it tasted so good!
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Herbology
Brief Description: These Autumn Leaf Twinchies have elements of green within them, but I also find making Inchies and Twinchies very comforting ā€“ it is a craft form I return to time and again, and the thing that brings me back to crafting after I have suffered a loss of mojo.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Hermioneā€™s Book Club ā€“ Ch.1
Brief Description: I have been seriously neglecting my drawing practice, so I practiced by drawing a calla lilly. Took me a few attempts to get one I was happy with. This was sent to a friend who has been struggling being on her own during lockdown.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: House Unity
Brief Description: Inspired by the colours of Ravenclaw, I painted a page ready to be cut up for backgrounds. It made enough for a pocket letter (9xATC), 6 Twinchies and a dozen Inchies.
Project Picture:

They incorporated both glitter and shimmer powders, so are so prettyā€¦

4 Likes

So many amazing crafts already shared, having a go at sugar scrub is now on my to try list! And I love the soap with the added monocle :heart_eyes:

@MistressJennie - I love, love the colours of your yarn - so pretty.

1 Like

OOhh! Iā€™d not heard of Darn Good Yarn! That sounds like an amazing company!! TBH I didnā€™t know about any of those companies! Thank you so much for all the links!!

I actually subscribe to DGYā€™s monthly yarn subscription box. When I signed up it was $10 to get a skein of their yarn (usually silk), along with a pattern, and a surprise gift, like buttons, or an amigurimi kit. They have since upped the price to $20 per month, but those of us who were members before the switch were grandfathered in, and kept our $10 price. They also allow you to ā€˜doubleā€™ your yarn on a month by month basis. So I usually double it, and pay $20, to get 2 skeins of the same yarn, so I have more to play with when pattern hunting.

I had looked into several yarn or crochet subscription boxes in the past, and most were $40+, and only included cheap acrylics and patterns I wasnā€™t interested in. I liked the affordable price of a monthly treat, and the fact that it was a high quality supply, artisan made, and eco friendly. They also give you Karma Points for every dollar you spend, and you can turn them in for items on the website or gift cards to the site. Each year I tend to let them accumulate, then buy myself something fun around the holidays.

Here are a few projects Iā€™ve made with the yarn.
Tuck Away Tote
Calypso Wrap
From the Ashes Shawl
Elise Shawl
Good Stuff Baskets (for the Use the Good Stuff Swap)

Let me know if youā€™re interested in ordering from them, and Iā€™ll dig through my emails to see if I have coupon codes for you.