CLOSED: Harry Potter Craftalong - Yule 2020/21

Class or Challenge Title: Headmistress Challenge- Jan
House: Hufflepuff
Project Name & Page Link: Tunic pattern: Simplicity 9046
Brief Description: It has been a long time since I have sewn some clothing for myself. I made the time, banishing the thought of doing housework. I love this pattern, it ended up exactly as I was hoping.

3 Likes

Class or Challenge Title: Detention - Stash 2
House: Slytherin :snake:
Project Name & Page Link: Gryer Shawl
Brief Description: Used some stash yarn to knit up a quick, squishy garter stitch shawl for ME. Yarn and pattern details in the FO post.
Project Picture:

4 Likes

I love this! Great colors! :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Gorgeous!

1 Like

It’s getting to be time again for Valentine’s Day! Every year for the past few years Slytherin house has hosted a Valentine’s Day card exchange. This works like the Christmas cards. No pressure to send to everyone. And no need to worry if you can’t send or your Valentine’s get lost.

Just pm me, @ErinAquaheart, your addresses by January 23 and I will send out the address list to you on the 24th.

Class or Challenge Title: Headmistress - January
House: Gryffindor!
Project Name & Page Link: Sawtooth Star Block
Brief Description: The Quiltalong 2021 thread here on LC has lots of fun stuff going on, including a Block of the Month Challenge. I want to spend more time this year quilting, and this seemed like the perfect inspiration to do so. Therefore I banished all distractions today, and dove in. This is January’s challenge block, the Sawtooth Star. (The linked tutorial has cutting sizes for finished blocks 4"x4" up to 20"x20", if you wish to try one yourself.) I’m looking forward to working on this throughout the year, and have pulled out all my jewel toned and plain black scraps to put towards a finished quilt.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Book Club Ch. 8
House: Gryffindor!
Project Name & Page Link: Apple Crisp
Brief Description: I had a few apples that were on the edge of going soft, so I turned them into a half-batch of apple crisp! Perfect amount for just the two of us.
Project Picture:

4 Likes

Y’all making me want to join the quilt along. I must resist!

1 Like

Love the block @MistressJennie, I keep looking at the quiltalong thread and resisting :slight_smile:

Few more projects from me…

Class or Challenge Title: Alchemy
Project Name & Page Link: https://www.africanbites.com/homemade-brioche-bread/
Brief Description: Brioche bread contains lots of golden butter, is brushed with a golden egg wash before baking and needs to have a golden crust before you bring it out of the oven.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Astronomy
Project Name & Page Link: https://cheflindseyfarr.com/2014/12/traditional-raspberry-linzer-cookies/ - I used this recipe, but wouldn’t make it again – the biscuits were too hard for this type of cookie, so the jam just squidged out when you bit into them.
Brief Description: I had some leftover cookie dough from make linzer cookies (see DADA), so just cut out some small cookies and iced them in two colours. The spikes make me think of sharp wolves teeth.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: DADA
Project Name & Page Link: https://cheflindseyfarr.com/2014/12/traditional-raspberry-linzer-cookies/ - I used this recipe, but wouldn’t make it again – the biscuits were too hard for this type of cookie, so the jam just squidged out when you bit into them.
Brief Description: The bright red of the jam in the middle of these cookies stands out like a blood red gem.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Detention - Stash
Project Name & Page Link: n/a
Brief Description: For a while I subscribed to Craft Box, a monthly subscription box full of crafty bits and pieces, so I had everything in my stash for this autumn wall hanging.
Project Picture:

Brief Description: I was challenged to carry out an “old time” craft, so picked macramé. I have done some in the past, but it was a challenge to pick it back up – many youtube videos were watched just to create this small keyring. All parts of this were already in my stash.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Hermione’s Book Club 8
Project Name & Page Link: Roast Carrot & Parsnip Soup
Brief Description: I had some parsnips and carrots that needed using up, so made them into soup. No specific recipe followed but…
Peel and chop carrots (I had 4) and parsnips (I had 3), coat them in oil, salt and pepper and roast in a hot oven until golden. I also roasted 8 cloves of garlic (left in their skins), but took them out half way through.
Roughly chop some onion (I had 3 small ones) and sweat in a little oil. Squeeze the roast garlic out of their skins and add in once the onion is softened. I added some thyme, but replace with your favourite herb, and I added a veg stock cube and some black pepper. I added in about 2 pints of chicken stock, which was what I had, but veg stock would work too.
Once boiling I added in the roast carrot and parsnip and left simmering for about an hour.
Once cool, I blended with a stick blender and it was really thick, so I added another pint of veg stock, which was enough to thin it down, but leave a nice thick soup.
Enjoy with crusty bread.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: House Pride
Brief Description: These autumn inchies make me think of the warmth of the Hufflepuff common room and snuggling down with an open fire, a warm drink and snuggly blanket.
Project Picture:

1 Like

I’ve been crafting up a storm, but haven’t been submitting anything so it’s time to take a dump. A homework dump! (Yes, I’m giggling like a silly 12 year old at my jokes over here.)

Class or Challenge Title: Alchemy
SPEW or LC Contest: I made this when I was a Swap Angel…not sure if that counts. :woman_shrugging:
House: Gryffindor
Project Name & Page Link: Niffler Ornament
Brief Description: Everyone knows Nifflers love gold! This little guy I trapped has taken some gold coins with him as well!
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: DADA
Project Name & Page Link: Slow Ho Ho Ornament
Brief Description: Definitely has the color red! Although, the cuteness might not scare any vampires away. This was made for @RagingSloth for her love of sloths for the ornament swap!
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: SoAR
Project Name & Page Link: Sawtooth Star Block
Brief Description: Translated from a pattern (which I read over, and over, and over because I’ve never made a quilt block other than paper piecing or plain blocks) I made the Quilt-a-long’s January Block of the Month!
Project Picture:

And for some fanciness! Advanced Studies time!

~ COMPLETED ADVANCED STUDIES ~

Project Name: Home for Christmas 3D Stitch House
Project Page Link: Home for Christmas. (3D Cross-stitch!)
Brief Description: Made me a house! Was excited about it, but then I hated the fabric. We battled. In the end I won, though!
Project Picture: (More pictures in its post!)

And since now I turned that in, I can do this:

~ ADVANCED STUDIES PROPOSAL ~
Project Name: Winter Wonderland Sampler
Brief Description: This project I started on Jan 4 and I’ve been slowly making progress, just haven’t gotten around to officially proposing it since I hadn’t submitted my competed Christmas house yet. :blush: It’s the winter version of the fall sampler I did. Expected time to make according to magazine: 48 hours. Definitely Advanced Studies material if you ask me! It’s from the January 2021 issue of Cross Stitcher magazine.

Here’s a sneak of what it’s supposed to look like when it’s done:

6 Likes

Beautiful work @Whistlefish. I love your cross stitch work :heart_eyes: it takes me sooo long to complete a cross stitch

1 Like

Awesome!!! I love that little stitched house, even if the fabric was frustrating! You have earned 100 points for your house and your new AS proposal has been added to the project log! :tada: :tada:

2 Likes

Huzzah! Are you allowed to “pause” an Advanced Study, propose a new one, then resubmit the previous one? (I hope that makes sense!)

Hey! I will only track two AS proposals at a time. If you want to “pause” the Every Season Stitchalong, for example, you can, no prob, but it won’t show up in the project log. You can propose something else instead, just note in your new proposal that it’s replacing the stitchalong. You’ll then have to re-propose the old one to "reinstate it’ before you submit.

1 Like

Oh that Niffler is just adorable! I went and had a look at the Etsy store you bought the pattern from and now have so many I need to make :smiley:

1 Like

There’s so many good ones!!

1 Like

Project Name & Page Link: Bento Box block
Brief Description: I joined the 2021 Quiltalong here on LC, and made January’s Block of the Month. And got hooked… So I’ve made a few more scrappy blocks using various free 12" quilt block patterns. They are all made with jewel toned fabrics, and solid black, so that they will hopefully feel unified when I put them together into a quilt. The green polka dots were from my niece Mia’s baby quilt, I cannot remember where the green leave came from, and the grasses were from a wedding quilt for my friend Alison.
Project Picture:

Project Name & Page Link: Scrappy Double Quartet block
Brief Description: Another miscellaneous block made with scraps of purple, and black. The darker purple cranes are from the same wedding quilt for Alison, and the purple stars were from a baby quilt for my niece Ari.
Project Picture:

1 Like

Each of your blocks will be pieces of stories!

2 Likes

Happy Birthday to you
Happy birthday to youuu
Happy BIRTHDAYYY dear @Abbeeroad happy birthday to youuuuuuu!
:balloon::balloon::tada::birthday::birthday:

5 Likes

Thanks, lady. :heart:

2 Likes

Happy birthday darling Abbee!
Abbee

7 Likes