CLOSED: Harry Potter Craftalong - Yule 2020/21

Great items PrincessP, I particularly love the patchwork pouch, sewing machine cover and of course- the LC patches.

1 Like

hourglasses
:zap: Headmistress Jennie casts the House Points Charm! :zap:

The votes are in, and our date time has been set!

:heart: :cupcake: :cupid: :kiss: :love_letter: :rose: Valentine’s Craft Date at Madam Puddifoot’s :rose: :love_letter: :kiss: :cupid: :cupcake: :heart:

Date: Saturday, February 13th
Time 3:00-5:00pm, CST (4:00pm EST, 1:00pm PST, 9:00pm Ireland/UK, 10pm Norway, 8:00am Australia)
What to Bring: A cup of tea & a treat (if you wish), and a craft project to work on.
How: Zoom, with meeting details to be posted the day of the event.

3 Likes

Yay! I’m looking forward to this! :coffee: :cake: :love_letter: :computer:

What a cool idea to make a quilt out of pillow cases and I love the quilting bee patch!

1 Like

~ ADVANCED STUDIES PROPOSAL ~
Project Name: Muggle Doll Shoes
House: Hufflepuff
Brief Description: With a new term coming up I am feeling motivated to try something I have been wanting to learn for a while. Muggle dolls have such small feet. It is a wonder to me how shoes can be built in such a tiny proportion without magic. I have tried to create a couple of pairs, but they turned out terrible. I would like to devote time to learning to create doll shoes.
I want to create them using different mediums:
*fabric *polymer clay *pleather *altering premade shoes
Along with using different materials, I would like to make a variety of shoe types:
*sandals *heels *boots *slippers
Learning from previous shoe failures I need to try a variety of glues and learn from some master shoemakers via youtube.

Lastly, I need to make a shoe rack to display the new shoes. I expect it to take 20 or more hours to become a decent apprentice shoemaker. I am hoping to have the project done in a month.

1 Like

:sparkles: :owl: :scroll: Reminder from the Headmistress: This term of the HPC will end on Sunday, January 31st, at midnight! Be sure to post any last minute projects before then. The Ostara Term will begin Monday, February 1st, sometime after my first cup of tea. :wink:

3 Likes

Awesome AS proposal! I’ve added it to the project log for both this term and next! :wink: Happy shoe making!

Challenge Title: Detention: Advanced Studies
House: Gryffindor!
Project Name & Page Link: Art Journal Progress
Brief Description: After a couple zooms and an initial doodle page, I have some progress to share on my 2021 art journal! The before pictures would just be blank pages…hope it’s ok I’ve omitted them.
Project Pictures:

Challenge Title: Detention: Stash
Project Name & Page Link: Quiltalong BOM
Brief Description: Yep - another block of the month! Not perfect, but this whole quilt block thing is new to me! Love that 2021 is pushing my crafty horizons! All stash materials…bonus!
Project Picture:

Class Title: History of Magic
Project Name & Page Link: Paw Patrol Travel Pillow Cases
Brief Description: I got these little travel pillows for my girls to take to daycare and on car rides. They came with perfectly fine pillow covers, but after a year, I felt we could spruce them up a bit. Paw Patrol is a current fave in our house, so I deconstructed the old case (it had a nice flap that tucked in on the open edge) and whipped up some replacements! Now we can travel in style. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Project Picture:

Class Title: Potions
Project Name & Page Link: MLP PJ Pants
Brief Description: Nothing makes you feel safer than some nice, oversized cozy pants, right? Made for my daughters with My Little Pony flannel, I followed this pattern in 3T, but they are still a little too big for my kiddos.
Project Picture:

2 Likes

Class: Apparition
House: Slytherin
Project Name: Silhouette tattoo pad
Project Description: I had to make a stencil that I traced from a printed sheet and then transferred to the plastic pad. I actually had to do this twice because I didn’t “pass” the first one I did. Lol the first one looked terrible!

Class: DADA
Project Name: Deer Valentine’s
Project Description: I made handmade Valentine’s for a Valentine card exchange her on LC. These feature a little red deer. I’m blurring the image because I haven’t sent them out yet!

Class: HoM
Project Name: Teddy in a hat box
Project Description: these Valentine’s were made to be sent in the mail. This traveling across the country. They are also going to other crafty mischief makers. Which is what the Marauders were.

Class: Potions
Project Name: Hippo Valentine’s
Project Description: blurred because the haven’t been sent yet. I find watercoloring really reduces my anxiety. And making happy mail does that too! So I made these Valentine’s with watercolors.

Class or Challenge Title: Detention-Repairo
House: Gryffindor
Project Name & Page Link: Dyed Silk Shawl
Brief Description: I made this shawl back in 2018, and love the feel of it, but wasn’t crazy about the lilac & pale mustard color scheme, so it’s mostly sat in a drawer since them . Yesterday I pulled it out and gave it new life by dyeing it with food coloring. Here’s a link to the tutorial I used: Hand Dyed Yarn at Home
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Iron Chef - Grapefruit
House: Gryffindor
Project Name & Page Link: Grapefruit Olive Oil Cake
Brief Description: I was thrilled to have an excuse to bake a grapefruit cake for Date Night tonight. Isn’t a ‘healthier’ olive oil cake with whole wheat pastry flour, lower sugar, and poppyseeds.
Project Picture:

Advanced Studies Friday update: My giant afghan continues to grow! I’m on skein 12 of 20.

1 Like

That is such a massive afghan! And it’s looking so good! Are you going to add a border to it when it reaches the correct size?

Wow, that is one BIG blanket! What’s the finished size he asked for? King bed I’m guessing? Looks great!

And wow, that dye job really worked some magic! It looks so good in that color scheme!

1 Like

Slytherin House is hosting a Valentine’s card exchange! The date to participate has been extended to February 5th. Just pm me your address and on February 6th you will get a list of people that you can send Valentine cards!

This isn’t a swap and there won’t be any consequences for not sending or being late or anything like that.

:sparkles: :owl: :scroll: Note from the Headmistress: Hello Friends! It is almost time for a new HPC Term to start, and it looks like we are in need or a new Professor or two! Professors write the prompts for their classes each term. That’s it. No further responsibility. We are currently looking for History of Magic and Study of Ancient Runes. So if you’d like to be a professor, please send me a PM!

We may also have two other classes open, but I am waiting to hear back on those, until later today.

1 Like

hourglasses
:zap: Headmistress Jennie casts the House Points Charm! :zap:

Thank you! And nope. No border. The stitch is a herringbone double crochet, which is a slanted stitch, so as you go back and forth each row, you are creating a scalloped edge along the sides. It’s actually very pretty, and unlike the usual (unsightly) raw edge of a normal dc stitch. Here’s a picture of the edge.

My friend initially asked for 4’ x 7’ or 8’, so I did the yarn math based on that. But after we ordered the yarn, he asked for it to be 5’ wide instead. :woman_facepalming: It’s supposed to be a throw blanket all for him, as he finds average throws to be not big enough. But honestly, I think he’s way over estimating. David isn’t a big guy, he’s a pretty average sized adult male. I’m definitely wider than him and my favorite throw is 4’ across, and when I’m sitting on the couch, it’s wide enough to tuck in behind my sides. We ordered 19 skeins of the yarn, and actually received 20 in the box, so one bonus skein. I widened the pattern based on my test swatch, but it looks like my calculations are a little off. I was aiming for 5’ across, and ended with it about 5’4". So now I’m just hooking until I run out of yarn. Based on how long it was after 10 skeins, I’m estimating it will end up about 6’6" long.

Thank you! I actually built today’s outfit around wearing my newly dyed scarf and I’m loving it.

2 Likes

I now have to research dyeing with food coloring…I have some lovely scarves that I don’t wear much because the colors are just not me…and I do love purple…I think the transformation is absolutely lovely and surprising!

The saga of your monster afghan is so fun! That is a lovely edge and the stitching is just so perfect!

Here’s a link to the tutorial: DIY Hand Dyed Yarn at Home

1 Like

Wow, that afghan is stunning and I love the colour.

Class or Challenge Title: Detention – WIP challenge
Project Name & Page Link: http://thedinnerbell.co.uk/2013/12/viennese-mince-pies/
Brief Description: I made sure I had double the amount of mincemeat at Christmas, as I really wanted to try mince pies with a Viennese top, as well as classic mince pies. It had sat there until last weekend, when I finally got around to making them – only a month after Christmas! (Definitely need to practice the Viennese topping, this would not pipe out of the piping bag, so I had to take it all back out and ended up just spooning it on top!)
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Headmistress - January
Project Name & Page Link: https://www.africanbites.com/homemade-brioche-bread (This is the same recipe I used for plain brioche, I just added the choc chips before the first prove.)
Brief Description: I love to bake bread and I love brioche, so this baking session was all about me. (Luckily I have others to share it with though :D) I have used the recipe before and it came out lovely, so I just had a look at a couple of recipes with choc chips and they both had them added before the first prove, so I went with that. However, half of them melted during the prove, so when I knocked it back and shaped it, ready for the second prove, it turned into chocolate swirl brioche. Tasted good though :heart_eyes:
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Hermione’s book club – Chapter 9
Project Name & Page Link: n/a
Brief Description: Whilst food shopping, I suddenly had a need for cheese bake and crusty bread, so I made sure I had all the ingredients, knowing I had some roasted red pepper and tomato sauce in the freezer already. The great thing about this dish is that you can add cheeses to suit your taste.

Tomato Sauce – I made a large batch of this with leftover tomatoes in the summer and some red peppers that were reduced when I went shopping. I batch it up into single portions and freeze. For this batch I roasted and peeled 4 large red peppers and sliced into strips. I peeled and chopped about 2 dozen tomatoes and finely chopped two onions. I cooked the onion over a med-low heat, in a little oil and butter, until softened and then added in the chopped tomatoes and peppers, a sprinkle of sugar and salt and pepper to taste. I left it simmering over a low heat for about 30 minutes. Once cold, I batched it up and popped it in the freezer – I love that I can have a taste of summer during the middle of winter.

Cheese mix – I used a tub of cream cheese and beat it with a wooden spoon until softened. I added in some soft goats cheese, a handful of grated extra mature cheddar and a handful of grated parmesan and mixed well. Once I had added half the mix to one oven safe dish, I added in a little stilton to mine.

Pile the cheese mix in the middle of the dish and spoon the tomato sauce around the edges. Bake in the over, on a fairly high temp, until slightly golden on top and the sauce is bubbling. Serve with plenty of crusty bread.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Potions
Brief Description: I am always a little anxious when hubby is away or has to work late, especially when he has to drive home late after a long day. One thing that always helps me to relax is to cook or bake – having something to concentrate on distracts my brain. And as hubby hates risotto, I love to cook it when cooking for one. I never use a recipe for risotto, but…

Chop a squash into 1cm squares, coat in oil, salt and pepper and roast in a hot oven until golden around the edges.

Have a pint of hot veg stock ready, either homemade or shop bought.

Whilst the squash is roasting, finely chop one small onion and soften in some butter and a little oil over a med-low heat – you don’t want too much colour.

Add in a couple of handfuls of risotto rice and stir until all grains are coated.

Add in hot stock, a ladleful at a time and keep stirring until the liquid has all gone, before adding another ladleful.

Keep going until all the stock has gone. Try a little of the rice, if it is still a little crunchy, you may need to add a little hot water – keep adding a little liquid and once gone, try the rice, until the rice is softened. (Sometimes I find it needs a little more – seems to depend on the brand of rice I have in the cupboard!)

Add in chopped stilton, to taste, the roasted squash and a handful of grated parmesan. Taste before adding salt and pepper to taste. (I find that using stilton, not much salt is required.)

Stir in to mix and serve immediately, sprinkled with a little more grated parmesan.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: SOAR
Brief Description: As well as painting some Christmas cards in watercolour, I also made some with sheets of printed music. As someone who cannot read music, they certainly look like strange markings to me!
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Transfiguration
Project Name & Page Link: https://www.aheadofthyme.com/2016/11/leftover-cranberry-sauce-muffins/
Brief Description: I always find I have leftover cranberry sauce after Christmas, so googled recipes to try and use it up. I found a recipe for cranberry muffins, so started making them and discovered I didn’t have enough cranberry sauce, so I had to substitute some of the cranberry sauce for apple sauce. They were not very pretty, but they tasted good – I probably wouldn’t go out of my way to buy cranberry sauce just to make them again though.
Project Picture:

4 Likes