CLOSED: Harry Potter Craftalong - Yule 2020/21

I don’t really have one favorite yarn source. I do adore Darn Good Yarn, because so much of their stock is upcycled, ethically sourced, and Fair Trade, and they people with developmental disabilities to work for them in the US. They hire women in India & Nepal to make & dye their yarns, and pay fair wages, allowing many of their women to work from home, and their sari yarns recycle so much cloth that would otherwise end in landfills. But much of their yarn is unusual, and a bit hippie. Not perfect for every project.

For more normal yarn, I have ordered from Webs (aka yarn.com) several times, as well as KnitPicks. I ordered the original batch of this yarn from Webs. The very lovely @pottermouth had sent me a gift certificate there, and I treated myself to some fancy Noro yarn that was on discount due to an overstock. I’d always wanted to try their stuff, but it’s pricey, so this was the perfect excuse to indulge. Sadly Webs is now out of the yarn in that color (though they do have other colors on sale for $9.99), so I had to search around on the net. I found some at lovecrafts.com for $17.99.

1 Like

Class or Challenge Title: Arithmancy
House: Hufflepuff
Project Name & Page Link: N/a
Brief Description: This wallhanging hides a rainbow-dice-sword within its crazy-quiltness. It was also made to send to a partner in a swap.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Charms
Project Name & Page Link: Link to tutorial used - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwtuO6kkMTA
Brief Description: I am really trying to practice my drawing and painting, neither of which comes naturally, and when this tutorial showed up on Pinterest, I decided to give it a go to send to a colleague who is struggling with a tough project at the moment.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Headmistress - October
Project Name & Page Link: Link to recipe - https://bakeplaysmile.com/microwave-salted-caramel-fudge/
Brief Description: This was the easiest fudge I have ever made, no messing around with thermometers. And it tasted so good!
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Herbology
Brief Description: These Autumn Leaf Twinchies have elements of green within them, but I also find making Inchies and Twinchies very comforting – it is a craft form I return to time and again, and the thing that brings me back to crafting after I have suffered a loss of mojo.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Hermione’s Book Club – Ch.1
Brief Description: I have been seriously neglecting my drawing practice, so I practiced by drawing a calla lilly. Took me a few attempts to get one I was happy with. This was sent to a friend who has been struggling being on her own during lockdown.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: House Unity
Brief Description: Inspired by the colours of Ravenclaw, I painted a page ready to be cut up for backgrounds. It made enough for a pocket letter (9xATC), 6 Twinchies and a dozen Inchies.
Project Picture:

They incorporated both glitter and shimmer powders, so are so pretty…

4 Likes

So many amazing crafts already shared, having a go at sugar scrub is now on my to try list! And I love the soap with the added monocle :heart_eyes:

@MistressJennie - I love, love the colours of your yarn - so pretty.

1 Like

OOhh! I’d not heard of Darn Good Yarn! That sounds like an amazing company!! TBH I didn’t know about any of those companies! Thank you so much for all the links!!

I actually subscribe to DGY’s monthly yarn subscription box. When I signed up it was $10 to get a skein of their yarn (usually silk), along with a pattern, and a surprise gift, like buttons, or an amigurimi kit. They have since upped the price to $20 per month, but those of us who were members before the switch were grandfathered in, and kept our $10 price. They also allow you to ‘double’ your yarn on a month by month basis. So I usually double it, and pay $20, to get 2 skeins of the same yarn, so I have more to play with when pattern hunting.

I had looked into several yarn or crochet subscription boxes in the past, and most were $40+, and only included cheap acrylics and patterns I wasn’t interested in. I liked the affordable price of a monthly treat, and the fact that it was a high quality supply, artisan made, and eco friendly. They also give you Karma Points for every dollar you spend, and you can turn them in for items on the website or gift cards to the site. Each year I tend to let them accumulate, then buy myself something fun around the holidays.

Here are a few projects I’ve made with the yarn.
Tuck Away Tote
Calypso Wrap
From the Ashes Shawl
Elise Shawl
Good Stuff Baskets (for the Use the Good Stuff Swap)

Let me know if you’re interested in ordering from them, and I’ll dig through my emails to see if I have coupon codes for you.

Hey friends! Just FYI, I’ve been crazy busy the last two days, and haven’t been able to post a new Hermione’s Book Club prompt. So rather than pull my hair out, I’ve decided to extend the current prompt until the 18th. I’ll post a new one on Monday, the 19th.

3 Likes

I’m so glad this challenge is extended, so many things has happened and I didn’t remember the deadline until the day after.

Class or Challenge Title: Hermione Book Club ch #1
House: Slytherin
Project Name & Page Link: Dragon phone case
Brief Description: I’ve neglected my brothers request for weeks, told him to keep asking/reminding me because I forgot so many things. Finally, after a month or two I’ve finally completed his phone case.
Project Picture:

6 Likes

Well I, for one am glad the book club chapter got an extension!

Class: Apparition
Project Description: I focused on the Minister of Magic and Support Staff (located on Level One) while completing this project. I made a bulletin board for our library, with pictures of the staff dressed up in costumes. Sorry for the blurry pic, but that way I don’t compromise anyone’s privacy.
Project Pic:

Class: Charms
Project Description:Another library project! Our town does a thing where participating businesses/services make a scarecrow and lash it to one of the light poles along the only road through town. For ours, I made Turnip Head from Howl’s Moving Castle. Hopefully it will make people smile as they pass by!
Project Pic

Class: Divination
Project Description: This little cushion uses a shell stitch that has clusters of 5. I’m hoping to do some others to coordinate with it… :slight_smile:
Project Pic:

Challenge: Hermione’s Book Club Chapter 1
Project Description: I’ve had this fabric sitting around for masks for way too long now - been neglecting it something terrible! I also had a new mask variation I wanted to try. Here’s the link. So far, I’ve only test worn it a little, but it does a great job of not fogging my glasses. Tomorrow at work will be the true test!
Project Pic:

@MistressJennie, I have some yarn to chew through, and then I will probably be hitting you up to see if you have any codes, because I love the whole idea of that yarn, and it looks lovely as well!

Here is a completely frivolous extra that took no time. I was a little short on elastic, so I made this strap to go across the back of my head to save my ears. It’s just velcro with some cute cabochons hot glued on. Now I want to make a Honeydukes fabric mask to go with! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I love your Turnip Head!

I love your turnip head! HMC holds a special place in my heart (both the book and the Studio Ghibli adaptation).

Class or Challenge Title: Headmistress Prompt- Jelly Slugs

House: Hufflepuff :badger::yellow_heart::black_heart:

Project Name & Page Link: Apple Butter for Canning- Link to Recipe

Brief Description:

My first attempt at canning, I was able to fill two mason jars with apple butter from apples we picked earlier in the season. These jars will be split up and one will go to a friend for her birthday and the other to my boss at work for Boss’s day.

Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Hermione’s Book Club- Chapter 1

House: Hufflepuff :badger::yellow_heart::black_heart:

Project Name & Page Link: Crow Linocut Card

Brief Description:

A friend of ours turns 28 today and this birthday will be a little lonelier than last years given the state of things. She’s got a murder if crows that live near the lake near her hole and I tried to capture one for this card to cheer her up!

Project Picture:

3 Likes

Class or Challenge Title: Hermione Book Club ch #1
SPEW or LC Challenge: Cozy Autumn Challenge
House: Slytherin :yarn:
Project Name & Page Link: Pairfect Autumn vanilla socks
Brief Description: I started this pair back in April, and i think the dark colors (which I usually LOVE) put me off working on it during the height of Covid-19 and it’s depressing-ness… They were VERY neglected, but no more! Finally finished.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Detention - AS, 2 hours of progress
House: Slytherin :yarn:
Project Name & Page Link: Mike’s Custom Scarf
Brief Description: This is a bit more than 2 hours progress on this. I have made it to the large arrow in the design, so that’s great. this is in-the-round colorwork, so the progress is a bit deceptive looking at one side of it.
Project Picture:
BEFORE (when I restarted it using a different method)

AFTER

6 Likes

You gals have been busy! Everything is looking amazing.

1 Like

I’ve been busy doing digital art work lately. Very new to me. I’m learning a lot. Procreate is amazing.

Class: Charms
Project Name: jackolantern kitty
Project Description: as I said I’ve been learning to use procreate and do digital art for my tattoo apprenticeship. I make this little kitty in a jackolantern for fun and to practice.

Class: Flying
Project Name: Black and gray scale flowers
Project Description: one of my tattoo homework assignments was to make gray scale realism. I choose five flowers. My instructor called them painterly but passed me on to color realism anyway. I’m stressing about color realism. I don’t feel ready.

Class: Herbology
Project Name: watercolor mandala
Project Description: for art therapy I made a mandala with ink and watercolor. It isn’t perfect but it was fun and relaxing.

Class: Muggle studies
Project Name: tea flash sheet
Project Description: using the muggle devise called an iPad I made a tattoo flash sheet for one of my early tattoo homework projects. I had to do this one twice because I screwed up the first time around.

6 Likes

Not really sure what this means?? But I love the flowers, they are stunning :heart_eyes:

I love the stacked teacups. I always love your color choices, too.

wait. Is today Friday again!?

2 Likes

All day darling. All day.

1 Like

LOL…It felt like Friday 2 days ago…I can’t keep it straight anymore.

6 Likes

Erin, I love your tattoo designs. Your black and grey flowers are absolutely lovely.

Class or Challenge Title: Headmistress Challenge - October
House: Slytherin :snake: :cupcake:
Project Name & Page Link: Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free Apple Cider donuts
Brief Description: Rhinebeck (NY Sheep and Wool) is happening virtually this weekend, and a lot of people have lamented the lack of apple cider donuts that is a tradition at the festival. Not me! The one time I attended in person I could only look on in envy at people with their gluten filled donuts. This morning I used my fancy new donut pans and made my own!
I used Maple Sugar instead of plain sugar to top them with. SO GOOD.
Project Picture:

9 Likes