CLOSED: Harry Potter Craftalong - Yule 2020/21

Those look so yummy!

1 Like

Class or Challenge Title: Book Club Ch 1
House: Hufflepuff
Project Name & Page Link: Rabbit Ami #1
Brief Description: My oldest niece has Down’s syndrome, and her main stim is bouncing dolls with long legs. Earlier this year, her rabbit of this kind finally kicked the bucket, so I decided I would make her a new one for Christmas, which for better or worse means that’s what I’m making for all 3 nieces. This one has been done for AGES, except I was just putting off embroidering the face. I finally got that done, and realized it’s no big deal for the next two.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Charms
Project Name & Page Link: Snowman Ami
Brief Description: Of the things I inherited from my grandma was ~4 pounds of white Red Heart Yarn (also contributing the rabbit choice above), so I downloaded the pattern for these little snowmen. They’re just so cheery! I’m tempted to make a whole line of them to sit on my mantle all winter.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Herbology
Project Name & Page Link: Green Broomstick Skirt
Brief Description: I finished a springy skirt just in time for it to be too cold to wear! This is Simplicity 1110, view C, made with a crinkle knit, which I have sworn off using in the past (darn you red tag fabric!) This has also been mostly done for a long time (I know I did the waistband with literal scraps of elastic, because we were in hard lockdown, so probably March?), but I made hand sewing the hem my “conference call craft” and knocked it out in about two days.
Project Picture:

2 Likes

Class or Challenge Title: Book Club - Ch 1
House: Gryffindor!
Project Name & Page Link: Runs With Scissors Patches
Brief Description: I spent much of my weekend learning to make patches with my new-to-me embroidery machine. I had a lot of trouble at first, so I went to a basic patch made by Urban Threads, and followed their tutorial for making them freestanding by using water soluble stabilizer. After that I learned how to put backs on them right before the final embroidery, so they have a finished look. You can see the light blue one was my first. I managed the black with backing second, and the following ones. Three will be going to friends in a private Halloween swap.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Headmistress October
Project Name & Page Link: Lettuce Craft Patches
Brief Description: This was my reason for wanting to learn to make patches! I wanted to make some of PrincessP’s LC patches. She kindly shared the digital file with me, and I think I made 4 faulty attempts before finally getting one to work right. Turns out the pattern didn’t want to work the same way as the tutorial I was following for a freestanding patch with backing. Now I’ve got three decent ones done, and I’m nearly out of felt. I didn’t have any light felt, so I went with black and dark grey. I think of them as the site in “Dark Mode”. These three are going to friends in the same private swap.
Project Picture:

6 Likes

hourglasses
:zap: Headmistress Jennie casts the House Points Charm! :zap:

1 Like

A new Hermione’s Book Club prompt has been posted!

3 Likes

I love the ‘dark mode’ patches, very clever.
I’m glad you figured out how to make the patch work for you :slight_smile:
There’s no way I think I will ever run out of felt :sweat_smile: :sweat_smile:

Class Title: Muggle Studies
Project Name & Page Link: Shirt
Brief Description: I used some fancy muggle technology- a Cricut and Heat Press-to create a t-shirt. I purchased the design, but have not been able to locate where.

Class Title: Potions
Project Name & Page Link: pillowcases
Brief Description: I created 2 pillowcases to help my son to cuddle up and feel secure in bed.

2 Likes

I had bought 9 sheets of felt in various colors, figuring that would be plenty for several patches each. But really I could only get 2 squares the right size from each piece. Since the Runs With Scissors patches have backs, that meant that 1 sheet did just 1 patch, front & back. When I switched to doing the LC patches one sided, I could get 2 out of each sheet. After my patch making weekend, I was down to just 2 sheets left. So yesterday on my way home from the doctor’s office, I stopped at Joann’s and grabbed some more. I picked up 8 regular sized sheets, and 5 of the giant double sized ones. Let’s hope that keeps me busy a little longer. Especially since our dog is going to the groomer for a few hours on Saturday. I’ll be able to sew without terrifying her!

Challenge Title: Detention: Reparo!
Project Name & Page Link: Mended leggings
Brief Description: I’ve been wearing my favorite pair of black leggings with a hole in the knee for weeks. I finally decided to give it a patch!
Project Picture:

Challenge Title: Headmistress: Jelly Slugs
Project Name & Page Link: Brownies!
Brief Description: Inspired by the recent episode of GBBO, I decided to whip up some brownies for my fam. We added unicorn vanilla morsels for extra cheer. :slight_smile: Note: cooling the brownies for 2 hrs before eating like the recipe suggests really helps! Ask me how I know. :wink:
Project Picture:

3 Likes

Class or Challenge Title: Arithmancy
Project Name & Page Link: Home Sweet Home Sign
Brief Description: I bought this white blank wall plaque to paint for kittykill in the OWS October. I started by drawing on the flowers and then adding paint. I then printed out and used transfer paper to make a stencil onto the plaque with the wording that I wanted and then painted it in. I’m super happy with how it turned out. The flowers are based off this beautiful print: https://www.istockphoto.com/vector/vector-seamless-pattern-gm1074664246-287682138
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: DADA
Project Name & Page Link: Green Tomato Salsa
Brief Description: I had a ton of green tomatoes that I had to pull before the frost hit. My husband loves salsa verde, so I canned up a BIG batch. It took forever peeling those darn green tomatoes! I used quite a bit of habaneros from the farmer’s market and got a decently spicy salsa! Huzzah! Of course, it has garlic in it. :wink:
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Headmistress Prompts: October - Jelly Slugs Challenge
Project Name & Page Link: Heads in a jar
Brief Description: I saw a fun craft on pinterest that I had to try. I decided I wanted to put my kids’ heads in jars, because why not?! Lol, yeah I’m a weird mom. I snapped front and side pictures of my kiddos and used photoshop to blend them together. I printed them out and laminated them. I added water and food coloring to a couple large jars and put in the heads. Now we have a creepy decoration for our Halloween party on Saturday. In lieu of trick or treating, we are doing a small party for the kids. Its gonna be a blast!
Project Picture:

3 Likes

:sparkles: :scroll: :owl: Note from the Headmistress…

Please remember when using Hermione’s Homework Planner, you should only be writing on YOUR page of the spreadsheet. Please don’t make notes on the Master sheet. As I have no way of knowing who made them, I can’t move them to your individual pages, so they will just be deleted.

Challenge, Hermione’s Book Club CHAPTER 2
Project Description: Boy, did I make a mess for this one! Seriously. I should have thought to take a pic at the height of the chaos, LOL! I made this for work, and I had SOOOOO much fun doing it. I had suggested doing a cardboard facade of Jack Skellington’s house for part of our department’s pumpkin contest, but when I sat down to do it, this happened instead. It was super relaxing to make, because his house is pretty rickety, so nothing had to be perfect. :slight_smile:
Pics:
THE CHAOS (or a bit of it)

And the house:

7 Likes

Fun!!!

Thanks! I finally got around to doing my “pumpkin” for our display as well!

Challenge: Jelly Slugs
Project Decription: I was assigned the sad faced version of the Mayor from Nightmare Before Christmas. So here’s my creepy little dude.
Project Pic:

5 Likes

Only a few more days to participate in the Slytherin Halloween Party! Check out the Slytherin common room at the beginning of the thread to see the prompts. (Remember these are for fun not house points) There is still time to snatch up a cute, made-for-you, Halloween painting!

1 Like

Class or Challenge Title: Divination
House: Slytherin :snake: :yarn:
LC Contest: Cozy Days Challenge
Project Name & Page Link: Uneek Jacoby Fingerless Mitts
Brief Description: Some mitts to match a previously knit hat. Fits Palmistry Divination for obvious reasons.
Project Picture:

7 Likes

Ooooh! @CraftsUntold I love those mitts!! :heart_eyes: And OMG I just noticed your teacup! Ooooohhhhhh!!! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh I got that cup at Home Goods last year, along with another Halloween themed one that has cats on it. Home Goods is a dangerous place for my wallet. :laughing:

2 Likes

Haha. Truth!

Excellent mitts!

And instantly recognizable pumpkin @Moonflame!

@Abbeeroad Thank you!

I haven’t been to HomeGoods in a long time. Hmmmm. . . :wink:

2 Likes