CLOSED: Harry Potter Craftalong - Yule 2021/22

OK… this isn’t quite the normal HPC project so feel free to tell me ot doesn’t count, but I’m hoping that you’ll agree its on the spirit…

Class: Flying
House: Hufflepuff
Project: Not a mouse
So… I knitted nearly all of a stuffed toy mouse. Took about (??) 3/4 hours?

But as I came almost to the point of stuffing, I wasn’t feeling it. No personality. He sat unworked on for a couple of weeks

And then tonight I finally decided, since I was only making him for fun and I’d stopped having fun, to rip him back, rewind, and reorganise all my adorable little mini skeins into their ball bands and tidied away

Cute, right?

4 Likes

Those are so cute! I love that you were able to let a project “go” because you realized it wasn’t fun anymore. All too often I would just throw it in a bin where it just clutters up my room for years and years.

1 Like

Honestly, that would normally be me too, but I just couldn’t help but keep thinking how much cuter they looked in the bowl!
When I have nice yarn, I defo feel the pressure to “use it well” - sometimes so much that I never use it because no pattern will ever be “good enough” … i think that tenancy has actuality served me well here!!

2 Likes

hourglasses
:zap: Headmistress Jennie casts the House Points Charm! :zap:

A new Hermione’s Book Club prompt has been posted!

1 Like

Hey friends, there’s a new LC Challenge up! Remember, if you participate in a site challenge, you get 10 bonus points when you post here too. :gift:

3 Likes

Class or Challenge Title: Transfiguration
House: Slytherin
Project Name & Page Link: Another Skein of Sweater Yarn
Brief Description: I’m now halfway through the 4 pounds of fiber that I bought to spin into ‘sweater yarn.’ That is, wool in a nice weight for a sweater (or two). This is the 8th skein and each skein takes approximately 11-12 hours of work.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Astronomy
Project Name & Page Link: Spinning a Small Breed Sampler
Brief Description: I’ve been wanting to try some new wool breeds and blends to get better at spinning and learn about the different varieties out there. There are just so many different breeds of just sheep, it’s crazy pants! I started small with this seven-breed ‘Au Naturel’ sampler from RH Lindsay Wool Merchants. I’ve learned that I do not enjoy spinning the rougher breeds, but I absolutely adore Rambouillet…could spin that all day long.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Detention - WIP Challenge
Project Name & Page Link: Rainbow Batik Colorwash Quilt
Brief Description: This full-size quilt has been in-progress for most of the year - what a relief to have it finished! It was a labor of love and I hope my DS2 loves it as much as I do.
Project Picture:

5 Likes

Class or Challenge Title: Arithmancy
House: Gryffindor!
Project Name & Page Link: Bananas Foster Butter
Brief Description: I really do love both cooking, and canning, though I know it’s not everyone’s cup of tea. After teaching my recent canning class, I still had all the canning tools and supplies out, so I decided to make a batch of Banana’s Foster Butter. I love this recipe because it’s incredibly cheap to make. About $2 worth of bananas, and 3 T of rum are the most expensive ingredients.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Book Club Ch 11
Project Name & Page Link: Butterscotch Pecan Shortbread Mixes
Brief Description: These are for for my pile of Christmas gifts for friends and neighbors. I wanted an excuse to use up some older quart jars in my cupboard, and I had most of the ingredients on hand. Just need the butterscotch pudding mix, and butterscotch chips. The fabric covers are from a fat quarter of Christmas fabric my mom sent me a few years ago, and the baker’s twine came from a previous craft swap. Perhaps the GBBO swap I did with @PerfectlyBohemian? Not sure. But I liked getting to reuse the pieces that had been stashed in a zip bag in my ribbon drawer.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Headmistress - November
Project Name & Page Link: Cranberry Hootycreek Cookie Mixes
Brief Description: These will be another addition to my gift stash for friends and neighbors I’m grateful for. Again, I got to use up jars in my cupboard, and I had nearly all the ingredients. Just had to buy the white chocolate chips. The labels are Avery printable labels I’ve had in my stash forever (they came in a pack of 250), which I stuck to pieces of cardstock. I loved pulling everything from stash for the labels.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: SoAR
Project Name & Page Link: Ranch & Ras El Hanout Spice Mixes
Brief Description: More handmade Christmas gifts! While losing weight over the summer, one of my few indulgences was a plant based dark chocolate pudding that came in these cute little jars. They were such a great size, I kept them all. Now I have about 30! They are too small for candles, so I decided to make up some spice mixes with them. Fun fact: Ras el Hanout translates as basically ‘best of the (spice) shop’, so I was very literally crafting with the best I was able. I was shy of fabric by just 1 jar. I’ll have to find another scrap to use up for that one.
Project Picture:

Project Name & Page Link: Raspberry Rose Jam
Brief Description: Another (final) canning project for the season. Last weekend I found raspberries on crazy sale price, so I bought 6 packages, and made a basic jam, with the addition of 1/4 tsp of rosewater. Canning does take time and patience, but the results are always worth it.
Project Picture:

6 Likes

That is some serious food prep!

Class or Challenge Title: Charms
Project Name & Page Link: Godzilla Baby Maternity Tee
Brief Description: This project is all for me! Back when my husband & I learned we were having a girl, he gave her the placeholder name of ‘Abigail Godzilla’, and we’ve been calling her Godzilla since then. I’ll be telling my parents about her on Thanksgiving. Since we can’t do it in person, I decided to send them some pictures of the ‘three’ of us. I made this tee with heat transfer vinyl, so little Godzilla could be visible in the picture. I found an image of Godzilla holding a plane, and edited it to be a baby bottle, then added the bow and hearts. After all, girls can grow up to be giant lizard sea creatures warped by nuclear bombs too! This is a quick selfie, but the project post does contain the posed family photo with my husband and I.
Project Picture:

7 Likes

I’m not dead! Just overwhelmed by baby. :sweat_smile:

Class or Challenge Title: Headmistress Challenge - November
Project Name & Page Link: Gluten Free Pumpkin Pie
Brief Description: Made pumpkin pies to share with family. First time making pie crust from scratch, using my usual pumpkin pie recipe. makes 2 pies. I used the crust recipe from the King Arthur gluten free apple pie . Filling is as follows:
(1) 29oz can pumpkin puree
(2) cans Eagle sweetened condensed milk
4 eggs
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg

Do not blind bake crust. Bake at 375 F for 15 min, lower temp to 325 for another 40 min or so.
Project Picture:

4 Likes

Congrats!

1 Like

Those quilts are gorgeous!

1 Like

~ COMPLETED ADVANCED STUDIES ~
House: Hufflepuff
Brief Description: I finished!! I love these “Clyde Pants”. The large pockets are wonderful and the linen feels great. It took a few different pattern alterations to get the perfect fit, but so worth it. https://elizabethsuzannstudio.com/collections/clothing-accessories/products/clyde-work-pant-in-cotton-canvas-clay

7 Likes

Wow! That quilt is amazing :heartpulse:

1 Like

I love your shirt! How have you been feeling? Hopefully you haven’t had too much of the first trimester icky’s. Congratulations!!

1 Like

Thank you! Honestly, the worst part of the pregnancy was the huge injections my husband had to give me every night for the first 12 weeks, due to going the IVF route. Each one was 2ml of thick oil, with a huge needle. They took forever to inject. And the estrogen patches that went with them took layers of skin off my abdomen. LOL Other than that, as long as I eat something every 1.5-2 hours, I’ve been feeling pretty good. I was tired in the first trimester, but nothing terrible, and now that I’m in the second, I’m not as exhausted. I’m still swimming laps, albeit slower, and walking the neighborhood. :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

I’ve missed so many lovely projects.
@MistressJennie You are a canning machine, and they all look so tempting.

@tendstowardschaos that yarn looks great. I may be slowly tending towards spinning, but I will see how the dyeing of the yarn that is on the way to me goes first. And that quilt is just gorgeous

@plaidpineapple those pants are wonderful, the pockets!

@Noodle I am in awe of anyone who can do fairisle knitting, and for fun?!

Class Astro
House Ravenclaw
Project, The gentlemans wardrobe of the wayward bee. This was a big project to put some love into a very neglected little piece of furniture, it has it’s own thread here Gentleman's wardrobe of the wayward bee

but this is what it looks like now.

This is the before

3 Likes

:package: :owl: :gift: Pop Quiz: What do you guys think of a small version of the HP Holiday Swap? :gift: :owl: :package:

I’ve been so distracted with the pregnancy this fall, that I didn’t set up our usual HP Holiday earlier. It normally includes 2 weeks of signups and 4 weeks of crafting, and up to 3 partners. TBH, that’s just too much for my brain to handle right now. But I know a lot of folks really love the swap, and love adding to their collection of ornaments. So… I’m thinking of signups today, through the 30th. Then Sendouts on December 14th. Hard deadline. No late sends! Because if anyone is late, their packages won’t arrive in time, with the holiday rush the postal service expects. So because of the shorter crafting time, I’m thinking just 1 partner per person.

If people are interested and want it, I’ll set it up today. If this feels too rushed and like not enough time, we’ll skip it for this year, no hard feelings.

1 Like

Project Name & Page Link: Christmas Stollen
Brief Description: my second year making gluten free Stollen. I have adjusted the recipe by adding more xantham gum to the gluten free flour, and letting it proof longer.
Waiting for the fruit to soak in the rum, waiting for the dough to proof, and finally waiting at least a week for the finished loaves to “ripen”, this is a lot of waiting.
(Loaves are currently wrapped up and sitting in the pantry shelf in the garage).
Project Picture:

3 Likes