CLOSED: Harry Potter Craftalong - Yule 2021/22

hourglasses
:zap: Headmistress Jennie casts the House Points Charm! :zap:

Final Xmas projects…

Class: Charms
House: Hufflepuff
Project; Hall, stairs & landing painting
So… I put off doing this because I was scared of painting on the ladder while I was doing the stairs… but I really wanted to get out done before Christmas (I had guests) so I womaned up and cracked on with it. Of course, the colour I chose just for me - but more importantly the process was for me too because it was only by getting it done that I could prove to myself I could do it!

Only the landing is pictured but I also did all the stairwell & downstairs hall - just brilliant white eggshell so less exciting than the landing but looks so much better for being fresher

Challenge: Detention reparo
Project: coat repair
So… I forgot to take a before pic, but this ankle lenght coat had come apart at the seam up to the waist (it has needed repairing for… a while…)

I stiched it back up on the train on my way to a NYE street party where I would need to wear it for warmth!

Challenge; Detention Stash
Project: Christmas plants
I grew these from seeds, repotted a couple of times along the way and finally into these proper terracotta pots with festive bows. The bows are ribbon taken from presents given me in previous years, and are mostly glued in place to hold them up on the pots! I think the photo shows about half of them (due to limited space under the tree but still getting light in the daytime)

Challenge; Heads challenge Jan, 12 trees Baubles
Project: gift box packaging
My style guide is very heavily based on the idea of trying your best and good intentions… but equally I know that things around me tend to be a bit punk rock n smudged eyeliner. So, all good intentions here with decorated boxes, tissue and shredded tissue for my pamper packs to nestle in. And then some smudged eyeliner on the form of a severely unhappy paper shredder (they do NOT like tissue)!

4 Likes

Class or Challenge Title: Headmistress Angel
Project Name & Page Link: Carmels
Brief Description: My dad and mom are my angels. They are Always there for me. For Christmas I made my dad a snack and treat basket, including homemade carmels.
Aunt Sarah’s Carmels
2 cups sugar
1 cup corn syrup
1/4 tsp. Salt
1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
1 cup evaporated milk
1 tsp. vanilla

1. Mix sugar, syrup, salt, cream and ev. milk in large pot. Cook stirring constantly until the mixture reaches 236 f. degrees. Once it reaches 236 turn the heat down. Cook until it reaches 242 f.
  2. Remove from heat and add the vanilla. Pour into a buttered 9 inch x 9 inch pan.

Note: This takes longer than you would expect to cook. From start to finish, plan on at least 40 mins to an hour.

Class or Challenge Title: Headmistress Candles
SPEW: Yes for https://www.heartsknittogether.org/
Project Name & Page Link: Baby Doll Dress
Brief Description: I crafted this doll dress to go with a baby doll donation to a group who puts together welcome kits for refugees and battered womens shelter kits.

Class or Challenge Title: Headmistress Icicles
Project Name & Page Link: Fantasy Fudge
Brief Description: The classic “Fantasy Fudge” needs to stay at a rolling boil for a few minutes to cook properly. It is an easy fudge based on marshmallows and chocolate chips. It is pictured above in the picture with the Carmels.

4 Likes

@skrutt how cute is Frida the Christmas llama???!! She reminds me of a story I heard on This American Life about a moose who lived in the woods near a city, but in the autumn when food was scarce he’d end up coming into town and eating so many windfall apples he’d end up drunk- and then he’d get his antlers wrapped up in town stuff - anything that might be hanging down like kids swings or Christmas lights - so the animal rescue guy would end up having to tranq him like a couple of times a year to unhook all the town stuff this drunk moose was dragging round in his antlers!

2 Likes

@ErinAquaheart Lynn, I’m so sorry for your loss. Erin will be missed she was an important part of our little corner of the internet.

I’ve also missed out on a lot of projects. Some yummy baked goods @MistressJennie and @skrutt I love the Christmas llama. So cute. @Noodle the blue on your wall is fab!

I’ve loads of projects to post, as I didn’t post many of my 12 days of Christmas items, but it’s almost midnight here, so at the risk of turning into a pumpkin, I’ll do most of them tomorrow. (I’ve also finished my be NEWT)

Head mistress challenge trees-tinsel
House Ravenclaw.

Project this year’s glitter house, this makes 12 years in a row that I’ve been making these.

Head mistress challenge trees-candles
House Ravenclaw

Project: this throw as a gift for my sister, it’s vintage velvet lined with embroidered linen and a fringe. It definitely warmed her heart.

Head mistress challenge trees-star
House Ravenclaw

Project- for my other sister I made this patchwork quilt as a Christmas gift.

6 Likes

~ COMPLETED ADVANCED STUDIES ~
House: Ravenclaw
Project Name: medieval russian outfit
Project Page Link: (if available)
Brief Description: this took me months. Constructing the tunics didn’t take too long. But all the straight braid had to be attached to a curved hemline, the collar was cut out of some Thai silk from stash. And all the beading on the head dress and collar is freshwater pearls, sewn on. But thanks to bloody Covid, the event that i was going to wear it at, was cancelled. So it’s as yet unworn
Project Picture:

First layer, red under tunic. This is long, down to my feet, but the sleeves are worn extra long and pushed back, so it makes it look short in this picture.

Over tunic, black linen with silk trim and freshwater pearls. And very silly sleeves.

Linen head wrap (hand hemmed)

Freshwater pearl trim, on headband, with temple rings.

There’s also a close fitting linen cap under the veil, to hide all my hair. Only a loose woman would show hair.

Finally done! On to my next, bonkers, advanced study proposal

11 Likes

Class or Challenge Title: Divination
Project Name & Page Link: Green Paisley Doll Dress
Brief Description: It definitely fits the green part of the prompt, and I suppose if you have an active imagination the paisley motif could look leaf-like, right?

Class or Challenge Title: Headmistress’ Challenge - Hagrid’s Christmas Tree: Angel
Project Name & Page Link: Snowman Sweater Set
Brief Description: This is kind of obscure, but given that my gift giving circle has shrunk considerably in the past year, I’ll go with a dress for a doll that was named “Angelique” by her company of manufacture.

8 Likes

Wow Edel, your costume is amazing. That is a lot of detail. I can only imagine how long the handwork took. Gorgeous!

Class or Challenge Title: House Pride
Project Name & Page Link: Clipboard
Brief Description: A clipboard I decorated in Hufflepuff style.

7 Likes

Hey friends, be sure to vote in the Great LC Holiday Bakeoff Challenge! Voting closes in 10 hours!

~ ADVANCED STUDIES PROPOSAL ~
Project Name: Illuminated manuscript
House: Ravenclaw
Brief Description: This is a totally bonkers idea, but I love crazy ideas. I have an an essay to do for art school. It is only 1000-1500 words, but forms a significant part of one of my modules for this year. The brief is to take one piece of pre 1900 art and answer one of a set of questions. The question I am answering is ‘Discuss the materials and techniques used in making this work and comment on the status and value of the materials used, Support with historical evidence’

I love blue and I love lapiz lazui. Up until the 18C the ultramarine blue you see in paintings was often made from pure lapis. I decided to make the pigment from a stone and try it out and write about my findings (having okayed it with the prof) but from there I spiralled. I have made medieval ink in the past and one of this years resolutions is to practice hand lettering.

We are required to submit our work digitally but for fun (I have wierd ideas of what constitutes fun) I decided that it would be so cool to produce a copy of the essay in the form of a medieval illuminated manuscript. My reference for my essay is a 15c french illuminated page. My plan is to first write the essay normally and then to produce a copy as an illuminated manuscript. I will first learn how to do gothic textura script. Write out my essay, then add bits of gold leaf and then paint, I will copy the illustration from my reference piece-using the lapis lazuli paint. and add painted intitals for some of the letters and a painted border.

The essay is due in April, but I hope to hand it to my professor before then and hopefully watch her eyes pop out of her head. :wink:

7 Likes

Class Muggles studies
House Ravenclaw
Project this were for @aimr in the ornament swap, she likes flamingos too and how could I resist! I did the painting (and glitter) on a purchased wooden snowflake.

Class Detention-Reparo
House Ravenclaw
Project, I altered another snowflake to suit me ( :wink: or @aimr in this case) gnomes!!

Class Transfiguration
House Ravenclaw
Project This took forever. It is an illuminated initial, mostly just for practice for my advanced studies. The drawing was prepared, some areas painted in with gesso, and allowed dry overnight, then the gesso was gold leafed. And the design painted in with the tiniest brush and gouache paints. Playing card and brushes for scale.

Class Head Trees Lights
House Ravenclaw
Project, I made these 50s inspired pouches for my partner @jemimah for the 12 days of christmas swap, hopefully to warm her heart

6 Likes

@Edel, your project does sound both completely bonkers, and amazing. I can’t wait to see what you do darling!

Thank you, and thanks for access to the homework planner :kissing_heart:

1 Like

What @Edel - that outfit it incredible. Almost enough to distract me from that shameful lock of hair on show :wink:!
Seriously, its stunning.

1 Like

I know, shocking!!

2 Likes

Your Medieval Russian Outfit is beautiful, Edel! And you look stunning in it! Congrats on finishing. You earned 100 points for your house! :tada:

And your next wildly ambitious project has been added to the project log! Good luck!

Ah-hem.

:scroll: Note from the Advanced Studies Examiner’s Office :scroll:

Each year, I like to clean out some Advanced Studies Proposals that seem to been hit with Arresto Momentum. I have collected those proposals that are more than 3 years old below. Please let me know if you wish to extend your proposal and I will reinstate them with a new date. If you do not plan to continue the proposal, you can ignore me and it will be deleted from the log by the end of the month.

:lion: Gryffindor
@MistressJennie Astronomy, Feb 10, 2018

:badger: Hufflepuff
@katiebread Potions - Polyjuice Potion, July 16, 2018
@Moonflame Muggle Studies, Feb 10, 2018
@patty_o_furniture Divination 2, Dec 10, 2018

:eagle: Ravenclaw
@Audania Transfiguration, May 21, 2018
@TheArtsyRaven Muggle Studies, June 6, 2018
@tiamatfire SoAR, March 16, 2018 AND Charms, April 30, 2018

:snake: Slytherin
@Ashes7727 Charms, March 5, 2018
@cheyenneatheart Transfiguration Option 1, May 4, 2018

Thank you all for your time and attention!

1 Like

Class or Challenge Title: Alchemy
House: Gryffindor!
Project Name & Page Link: Bankhead Hat Pattern
Brief Description: I made this hat as an xmas gift for Mr. Road. It’s knitted rings! He has barely taken it off, so I had to snag a pic on his head. :roll_eyes:
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Arithmancy
Project Name & Page Link: Bankhead Hat #2 Pattern
Brief Description: I made this hat as an xmas gift for my BIL. Knitting is definitely a medium I love, but I know some folks don’t like it!
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Astronomy
Project Name & Page Link: Grogu Ornaments Tutorial
Brief Description: My previous attempts at poly clay projects were serious fails. I don’t know why I decided to try again! I made 2 of these little poly clay ornaments - a new (successful) medium for me!
Project Picture:

Challenge Title: Detention: WIP
Project Name & Page Link: Quilted Coasters
Brief Description: These quilted coasters were made from blocks I pieced as part of the Quiltalong earlier in the year. They sat around until Xmas when I decided to finally turn them into something useful and fun!
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Herbology
Project Name & Page Link: Holiday Sugar Cookies
Brief Description: These cookies are both red and white (and green), and a perfect antidote to a delayed Xmas celebration due to COVID stress and anxiety.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Muggle Studies
Project Name & Page Link: Lentil Loaf
Brief Description: The blender was my friend for this recipe (blended lentils and blended oats).
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Potions
LC Contest Entry: LC Bake Off Challenge
Project Name & Page Link: Yule Log Cake
Brief Description: Inspired by the LC Bake Off Challenge, I decided to attempt a Yule Log Cake for the first time. It certainly required dangerous overconfidence for a non-baker like me to jump into this recipe!
Project Picture:

6 Likes

Challenge Title: Detention: Stash
Project Name & Page Link: Rebel Alliance Mug Rug
Brief Description: This ticker tape style mug rug was made fully from stash!
Project Picture:

7 Likes