CLOSED: Harry Potter Craftalong - Yule 2021/22

Class or Challenge Title: Headmistress prompts - Angel
House: Hufflepuff
Project Name & Page Link: Emil’s birthday gift
Brief Description: Emil is my best friend, and a true Angel in my life. So as a last minute gift I knitted a little Pookie for him.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Headmistress prompts - Lights
Project Name & Page Link: Party frogs for my brother
Brief Description: My younger brother collect frogs (on my initiative :grin:) so I made him some art to hang on his wall, and I think it lighted up his holiday! (I got the inspiration from a drawing I found on pinterest)
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Headmistress prompts - Star
Project Name & Page Link: Little Monkey boy
Brief Description: Made a knitted monkey for a friend as a xmas gift. And I think knitting is my major craft/talent right now.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Headmistress prompts - Crafters choice
Project Name & Page Link: Frida the xmas llama
Brief Description: Participated in an amigurumi CAL this december, and we made a christmas llama, named Frida.
Project Picture:

5 Likes

Your yarn guys are all so cute!

1 Like

Thank you so much! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Class/Prompt: Headmistress’ Challenge - Bells
Project Links: Made using this recipe [link]
Description: Our family’s traditional christmas cookies are pizzelle. They look pretty (if you can plop the batter in the center of the iron), taste pretty great (not to sweet and not too strong as long as you don’t use Mrs. Fusco’s recipe where the anise clears your sinuses) and make the house smell marvelous. I got about 80 cookies out of this year’s batch.

Class/Prompt: Headmistress’ Challenge - Fake Snow
Project Name: Handcut Stickers
Brief Description: I’m making a cross between a bullet journal and a scrapbook for 2022 and I felt like it needed some doodled plants for decoration. I can’t draw worth a hill of beans so I bought a printable on etsy, and since I didn’t feel like dealing with my silhouette machine I cut them out by hand. It was a christmas gift for mysef.

7 Likes

A new Hermione’s Book Club has been posted!

4 Likes

:sparkles: :owl: :scroll: Note from the Headmistress…

Hello Friends! You may all have noticed that the last few Hermione’s Book Club prompts have been posted late. To be honest, with all that’s going on in my world, I’m finding it hard to keep up on such short-range prompts. And with the baby coming in April, I fear falling even further behind on these mini-prompts. So for that reason, I’m going to try switching the Book Club prompts to Monthly prompts. We’ll try this for a bit, and see if it works better for me. If it’s still very hard to keep up with, I may eliminate them for a while, until my life settles a bit. The rest of the Craftalong should remain exactly as it is. Thank you for understanding!

5 Likes

Happy New Year, Everyone! :partying_face:

2 Likes

Happy New Year darling!

1 Like

Happy new year!!

I almost forgot!

The next stop on our Iron Chef Around the World Challenge is…

:it: Italy: Try out anellini al forno, osso buco, or panna cotta.

4 Likes

The new Headmistress Challenge has been posted!

And just as a reminder, December’s 12 Trees projects are able to be submitted until the end of January!

3 Likes

hourglasses
:zap: Headmistress Jennie casts the House Points Charm! :zap:

Final Xmas projects…

Class: Charms
Project; Hall, stairs & landing painting
So… I put off doing this because I was scared of painting on the ladder while I was doing the stairs… but I really wanted to get out done before Christmas (I had guests) so I womaned up and cracked on with it. Of course, the colour I chose just for me - but more importantly the process was for me too because it was only by getting it done that I could prove to myself I could do it!

Only the landing is pictured but I also did all the stairwell & downstairs hall - just brilliant white eggshell so less exciting than the landing but looks so much better for being fresher

Challenge: Detention reparo
Project: coat repair
So… I forgot to take a before pic, but this ankle lenght coat had come apart at the seam up to the waist (it has needed repairing for… a while…)

I stiched it back up on the train on my way to a NYE street party where I would need to wear it for warmth!

Challenge; Detention Stash
Project: Christmas plants
I grew these from seeds, repotted a couple of times along the way and finally into these proper terracotta pots with festive bows. The bows are ribbon taken from presents given me in previous years, and are mostly glued in place to hold them up on the pots! I think the photo shows about half of them (due to limited space under the tree but still getting light in the daytime)

Challenge; Heads challenge Jan, 12 trees Baubles
Project: gift box packaging
My style guide is very heavily based on the idea of trying your best and good intentions… but equally I know that things around me tend to be a bit punk rock n smudged eyeliner. So, all good intentions here with decorated boxes, tissue and shredded tissue for my pamper packs to nestle in. And then some smudged eyeliner on the form of a severely unhappy paper shredder (they do NOT like tissue)!

4 Likes

Class or Challenge Title: Headmistress Angel
Project Name & Page Link: Carmels
Brief Description: My dad and mom are my angels. They are Always there for me. For Christmas I made my dad a snack and treat basket, including homemade carmels.
Aunt Sarah’s Carmels
2 cups sugar
1 cup corn syrup
1/4 tsp. Salt
1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
1 cup evaporated milk
1 tsp. vanilla

1. Mix sugar, syrup, salt, cream and ev. milk in large pot. Cook stirring constantly until the mixture reaches 236 f. degrees. Once it reaches 236 turn the heat down. Cook until it reaches 242 f.
  2. Remove from heat and add the vanilla. Pour into a buttered 9 inch x 9 inch pan.

Note: This takes longer than you would expect to cook. From start to finish, plan on at least 40 mins to an hour.

Class or Challenge Title: Headmistress Candles
SPEW: Yes for https://www.heartsknittogether.org/
Project Name & Page Link: Baby Doll Dress
Brief Description: I crafted this doll dress to go with a baby doll donation to a group who puts together welcome kits for refugees and battered womens shelter kits.

Class or Challenge Title: Headmistress Icicles
Project Name & Page Link: Fantasy Fudge
Brief Description: The classic “Fantasy Fudge” needs to stay at a rolling boil for a few minutes to cook properly. It is an easy fudge based on marshmallows and chocolate chips. It is pictured above in the picture with the Carmels.

4 Likes

@skrutt how cute is Frida the Christmas llama???!! She reminds me of a story I heard on This American Life about a moose who lived in the woods near a city, but in the autumn when food was scarce he’d end up coming into town and eating so many windfall apples he’d end up drunk- and then he’d get his antlers wrapped up in town stuff - anything that might be hanging down like kids swings or Christmas lights - so the animal rescue guy would end up having to tranq him like a couple of times a year to unhook all the town stuff this drunk moose was dragging round in his antlers!

2 Likes

@ErinAquaheart Lynn, I’m so sorry for your loss. Erin will be missed she was an important part of our little corner of the internet.

I’ve also missed out on a lot of projects. Some yummy baked goods @MistressJennie and @skrutt I love the Christmas llama. So cute. @Noodle the blue on your wall is fab!

I’ve loads of projects to post, as I didn’t post many of my 12 days of Christmas items, but it’s almost midnight here, so at the risk of turning into a pumpkin, I’ll do most of them tomorrow. (I’ve also finished my be NEWT)

Head mistress challenge trees-tinsel
House Ravenclaw.

Project this year’s glitter house, this makes 12 years in a row that I’ve been making these.

Head mistress challenge trees-candles
House Ravenclaw

Project: this throw as a gift for my sister, it’s vintage velvet lined with embroidered linen and a fringe. It definitely warmed her heart.

Head mistress challenge trees-star
House Ravenclaw

Project- for my other sister I made this patchwork quilt as a Christmas gift.

6 Likes

~ COMPLETED ADVANCED STUDIES ~
House: Ravenclaw
Project Name: medieval russian outfit
Project Page Link: (if available)
Brief Description: this took me months. Constructing the tunics didn’t take too long. But all the straight braid had to be attached to a curved hemline, the collar was cut out of some Thai silk from stash. And all the beading on the head dress and collar is freshwater pearls, sewn on. But thanks to bloody Covid, the event that i was going to wear it at, was cancelled. So it’s as yet unworn
Project Picture:

First layer, red under tunic. This is long, down to my feet, but the sleeves are worn extra long and pushed back, so it makes it look short in this picture.

Over tunic, black linen with silk trim and freshwater pearls. And very silly sleeves.

Linen head wrap (hand hemmed)

Freshwater pearl trim, on headband, with temple rings.

There’s also a close fitting linen cap under the veil, to hide all my hair. Only a loose woman would show hair.

Finally done! On to my next, bonkers, advanced study proposal

11 Likes

Class or Challenge Title: Divination
Project Name & Page Link: Green Paisley Doll Dress
Brief Description: It definitely fits the green part of the prompt, and I suppose if you have an active imagination the paisley motif could look leaf-like, right?

Class or Challenge Title: Headmistress’ Challenge - Hagrid’s Christmas Tree: Angel
Project Name & Page Link: Snowman Sweater Set
Brief Description: This is kind of obscure, but given that my gift giving circle has shrunk considerably in the past year, I’ll go with a dress for a doll that was named “Angelique” by her company of manufacture.

8 Likes

Wow Edel, your costume is amazing. That is a lot of detail. I can only imagine how long the handwork took. Gorgeous!

Class or Challenge Title: House Pride
Project Name & Page Link: Clipboard
Brief Description: A clipboard I decorated in Hufflepuff style.

7 Likes

Hey friends, be sure to vote in the Great LC Holiday Bakeoff Challenge! Voting closes in 10 hours!