CLOSED: Harry Potter Craftalong - Yule 2021/22

hourglasses
:zap: Headmistress Jennie casts the House Points Charm! :zap:

@plaidpineapple I love the colours of that quilt - so fresh and cheerful. That will make a lovely addition to welcome someone to their new home

Class or Challenge Title: Potions
House: Slytherin
Project Name & Page Link: Olive Raglan Sweater
Brief Description: Throwing the pattern out the window for this one, I made this sweater up as I went along. Dangerously overconfident? Maybe, but it all worked out this time.
Project Picture:

6 Likes

That’s amazing!!!

Well, it would appear that I have missed almost the whole term :flushed: I would love to say it is down to something exciting, but it is just that work has been so crazy busy that I have not felt like being online much when not working, especially as my home PC is on the same desk as I work at every day! But I have been busy crafting away, so have a number of projects to share, starting with Hagrid’s 12 Trees Christmas Challenges

Class or Challenge Title: Angel
House: Hufflepuff
Project Name & Page Link: Chocolate Cherry Trifle
Brief Description: This was made for my hubby, as it is one of his favourite desserts. He doesn’t get it very often, as it makes quite a large quantity and it takes the two of us ages to eat it all!

The original recipe was one I saw on a TV show (I don’t remember which one) which was all about using store cupboard ingredients. The base is slices of ready made chocolate muffins (I used a shop bought chocolate swiss roll this time, as they didn’t have muffins) and a tin of cherries, drained of the juice and destoned if not already. The next layer is chocolate mousse, either a packet to be made up with water/milk or bought ready made. The top layer is whipped cream and you can top with chocolate flakes or sprinkles, although I didn’t do that this time.

If you want a “fancier” version, you can soak the cherries in alcohol for a while first. You can also make this with a tin of mandarin pieces, possibly soaked in cointreau or similar first.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Baubles
Project Name & Page Link: HP Trio
Brief Description: These hooplas were embroidered for a friend for a Christmas present, who is also a huge Harry Potter fan and loves Snape. I loved these so much that I really struggled to wrap them and give them away! (Unfortunately I don’t have individual photos, but I am using the “Always” hoopla for this challenge)
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Bells
Project Name & Page Link: Nutella Christmas tree
Brief Description: This Nutella filled pastry Christmas tree was made for breakfast on Christmas day. It both looks lovely and it certainly tasted amazing.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Candles
Project Name & Page Link: Veggie Bean Chilli
Brief Description: This Veggie Bean Chilli certainly gave me a lovely glow. This is a made up recipe! I cubed and roasted half a huge butternut squash in the oven until lovely and golden. Whilst that was roasting, I fried up one roughly chopped large onion, added a good dollop of minced garlic and then several tins - one each of baked beans, chickpeas, kidney beans and sweetcorn. I poured over a jar of ready made chilli sauce and left it to simmer for 20 minutes or so. As soon as the butternut was golden, I tipped the lot in and added in a couple of handfuls of chopped mushrooms. Left it to simmer for another 10-15 mins and served over rice. It was so good!
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Fake snow
SPEW or LC Contest: Made to sell at a charity bake sale, raising funds for a small local school for neurodivergent children that are struggling in mainstream schools
Project Name & Page Link: Mars Bar Slice
Brief Description: This recipe used melted mars bars and rice crispies as the bottom layer, a tin of ready made caramel in the middle and a melted bar of chocolate for the top. Easy to make, a pain to slice and so messy to eat! No real ingredient amounts - I melted 2 large mars bars, stirred in cereal until it wouldn’t take more. Used a small tin of caramel and a large chocolate bar for the top. Easy to scale up or down as needed, but I don’t recommend trying to cut straight from the fridge!
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Garland
Project Name & Page Link: Snow People
Brief Description: Made as a small gift, a snow couple painted onto slices of wood
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Icicles
SPEW or LC Contest: Made to sell at a charity bake sale, raising funds for a small local school for neurodivergent children that are struggling in mainstream schools
Project Name & Page Link: Lemon Drizzle Cake (Mary Berry’s recipe) I always add a little lemon icing on top, which is just lemon juice and icing sugar
Brief Description: Lemon drizzle cake needs to be baked at a specific temperature for a set period of time in order it tastes its best
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Lights
Project Name & Page Link: Advent #25
Brief Description: Made as day 25 for a crafty advent swap, I am really hoping this triptych twinchie lit up the recipient’s heart
Project Picture:

Open -

Closed -

Class or Challenge Title: Ribbon
Project Name & Page Link: Bookmark
Brief Description: The way this bookmark “attaches” to the book, it ties the pages of the book already read together in order to mark the spot
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Star
Project Name & Page Link: Watercolour sunset
Brief Description: I am still slightly hesitant to use a watercolour craft as reflecting one of my talents, but I am slowly starting to feel that the practice is paying off
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Tinsel
Project Name & Page Link: Sparkle ATCoins
Brief Description: These ATCoins were made for a swap where the theme was Glitter and Sparkle
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Tree Skirt
Project Name & Page Link: Advent 2022 (Days 1/2/3)
Brief Description: I am taking part in a crafty advent again throughout 2022 and have decided that this years will be wrapped in pillow boxes, which are functional (they hide and protect the contents until December) and are also decorative
Project Picture:

6 Likes

Class or Challenge Title: Alchemy
Project Name & Page Link: Socks for my bestie.
Brief Description: My bestie liked the first pair of socks he got, so he bought me some yarn so I could made more socks for him.
Project Picture:
sockr_medium2

Class or Challenge Title: Apparition
Project Name & Page Link: Svira-skirt
Brief Description: Participated in a pattern-test for the Svira skirt. Pretty pleased as its my first non-stretchy clothing item I make. So I definetly needed a pttern.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Divination
Project Name & Page Link: Creeper hat
Brief Description: Combined two patterns into one. Wanted to try to make a hat, for my bestie who likes minecraft. It is green in there, so I hope it does count. :sweat_smile:
Project Picture:
IMG_20220115_113818084_medium2

6 Likes

Love that hat! And congrats on the pattern test! Your skirt is awesome!!

1 Like

TheArtsyRaven Muggle Studies, June 6, 2018

This one is mine, and while I haven’t finished it yet I’m half way there, the problem is that I can’t afford to finish it just yet.

Ah - thank you! I will keep and update to your LC name!

Great skirt, @skrutt!

Class or Challenge Title: Advanced Studies Project
Project Name & Page Link: Fifteen Stars Quilt (pattern)
Brief Description: I’ve put in several hours just washing, ironing and - finally! - cutting fabric for this quilt. Cutting yardage is so nerve wracking. I only made one mistake with my math, but it’s salvageable.
Project Picture:

5 Likes

I love the fabric choices, it is going to look amazing

Class or Challenge Title: Detention - Advanced Studies
Project Name & Page Link: Memory teddy bears
Brief Description: I don’t have a before picture, as I hadn’t started, but everything is cut out and stitching has begun. These are being made from the grandmother’s fleeces, so the embroidery was already there, I just placed the pattern piece strategically
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Detention - Reparo
Project Name & Page Link: Kallax solution
Brief Description: I love the Ikea Kallax shelves, but for small items, they are quite deep. I recently discovered this company - LaserSmith. I had not heard of them before (and have no affiliation with them) so just ordered a couple of the smaller sets to see how they were. Well, I love them! Will definitely be ordering more
Project Picture:
They arrive flat packed

Making them up

I have had this sheet of wrapping paper for years, just waiting for “that” project

All the drawer fronts covered

And sitting in its new location

Class or Challenge Title: Detention - Stash
Project Name & Page Link: Mini pocket letter
Brief Description: This mini pocket letter was made for a swap with the theme “beginnings and ends” and my mind immediately went to a craft project. Crochet seemed to fit the bill perfectly and I had all of this in my stash.
Project Picture:

The finished flower was attached to a little peg, so can be removed if wanted.

Class or Challenge Title: Headmistress - January
Project Name & Page Link: New challenge
Brief Description: Watercolour painting is a relatively new craft for me in general, still very much a novice, and painting these images in such a tiny size was a new challenge for me. The theme for these was “January” so I picked some of the odd holiday days that appear this month
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: House Pride
Project Name & Page Link: Bumblebee embroidery
Brief Description: Perfect colour way for a Hufflepuff, black with gold sparkles for the background, then a fuzzy bumblebee
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: House Unity
Project Name & Page Link: HP trio of embroideries
Brief Description: Entering the Gryffindor hoopla for this class - the recipient is a fan of HP in general, a Gryffindor and loves Snape the best
Project Picture:

5 Likes

:sparkles: :owl: :scroll: Reminder fro the Headmistress: This Term of the HP Craftalong closes on January 31st, at Midnight Headmistress Time (Central Standard Time in the US). Be sure to have any last minute projects in before then. Our new Ostara Term will begin on Tuesday, February 1st!

hourglasses
:zap: Headmistress Jennie casts the House Points Charm! :zap:

1 Like

Class or Challenge Title: Alchemy
Project Name & Page Link: Melted chocolate
Brief Description: Set chocolate is difficult to work with, but once melted, it becomes malleable and can be used to coat other food stuffs to create tasty treats. These were made for a Brownie session and I am joining them together into one class to meet the time guidance.
The breadsticks are coated in melted chocolate and then dipped in bronze coloured crunchie pieces
The crispie cakes are melted chocolate mixed with a little golden syrup and butter, with rice crispies mixed in, spooned into cases and left to set
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Apparition
Project Name & Page Link: Tree decoration
Brief Description: Another Brownie craft - there were some very interesting variations on this one! And a lot of needle threading for this owl :wink: But as you start with a piece of wood with punched holes, you are definitely starting with the finished product in mind.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Arithmancy
Project Name & Page Link: Reach for the Stars ATCoins
Brief Description: I definitely had to research complex star charts to create these star themed ATCoins
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Astronomy
Project Name & Page Link: Galaxy watercolours
Brief Description: This is a new technique in watercolours for me, and I watched several tutorials before giving it a go. The blue/green one was the first, which is ok, but I prefer the purple/blue that I did second
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: COMC
SPEW or LC Contest: Charity bake sale to raise funds for a local, small school for neurodivergent children who are struggling in main stream schools
Project Name & Page Link: Carrot cake tray bake
Brief Description: Baking is definitely a soothing pastime for me, and I find the results often make others happy. I followed this recipe - Simple carrot cake tray bake recipe - A Mummy Too - but went with halves on top, rather than chopped
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Charms
Project Name & Page Link: Brioche
Brief Description: I adore Brioche, but every time I have baked it, something was not quite right, so not only is the outcome for me to enjoy, I am also (still) searching for the perfect recipe. This one was made with this recipe - https://www.africanbites.com/homemade-brioche-bread/ - but I will have to try it again to know for sure, as the yeast didn’t rise properly :frowning:
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: DADA
Project Name & Page Link: Altered Christmas Tin
Brief Description: I created a scaled down version of a Christmas fireplace, with decorated tree and gifts
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Divination
Project Name & Page Link: Poppy ATCoins
Brief Description: These poppy themed ATCoins contain a variety of different coloured poppies and their leaves
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Herbology
Project Name & Page Link: Embroidered Christmas decoration
Brief Description: This embroidered Christmas decoration contains both red and white
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: HOM
Project Name & Page Link: Altered matchbox
Brief Description: This looks like a miniature drawer on legs, but is actually a matchbox, containing some mini books
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Muggle studies
Project Name & Page Link: Birthday card
Brief Description: This birthday card mixes watercolour painting for the floral element and calligraphy for the message
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Potions
Project Name & Page Link: Pretty in pink twinchies
Brief Description: I have come to the conclusion that buttons are my lucky charms - I know I own a lot of them, but somehow more seem to appear on a regular basis. These twinches started with with geometric patterned button, and grew from there
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: SOAR
Project Name & Page Link: Stamp ATCoins
Brief Description: These ATCoins are part of the Advent series for 2022 and make use of recycled stamps and old gift tags. (I don’t believe anyone I swap with on Facebook is on here, but just in case, I am hiding the image.)
Project Picture:

Summary

**Class or Challenge Title:**Transfiguration
Project Name & Page Link: Bauble ATCoins
Brief Description: These ATCoins are part of the Advent series for 2022. The 3d decoupage baubles took way longer than I expected, fussy cutting the various layers, layering them and adding glitter highlights. I kept the final coins quite simple, so the bauble would be the main feature. (I don’t believe anyone I swap with on Facebook is on here, but just in case, I am hiding the image.)
Project Picture:

Summary

3 Likes

@seeuudee your shelves look great, I love it when the perfect project for that stashed material arrives!

Two end of term hand ins…

Challenge: Detention Advanced Studies
Project: increases
So, the pattern I’m ‘using’ calls for increases on one side and decreases on the other, to create boarders whilst maintaining and even width scarf. I decided to go a different way, I’m aimng for more of a slanket so I’m just increasing for now, then I’ll maintain for a bit, then decrease to give me a wider but probably shorter semi-circle type shape. I LOVE it

Early december:

Now:

Progress is slow, and there are a squilluon mistakes because I’ve never done brioche knitting before, but I just love it!

Class: HoM
Project: origami lampshade
It looks like a sheer of paper…

But it’s actually a lampshade!

Made following a kit… but the instructions were in French which rather added a level of difficulty to proceedings as my French is pretty basic!

6 Likes

@Noodle, OMG, COLOR! Love the brightness of your Advanced Studies yarn. It’s so utterly joyful.

1 Like

I agree, it’s like candy!

Eye candy! :heart_eyes: So pretty!

Class or Challenge Title: Headmistress - January
SPEW or LC Contest: Quilts for Kids!
House: Gryffindor!
Project Name & Page Link: 9-Patch Star (Bubblegum) Baby Quilt
Brief Description: This was a new quilt block for me. a 9-Patch Star. I’ve done 9-patches before, and I’ve done things like a Sawtooth Star, and this is sort of a mix of both of them. But I was happy to combine them in a new-to-me block.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: House Unity
SPEW or LC Contest: Quilts for Kids!
Project Name & Page Link: Framed 9-Patch & Star (Bubblegum) Baby Quilt
Brief Description: I kind of went crazy cutting the star blocks, and found I had made 14. It wasn’t a good number for one quilt, so I used 9 to make my first quilt top, then had 5 leftover. Helga Hufflepuff would definitely want me to take those extra 5 blocks and make something just as lovely with them. So I looked at the scraps I had left and put them together to make some 9-Patches, that I then framed with a coordinating turquoise.
Project Picture:

These will both be going to Quilts for Kids. :slightly_smiling_face: And remember, if you craft for a legitimate charity, you can ear 10 bonus points per project here in the HPC!!!

4 Likes

Class or Challenge Title: Book Club Ch 14
Project Name & Page Link: Charcuterie Board
Brief Description: This was a fun dinner I put together for Date Night a couple weeks ago. A whole grain baguette, proscuttio, a few kids of salami, pepperoni, Irish cheddar, Vermont cheddar, fig jam, cashews, dried apricots, raspberries, grapes, and bell pepper strips. It was lovely to share with my husband and a glass of faux-wine, while we watched Godzilla, since neither of us had actually seen any of the movies, yet we keep calling our future kiddo that.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Detention - Reparo
Project Name & Page Link: My dog is a short haired girl, who wasn’t really meant for the cold, but as we hadn’t raised her from a puppy, I had no idea if she would actually wear a coat. So I picked one up on clearance after Christmas a few years ago, figuring if she refused to wear it, I wouldn’t be out much money. And really, it doesn’t get very cold in TN, so she only wears it a few weeks a year. But in the ensuing years since I got it, the velcro fell apart. It just disintegrated into strands of thread, even though the fleece coat itself is in great shape. So I got out my seam ripper and took off all the nasty 1" velcro that never held very well anyways, and replaced it with a beefier 2" wide velcro. Now it stays nice and snug on her while we go on winter walks.
Brief Description:
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Flying
Project Name & Page Link: Cleaning My Scrap Fabric
Brief Description: As I cleaned out the guest room to turn it into a nursery, some stuff that had migrated found it’s way back to my studio. Guys, it was bad. I was tripping over boxes just trying to get in and out of the room. So this week I’ve been cleaning, organizing, and purging. Yesterday I tackled the fabric. I purged some, and reorganized some. Taking large flat-fold pieces from 3 cubbies down to 2; emptied the small yardage & scrap bins, and got those from 3 down to 1. Now one of the newly empty bins has a few sets in it, for future projects, and the other is full of precuts like Fat Quarters and Jelly Rolls. And the empty flat-fold cubby is now home to ‘ongoing quilt projects’, like BOM’s in the Quiltalong. And now I have just a small pile to cut into 5" squares, 2.5" strips, and 2.5" squares.
Project Picture:
Whole neatly cleaned and folded fabric cubby.

Small Flat Fold Scrap Bin

Bin of fabrics that go together for upcoming projects.

Bin of precuts including 1-yard, Fat Quarter, Jelly Roll Strips and Charm Packs

Cubby of ongoing projects like Rainbow BOM’s, and Honeybee Table Runner.

4 Likes

Guess what… yes… I’m here… :wink:

Didn’t manage a lot of crafting really… only worked 1 day in November and the rest was first a week in hospital with another week at home to recover, and then we had covid (my girls and I… hubby stayed clear of it). So, crafting took a bit of a back seat.

BUT! I have some FOs:

Class or Challenge Title: APPARITION
Project Name & Page Link: “Game Night”
Brief Description:
Since September we’re back meeting in person with our craft group. And despite being totally unorganised when it comes to materials and plans… I actually managed to make a Scrapbook layout during the January Crop.

This time I did it for our monthly layout challenge, where we are given a sketch and have to use it to make a layout.
Project Picture:

- January challenge sketch

**Class or Challenge Title:**Care of Magical Creatures
Project Name & Page Link: A hat for Gryffie
Brief Description: No snow here just yet (nowadays seem to be happening any time until middle of April!), but the winds are howling in Scotland just now. Best to keep my young witches’ heads warm!
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Hagrid’s 12 Trees Christmas Challenge - Candles
Project Name & Page Link: A hat for Huffie
Brief Description: I made a hat to keep Huffie’s ears warm during winter.
Project Picture:

4 Likes