Harry Potter Craftalong - Yule 2022/23

Class or Challenge Title: Detention - Stash
House: Hufflepuff
Project Name & Page Link: Tiny Kangaroo
Brief Description: I used some Tilda-yarn from my stash to make this tiny kangaroo.
Project Picture:
IMG_20221211_172801704

Class or Challenge Title: Detention - WIP
Project Name & Page Link: Lovikka mittens
Brief Description: I started this pair of mittens in september, but it took a while to finish them. Mostly because I did easier projects in between. But my brother got a pair of warm, woolen mittens.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Hermiones book club
Project Name & Page Link: Colorful mittens
Brief Description: Mum hade mittens like these a couple of years ago, and I have dreamt about making a pair for myself ever since. They are so lovely! And now I have my own.
Project Picture:

6 Likes

Class or Challenge Title: Headmistress Challenge - December
Project Name & Page Link: 12 days of crochet - wombat
Brief Description: I participated in a CAL in the start of december. Make 12 tiny animals, which all came from Australia. This was superfun, and I made them all. And since they are 12 different animals, Im using 7 of them for this challenge.
Project Picture:

Project Name & Page Link: 12 days of crochet - Blue-ringed octopus with no rings
Brief Description: I participated in a CAL in the start of december. Make 12 tiny animals, which all came from Australia. This was superfun, and I made them all. And since they are 12 different animals, Im using 7 of them for this challenge.
Project Picture:

Project Name & Page Link: 12 days of crochet - Snake
Project Picture:

Project Name & Page Link: 12 days of crochet - Frog
Project Picture:

Project Name & Page Link: 12 days of crochet - Cockatoo
Project Picture:

Project Name & Page Link: 12 days of crochet - Ring-tailed possum
Project Picture:

Project Name & Page Link: 12 days of crochet - Mini Great White Shark
Project Picture:

And a bonus pic on all the animals;

7 Likes

That little cockatoo is the cutest! And I bet they dont make a terrible noise at 6am!

2 Likes

Oh my gosh! What a cute collection!

1 Like

They’re so cute and bitty! I love them!

1 Like

Class or Challenge Title: Astronomy
House: Slytherin
Project Name & Page Link: Blue Sunstone Rosary
Brief Description: The blue sunstones in this rosary reflect so much light that they sparkle like the Milky Way!
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Flying
Project Name & Page Link: Rosary in Cool Colors
Brief Description: Every rosary gives me a ton of practice cutting wire and making loops - there are 59 beads in a five decade rosary.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Herbology
Project Name & Page Link: Starry Skyscape on Birch Wood
Brief Description: This painting of a starry nighttime scene uses a rustic slice of birch wood as a canvas.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Detention - Reparo Challenge
Project Name & Page Link: Jade and Pink Opal Rosary
Brief Description: My DS2 decided to rip apart his jade rosary and feed it to his dragon (robot). I rescued what remained from the belly of the beast, replaced some beads and components, and gave it new life.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Headmistress Prompt - January
Project Name & Page Link: Pink Opal Rosary Pair
Brief Description: I had an extra Saint Michael rosary medal in my stash, and was thrilled to find a matching red enameled crucifix and these gorgeous opal beads (it’s my birthstone).
Project Picture:

6 Likes

Those rosarys are really well done. What were for you use? I tried making a pearl one for my mother in the past, but the wire was too soft and she kept breaking it. I used to tell her she was paying too hard. But I could never come up with a satisfactory solution

1 Like

Class/Challenge: Headmistress November Challenge
SPEW: CC Animal Shelter
House: Ravenclaw
Project Name: Catnip Squares
Brief Description: For this challenge, I made some fleece squares stuffed with catnip for the cats at my local shelter. They were made using the corner pieces left over from making fleece tied blankets.
Project Picture:

5 Likes

Thank you!

I used stainless steel eye pins and brass eye pins. Both were purchased in bulk from bead stores. The brass is on the softer side (my DS2 was able to pull it out of shape when he was 5, but the rosary that gets bounced around in my purse has survived the abuse), but the stainless steel seems sturdy enough. It’s a balancing act between wire soft enough to not damage the beads as you bend the wire into shape, yet sturdy enough to not get pulled out of shape in the hand.

That’s a good idea using eye pins.

1 Like

It saves so much work, and time! No measuring, and I can batch each step. Just, bead on and fold (x59)…trim (x59)…loop (x59)…attach.

I picked up a very neat little pliers in Joanne’s(?) When I was in the US 5 years ago. Bead on, wire into pliers, squeeze and it trims and makes a loop in one motion. I don’t know what they are called, but well worth getting.

2 Likes

I had no idea something like that existed - how cool!

Class or Challenge Title: Hermione’s Book Club - Ch. 2 The Scar
Project Name & Page Link: Graduated Lepidolite Beaded Necklace
Brief Description: Lepidolite is supposed to help relieve anxiety (it has a bit of lithium in its matrix), and I have dreamed of having a dressy necklace in this stone to make social gatherings less stressful.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Hermione’s Book Club - Ch. 4 Back to the Burrow
Project Name & Page Link: Be My Valentine? Necklace
Brief Description: How could anyone resist the sweet shades of pinks and purples in this necklace?
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: House Unity Challenge
Project Name & Page Link: Rowena’s Stargazer Necklace
Brief Description: This necklace in Ravenclaw colors would have made a charming addition to Rowena’s jewelry box.
Project Picture:

4 Likes

Class or Challenge Title: Alchemy
Project Name & Page Link: Scrap Ripple Blanket
Brief Description: This was a test blanket to learn how to make the ripple crochet pattern before committing to a bigger one.
Project Picture:

7 Likes

Class or Challenge Title: Alchemy
House: Gryffindor!
Project Name & Page Link: Hazelnut Doily
Brief Description: I translated this pattern, and most of a skein of hazelnut silk yarn into this autumn doily. I have some yarn left, and might try making a smaller matching one.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Book Club Ch 4
Project Name & Page Link: Cheerful Dishcloths
Brief Description: No one can resist cheerful dishcloths for their kitchen.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Headmistress Dec #1
Project Name & Page Link: Sauerkraut
Brief Description: I’ve wanted to try my hand at fermentation for a while now. So this past weekend I took a class through the local food co-op. They provided the materials and know-how, and we all crafted along in our own kitchens, while the class was taught online. My sauerkraut includes green cabbage, apple, carrot, and beet.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Headmistress January
Project Name & Page Link: Knooked Hat
Brief Description: I taught myself a new medium! Knooking! Knitting with a crochet hook. It’s not Tunisian crochet, and it’s not any number of crochet techniques that mimic knitting. It’s a knitted stitch, made with a crochet hook, along with a long cord to hold your stitches.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: House Pride
Project Name & Page Link: Beet Kvass & Pickled Veggies
Brief Description: A bold Gryffindor red color, and hopefully some bold flavors on these recipes. The kvass contains beet, cara cara oranges, and thyme and should be ready to drink later this week. The pickled veggies include beets, carrots, garlic, peppercorns, & pepper flakes, and will need a little a longer to develop.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: House Unity
Project Name & Page Link: Preserved Lemons
Brief Description: A bright and cheerful Hufflepuff yellow! These preserved lemons should brighten the flavor of many a meal in the months ahead, once they’ve finished softening.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: SoAR
Project Name & Page Link: Naughty Dishcloth
Brief Description: This project has a hidden message! (One that’s almost easier to read with the blur in place.) I made it for my SIL for Christmas.
Project Picture:

5 Likes

~ ADVANCED STUDIES PROPOSAL ~
Project Name: Camp Dress Pattern
Brief Description: I’ve been admiring these tablecloth camp dresses from Psychic Outlaw for years, but the patterns I like are either never in my size or sell out immediately. I also have some prints that I’d like to make camp shirts out of. So the plan is:

1. Make a muslin of McCall’s 8067
  2. Make View C of the pattern with one of my real fabrics
  3. Draft or graft an existing skirt pattern onto the bottom
  4. Source fabrics and make camp dress!

Hopefully I’ll be able to get all the steps by the end of summer - I’m slow at garment sewing because I’m on the go so much, but this is my stake in the ground that it’s something I want to do and is worth making time for!

5 Likes

Wow, what a fun project!! I’ve added it to the log!

Reminder from the Headmistress…

This round of the Harry Potter Craftalong will close on Tuesday, January 31!

2 Likes

Cutting it rather fine with my homework this term!! :crazy_face:

Going to break them down into chunks, just so adding the photos doesn’t crash my little 'puter. (Poor thing is definitely going to need some TLC this year!)

Class or Challenge Title: Detention – Stash
Project Name & Page Link: Woven hanging
Brief Description: All from stash, including the piece of wood picked up on a dog walk some time ago, just because I liked it
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Hermione’s book club – Chapter 2
Project Name & Page Link: Book of books
Brief Description: This book of books was mailed to someone very special in the 12 days of Christmas swap
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Hermione’s book club – Chapter 3
Project Name & Page Link: Mini Christmas cards
Brief Description: These were crafted for my very special Girlguiding friends and fellow leaders
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Headmistress Prompt (November)
Project Name & Page Link: Gonks
Brief Description: Something cuddly, with amazing beards – definitely channelling Robbie Coltrane
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Headmistress Prompt (January)
Project Name & Page Link: Mushroom
Brief Description: Continuing practice of my new craft - after watching a few videos of people making needle-felted mushrooms, I decided to have a go as a 3d practice piece. (And learnt that I need to wire stems!)
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Hermione’s book club – Chapter 4
Project Name & Page Link: Chocolate log
Brief Description: Everyone found it hard to resist the chocolatey-Christmas yummyness
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: House Unity
Project Name & Page Link: Reusable Christmas gift bags
Brief Description: A very simple gift bag with ribbon tie inspired by both Gryffindor and Slytherin colours
Project Picture:

5 Likes