Help Me Eat Less Meat

Right on!

2 Likes

Here are some of my go to recipes that I’ve liberally fed to non-vegans. They should all be kid friendly (omit the cheyenne from breadcrumbs if needed) and hopefully not contain too many hard to find ingredients. I serve the biscuits and chickpea gravy together and have taken it to many potluck brunches and it’s always one of the first things to go.

4 Likes

I love these!! Thank you for sharing!!

3 Likes

I make a dish very similar to that Mac & Cheeze recipe and it’s tasty! We make it spicy by adding a bit of chili powder and use 50/50 macaroni and cauliflower.

2 Likes

My colleague shared this with me, it’s very interesting and provides another positive towards whole food plant based diets.

I’m not there yet, just trying to add more non meat days into my diet

4 Likes

This sounds A.Maz.Ing!!! Deffo gonna try this one :smile:

3 Likes

For sure. I will be trying that one too!

2 Likes

Try to find deep fried tofu instead of regular. I’ve found it’ll go over better with veggie newbies than firm or silken tofu where the texture can feel a bit weird if you’re not used to it.

Also, beluga lentils work quite nicely as a ground beef substitute in bolognese or ragu. The texture is very nice since they hold their shape and don’t turn to mush like other lentils. It does need a splash of cream (oat or dairy or what have you) or the flavour gets a bit flat.

If you like indian food why not make (or order) a daahl? I find the veggie options are often better than the meat ones for indian food.

4 Likes

this thread is making my mouth water. just saying.

i was a little distracted by the recipes, are you keeping eggs and dairy, but just reducing, or looking to get rid of those altogether?

with warm weather (hopefully) almost here, i like to make potato and pasta salads…my normal go to is generally a dressing with a mayo and sour cream base, but if i’m feeling i’ve been eating too much rich food lately, i’ll do a vinaigrette base instead with oil, vinegar (i usually use a combo of apple cider and a bit of white for more of an acidic kick), splash of lemon juice, salt and pepper, maybe some herbs to complement whatever and then maybe some sort of sweetener to balance it. sometimes i’ll also just whisk some of this up for green salads or grain bowls too.

one of my favourite creamy dip/dressings is my lemony sunflower…can’t remember where i originally found it, and i know i’ve tweaked it over the years, but it goes something like this:

take a bunch of shelled sunflower seeds and soak them for a few hours in cold water til they soften. drain and rinse, put them in the bowl of a food processor (or you can just use a stick blender if thats what you have), add in some lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, salt, pepper, sweetener of choice, parsley if you feel like it, and blend with oil til you get the desired consistency (thicker for a dip, thinner for a dressing). if you dont want to use a heap of oil, you can cut it with water if you are happy with your flavour profile.

4 Likes

Oh that sounds delightful. I like using sunflower & pumpkin seeds because they taste good but also grow locally. There are great recipes online for mock tuna made from seeds & seaweed, it can actually taste quite similar.

Pressed tofu is really good. It’s thinly flat, dense & chewy. It makes great noodles cut into skinny strips for a protein rich pasta style dish. It can be cut confetti style to add heartiness to veg stir fries and grain dishes as well. I do buy organic & limit consumption of soy because it has negative health impacts, especially for males, but it can be a nice variation now & then.
One of our dairy sensitive kids likes tofu puddings, they come in fruit, almond & taro flavours, interesting tastes.

One way we maximize meat consumption is buying bone in cuts, then broth can be made from the bones & scraps. Good use for veggie scraps too.

3 Likes

@Annchen - that’s very interesting about the deep fried tofu. I never knew you could buy it this way? I am a big tofu fan but have already gotten the missive from Mr. Road to make it crispy, lol. I order it out frequently but have never cooked it before. It will be an adventure this week! Veggie take out options are my go-to. If only there wasn’t so much plastic involved in take out!

@mel - I am just reducing meat for now. I feel like small, easy to make steps will be more sustainable and hopefully grow into bigger changes. I love pasta salad! Will be making that this summer for sure.

3 Likes

Yes! I will definitely be using the soy based replacements (tofu included) as part of the rotation but not everyday (or even every week) ingredients.

2 Likes

Tofu tip - I put mine in the freezer (in its water pack) when I get home. Then when I want to use it I move it to the fridge to thaw for at least a day. I find it gives a firmer texture and is much easier to press (I just use my hands to do a quick press, no need for a special press or to put a bunch of weight on it).

3 Likes

Yes!!! This is the inside info I need!!

3 Likes

Something else I don’t think I’ve seen mentioned yet is become friendly with herbs and spices. A lot of times what is missing when we think of meat vs non-meat is flavor. Learning how to use herbs and spices (or going my route and mostly following recipes) can make a huge difference.

4 Likes

Yes! I was just popping on to say the same thing!

2 Likes

Oh gosh, yes! Cold rolls made with rice wraps and stuffed with glass noodle, sprouts, veg, & fresh basil/mint are flavour explosions! They can be customized with ingredients & dips too. Our kids love foods they can help build & will often eat something they usually turn up a nose over.

4 Likes

Mr. Road and I are pretty adventurous eaters when it comes to spice and flavor. It’s just that Mr. Road prefers those things on meat. :laughing: My kids are a whole other story! Not going there, lol!

1 Like

I went to the shop to get the ingredients and made this:

It’s not perfectly sticking together but better than the first one where I’d forgotten to add water!

The garlic sauce is delish. Haven’t tried the hoisin sauce yet, but I still have a load of mix left in the fridge to try some more.

5 Likes

Awesome!!!

1 Like