Hogwarts Sew Together Bag

This bag is made using the Sew Together Bag pattern, it is the second one I’ve made (first one was years and years ago!)

I started cutting the pieces in our crafty zoom yesterday morning and it took me all day to make the bag - on and off.

I’ve had this project on my to do list for a while now since I saw the fabric at Spotlight. I knew the four lining pieces in the centre would be perfect for the 4 houses, with the outer fabric tying it all together. The large black metal zip was a gift from @Renstar :star_struck: and the three white zippers were a gift from @AIMR :heart_eyes: thank you both so much for your destash x

Because the outer fabric is directional I needed to piece two pieces together before quilting. To quilt I just followed the line of the Hogwarts crest and eyeballed it, I love how it turned out :slight_smile:

The pattern doesn’t have the best reviews for ease, etc. (There are sew alongs you can follow). I didn’t find it too bad though, apart from the final step which is the fabric tabs on the end of the zipper - which should be relatively straight forward :sweat_smile: but after a long day of sewing and slow burn thrillers on streaming services I didn’t quite get it - so I just modified it to suit me.

I decided to attach the binding by hand everywhere apart from the bits where the zipper extends past the bag, and I’m happy I did - I always find it cleaner. I did however go out this morning and finally buy myself a leather thimble because I always hurt my poor finger tip when I use fine needles.

Thanks for looking!

29 Likes

Wow! It looks so professionally made!

1 Like

Thank you! It holds so much! I’m tossing up whether to store happy mail or art journalling supplies in here :wink:

1 Like

Beautifully done!

1 Like

That is fab! Wow!

1 Like

Everything about this is amazing, I love the use of the four houses fabrics!

1 Like

I just love the idea of this themed zippered bag! So much room as well!

You put the fabrics together nicely and also, so much detail, including the hand stitching of the binding!

1 Like

Oh cool, that’s a great use of the zip. It looks pretty awesome

1 Like

Thank you again, it was so perfect! x

Merlin’s beard! I love this so much. The lining fabrics blow it out of the water. Fantastic!

1 Like

Merlin’s beard? More like Merlin’s baggy Y-fronts! This is absolutely stunning my friend! In the best possible sense, looks like you picked it up at a store. Your stitching is perfect, and your design choices sublime. Well done!

3 Likes

Oh, just hearing “sew together bag” brings back memories of when that pattern was all the rage. You did a wonderful job! Look at the detail: all the houses represent!

Well done, you.

1 Like

Amazing work! I’m so impressed (I don’t sew, so these things just boggle my mind) :trophy:

1 Like

Terrific fabric choices, this turned out great!
How did you feel about the pattern? Lots of steps but it looks simple to me from a drafting perspective. I’m thinking about winging it so I can get the size I’d like.

1 Like

Absolutely beautiful, and yes, the fabric choices were ridiculously perfect for this design!! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

OMG that is GORGEOUS!! I love all the fabrics you chose! Just WOW!

1 Like

Whoa! That bag is amazing! I can only imagine the time spent piercing and sewing and ironing and piecing and sewing and ironing… :dizzy_face:. LOL.

1 Like

Wow!!! thats an amazing job! Im a fan of Harry Potter world myself and Im crazy about things like this. I have an idea to sew harry potter staff and what to buy an embroidery machine to create my own design. Ive just chosenn this one 7 Best Embroidery Machines for Hats — Reviewed and Rated (Dec. 2021) and waiting for the delivery. Id be happy to find more inpirayion here. :blush: