Home decor and renovation craftalong

It really is! :relaxed:

The exposed wood will be painted in a really dark, neutral brown. I’m really happy with the wall color… it’s a very grey beige, but it brings out the warm brown in the mostly grey floor. I really wanted to avoid the cool grey tones that seem so popular these days. My stepmother’s house was a sterile white, floor to ceiling, and a home that looks too colorless makes me uncomfortable now. But, this should be a neutral enough palette to spice up with color in the furniture and decor.

4 Likes

The wall does match the floor very well. I’m not usually a fan of neutrals, but this is a “warm” neutral, not a “cold” neutral, and compared to earlier pictures the basement looks ten times as good and ten times as big as it did before!

3 Likes

It’s such a huge change. They got the floor finished today. Next week is trim and cabinets and measuring for the bar top, and more painting, I think.

12 Likes

It looks amazing!!

2 Likes

It does look amazing. It’s going to be such a fantastic space.

2 Likes

The painters finished their job today! They removed wallpaper in 3 upstairs bedrooms, repaired the walls, and painted the walls and ceilings. Here are before and after pictures of each room.

Jim’s office:
Before

After

Ada’s new room, which is purposefully nearly identical to her last room, since everything we decorated with matched that color scheme.
Before:

After:

Guest room:
Before

After

11 Likes

Loving the transformation! That guest room color is chef’s kiss.

3 Likes

Nice transformations! Perfect for spring changes! I am excited for everyone to have these new spaces!

3 Likes

@tendstowardschaos WOWWWWWW! That is really, like, a “real” room now! I can’t wait to see it with the mouldings in and the cabinets installed! What’s the bar’s signature cocktail going to be?

@MistressJennie Awwww, it’s really starting to look like your home. Those rooms are looking great from floor to ceiling now! I am curious about the circular vent-like fixtures I see in a couple of the ceilings - I’m not familiar with those. I know I’ve seen something like them, but the thing that is similar that I can place was in a wall in a kitchen of a 1940s house and was a ventilation fan. Might’ve been bigger.

2 Likes

A White Russian, naturally. (My husband is an ordained Dudeist priest, lol.)

2 Likes

They are probably vents for installation of the heating/air conditioning. You might notice that there are no vents along the baseboards.

1 Like

Ah ha! That explains that super cool rug that’s really going to tie the room together!

2 Likes

Of course! Not sure why I would assume that because they’re round that they would be something “special”! HA!

2 Likes

:joy: That’s exactly what he said when he unrolled the rug!

1 Like

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: As he should!

1 Like

Yes, that guest room, my former teenage goth self would have loved that room with those dark panelled wooden doors :heart_eyes:

We have been talking a lot about decoration recently. Now we’ve picked the bathroom, kitchen and floor for most of the house, we really need to start thinking about paint / colours / furniture and also the floor for upstairs. We got rid of all furniture that we thought was really ugly, or anything that was too old to survive being moved to storage and back. Which was a lot. We probably won’t buy all the furniture rightaway - first we need to pay for all the work, then we have to see how much money we’ll have left and what our new bills will be like (taxes and energy consumption will likely be very different from what they were) and then we’ll probably want to replenish our savings a bit. But there’s no reason to hurry, we’ll have a table, chairs, we’ve kept our bed. We’ll still have all the basics, and a fancy new kitchen and bathroom. I’d much rather have a house half-empty for a few months than buy furniture in a hurry that isn’t really what we want. We both don’t enjoy moving furniture around or changing our interior, so we’re probably keeping this forever :laughing:

We have just ordered a sample of this wallpaper for the bedroom: https://www.etsy.com/nl/listing/1299088516/retro-behang-jaren-70-behang-kleurrijk?ref=yr_purchases Mr Imma wants a relatively minimal bedroom without a lot of frills and no “typically girly” colours, and I wanted colour most of all. This would be a good compromise, and it reminds us a bit of the style of a band we both love, Church of the Cosmic Skull.

If we like the quality of this wallpaper, we’re probably going to use it for one bedroom wall, and paint the other walls in the cream colour in this wallpaper, use one of the blue colours for the curtains, and a lighter tint of the yellow for the panelled doors. We’ll likely also use that cream and tint of yellow for the landing and all the doors upstairs too. For the floor and bed we’ll probably go with a wood colour. It’s sometimes a bit hard for us to work together on designing rooms, because Mr. Imma can’t really picture a room in his head when I try to explain this, he needs to see samples.

I would love engineered wood for the upstairs because a wooden floor feels very, very fancy, but Mr. Imma is still a bit meh about it (or better put, likes the look but doesn’t like it more than a wood-effect vinyl floor). We’ve picked tile for most of the downstairs. We live in an old house so tile seemed a fitting choice, although the tiles we’ve picked aren’t exactly a complete match for the building period of our house (1940s). We’re going for a generally vintage vibe but don’t want to be tied to one period. I love visiting living history museums, I can see myself volunteering with one some day, but I don’t want to live in a museum.

6 Likes

I could picture the bedroom as you described it! It would be modern and comfortable. The wallpaper is a stunning focal point. I can see a lot of possibilities with changes in your bed linens and curtains for many, many years to keep it fresh.

The best part of remodeling is making the home your own when it is done!

3 Likes

Of course, but we are crafters! Now we’re working on this big project, I really notice I think about colour and pattern in a different way than he does. He can’t really picture things until he sees them, and it was new to him that there’s a whole theory behind colour and pattern use and we don’t just pick fabrics randomly and our quilts turn out nice, lol.

One thing he wasn’t really aware of is how important it is to not just pick wallpaper, floor, furniture, curtains and paint seperately but use a limited amount of colours and let them come back in different places in the room / house so it all feels put together. I may or may not have used the rug that really ties the room together as an example :laughing: (also his favourite). I don’t think he ever noticed that women do the same thing when they’re dressing up, that they match the shoes and the earrings to the outfit.

One of the few things from the bedroom that we kept is the set of vintage speaker boxes we’ve used as nightstands for years. We’ll find a way to put them back in, they’re black so they’ll match most things. Those are the small silly things that make a house a home.

5 Likes

We still use Jim’s huge speaker cabinets in our den as display tables! They are black … we have had them probably over 40 years as well. All the times we have moved, there are certain things and pictures that, until they are out, does not feel like home. It is a comfort to see the things that we have had since our first home. They might be a bit silly to others, but to us, they mean a lot!

4 Likes

That wallpaper is so cool!

1 Like