Home decor and renovation craftalong

He can’t even like a beanie pattern I show him if it’s purple (his least fave colour) because it’s purple! Like thats the only colour I could make it in. I find it frustrating, but I know there is a spectrum for these things.

1 Like

I think it’s partially experience as well. I know he “sees” fewer colours as well, as in, he’s not really aware of how many different shades there are of a particular colour. He can see the difference when it’s put right in front of him, so there’s nothing wrong with his eyes, but only a limited amount of colours exist in his head.

But it’s the same for me with music. I took lessons my whole childhood, so it’s not like I’m totally not musical at all, but when he’s recording music he can hear so many differences between the different amps, effect pedals, different types of snares, different types of recording equipment … and to me it all sounds more or less the same.

3 Likes

Same! I have that thing, it’s got a name, where a song sounds like a whole to me. I can differentiate the vocals but separate instruments don’t stand out. Then again, I have a lot of misphonia so how I hear is non-typical I guess. Most of my family are musicians but not me.

1 Like

There’s a term for the inability to create a picture in your mind of something you haven’t seen for yourself - and I’m not saying that’s what’s going on with these men, because the condition is considered quite rare - but thought it was interesting when I learned about it! These people don’t make a picture in their head of a book character based on the author’s description, for instance.

As someone who used to do fancy finishes on people’s walls, ceilings, cabinets, etc. I can tell you that a lot of people say that they can’t imagine what a small thing will look like as a big thing (a 24" square sample onto their walls, for instance) or a particular sofa upholstery with their wall color, etc.

4 Likes

I wonder what the opposite of that is? When I read even a few lines of some descriptive text, I see an instant picture of everything. It can be maddening since it might not even be correct.

1 Like

Aphantasia and hyperphantasia.

5 Likes

Thanks!

1 Like

Remember that kitchen salesperson who was giving us a hard time about the way our fridge door should be swinging? But eventually agreed to do it the way we requested?

Well, we received the technical drawings, and the door wasn’t drawn the way we wanted it to, so we sent him a quick e-mail saying something along the lines of “hey, we noticed the fridge door doesn’t open the way we want it to, can you please correct it? thanks”. We thought it was an honest mistake.

But we got an e-mail back, saying “because of blah blah reasons the door should open this way, so we haven’t corrected this”.

Now, what I want to do, is go there and punch him, but what I’m going to do is write a polite e-mail back that we discussed this previously and that we still want the fridge door to open this way, and we are aware of the blah blah reasons but we still want it like this.

Because we have an old house with strange sized rooms, we need custom kitchen cupboards, and this company has their own in-house factory where they make everything to measure, great quality and still fairly affordable (more expensive than Ikea of course, but not more expensive than the big chains that don’t do custom sizing). The company has a great reputation and we’re running out of time, but if it wasn’t for that I would be tempted to cancel the order and buy the kitchen elsewhere.

This annoying guy is really getting under my skin and I think it’s because he reminds me of my dad, who was a master in always starting pointless discussions about nothing and not giving up. He’s a salesperson who doesn’t have to use my kitchen. There’s simply no reason for him to care at all which way my fridge door opens, aside from “it’s unusual”. Well, you’ve really made that clear by now. And our kitchen is pretty normal … pretty simple design in a common colour. He should see what the rest of our house will look like when it’s done :laughing:

3 Likes

How infuriating.

Maybe CC the owners on the next email. Just to “keep the lines of communication open” or something that doesn’t read as “tattling” but totally is.

I want to “punch him” for you!

1 Like

SO FRUSTRATING! I can’t understand why he cares so much! As long as he’s covered his butt for the customer coming back with a complaint - which he has - then he should be HAPPY to give the customer what they want.

2 Likes

We have had every refrigerator door changed because of how it would affect the use of our kitchens. I explained it to the sales person that when I was at the stove and needed to grab the butter, I did not want to have to walk around the door that opened INTO my kitchen instead of OUTWARD. A lightbulb seemed to go off in his head and he had it done. A shame that you have to even have to explain, but sometimes, people can’t resolve that they are RIGHT and you are wrong…just insist.

2 Likes

In fact, pretty much any refriderator sold in the US is easy to switch the swing of the door on and comes with directions. There are usually very obvious plugs that cover the holes where the hinges would go on the unused side. This is the same for clothes dryer doors.

2 Likes

How frustrating! People can be so weird. I don’t know why he’s so invested in which way the fridge door opens… it’s not like it’s something that will compromise the structural integrity of your kitchen.

4 Likes

:face_with_symbols_over_mouth: :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

It’s not his kitchen, why F does he care which way the door opens?!!? UUUggghhhhh

2 Likes

It’s the same here, but previously we had a free standing fridge and we could just change it ourselves. Now we are looking to get an integrated fridge, because it looks nicer, so we need the company to integrate it the way we want to. It’s still not a big deal for them to build it the way we want it, but it would be a hassle for us to change it ourselves. From American TV shows we get here, I’m guessing integrated fridges in kitchens are probably less common there but they’re pretty much the norm here. Our fridge and dishwasher will both be fully integrated (so basically invisible).

@Animegirlie I’m afraid this is a simple case of middle-aged man from a traditional background, who wants to put the uppity career woman with her strange demands in her place because her husband is clearly too weak to do that. But maybe I’m projecting my dad on him :laughing:

I know the NL is known as a very progessive country, and in some ways we are, but in some other ways we’re really stuck in the 1950s. Women working fulltime is still a bit of an issue with some people. Some new polls that were published yesterday on International Women’s Day show that the majority of people here don’t support mothers working more than a small parttime job and women without children are still often perceived as cold or unnatural. Plus, since in our culture, being blunt is the norm, people don’t hesitate to tell you what they think of you.

5 Likes

You’re correct that is it is much more rare here. The cost of the appliances that have that ability is much higher and often they don’t even look fully integrated - just like someone has slapped a cabinet door on an appliance!

My own project re-texturing our stairwell walls has ground to a halt. Last week I felt like I was figthing a UTI and gave myself a break, but over the weekend learned that what was happening was actually me passing a kidney stone (5mm) so I’ve been off the ladders. I ended up with some serious pain meds which made it easier to just sit around for a few days, but now that I’m able to get by with OTC pain control I’m getting really antsy with just sitting around! And also unable to just play around with a few supplies at the coffee table for hours without much care - which is how I ended up with my latest post! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

5 Likes

I hope you will be free of pain soon!

1 Like

Yikes! That had to be very painful!

Hope you feel better!

Our bottom cabinets are in and the countertops will be poured next week. We’re doing concrete counters above the cabinets, on the bar, and on the window sill.

8 Likes

How exciting to see it coming together! Looks like you will have tons of storage space and lots of functionality!

2 Likes