Home decor and renovation craftalong

I know you must be so excited to have a large craft area!

2 Likes

Wow! Vast improvement already! You must be so excited.

1 Like

Wow! Coming right along…
But wait— do you have to climb up a ladder to get there?

1 Like

I was thinking the same! We paid $217/sqft 10 years ago and now things are closer to $250/sqft for pretty standard finished townhouses here.

3 Likes

Looks like a great layout! Lots of room for crafty endeavors, congrats!

2 Likes

Yes. Stairs are part of the plan… :crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

That looks like a great space! Certainly liveable - looks pretty big and there’s even a window. And very impressive that Mr. Road just framed and dry walled that section on his own, in a day! We don’t really use drywall here, it’s all brick and plaster here, but this seems a pretty convenient way to DIY home improvements.

@tendstowardschaos that’s a biiiiig difference! We are also replacing all water pipes, electricity, ceilings, insulation etc. It’s a lot of work and money and you don’t really notice it when you’re done, but those are the things you’re going to regret later on when you don’t do them. My neighbour moved in a few years ago and cosmetically updated the whole house (flooring, bathroom, kitchen, painting, everything) but didn’t add insulation or new pipes, and they definitely regret that now! But now it’s impossible to do those things now without causing damage.

Fashion seems to eternally switch between dark and light rooms. A few years ago all white or beige was the biggest trend, but now the shops are full of dark green or black kitchens, bathrooms again. Not my thing either. Especially not for a bathroom, no reason to make an already small room feel even smaller!

@MistressJennie When I looked at the picture of the outside, I honestly kind of thought “meh”. It’s not the kind of house I would normally click on - just personal, the 80s is not really my decade. But as soon as I looked at the next picture, wow, that’s a great house! A lot of potential. The staircase is amazing, the rooms are spacious, especially the kitchen, the floors are nice. And I’m sure you’ll be able to redecorate it in your style and it will look amazing.

5 Likes

We sold our house in Franklin for $321/sq ft. It’s bonkers how different things can be from one area to another. That’s a big reason for why we moved here. We could take the profit off our previous house and make it go a lot further here. And honestly if the house we’re buying were in better shape, we would be paying more. It’s all the little problems and the fact that the owners are divorcing, meaning they don’t want to put the work in to fix it up, so we got a pretty good deal.

7 Likes

Oh and @Abbeeroad, not feeling like a proper adult is absolutely us as well!! Our lifestyle is not that different than it was when I was in college - Mr Imma and I met right after college and we’re now mid-30s and most aspects of our lives haven’t changed since, except our careers / income. But our interests haven’t changed, we’re still total geeks, I’ve not started to wear brand name clothes or get my nails and hair done like some of my coworkers.

This renovation will be the first big change into adulthood, we won’t have a crappy house with random old stuff but a really cute, cosy house with furniture we actually like. We’re not looking to get super expensive things, but we do want to fill our house with good quality, practical furniture. I’m tired of owning things that are barely functional.

I hope to get my driver’s license in a few weeks and then we’ll buy a car as well, to haul stuff to our new house! Car ownership feels very adult to me. I’ve been asking around for recommendations for kitchen, bathroom, flooring etc suppliers and it’s been hard to get recommendations because people automatically assume we’re broke and tell us they’ve heard Ikea kitchens are fine :laughing: I wonder if people will perceive us differently once they’ve seen our new place. I would be a bit disappointed if they suddenly start to take us more seriously just because we own more expensive things, though.

4 Likes

Haha…yeah, that is pretty much us as well. I mean, we have kids, a car, and a house, but we are really just the same kids that met in college. :smile:

3 Likes

I keep telling my husband we should move out of the city so we can get a bigger house but we haven’t done it yet. Some day I’ll get the multi-room weaving, sewing, and art studios of my dreams :joy:

I’m really excited for you! Moving is tough and renovating is one of my least favorite things ever, but it’s so much fun to make the space your own. Looking forward to seeing your progress!

4 Likes

Jim and I have been married for 44 years and still feel like we live pretty much the same lifestyle that we did when we lived in our single wide trailer!

The difference is that our first bed was a Sears&Roebuck queen that we purchased for a little under $200…our current king was a little over $5,000…and you know what? No one really knows or cares, especially us…I would rather have options, experiences and security than stuff. It is all relative…plus, when you have kids and pets, you really don’t want anything too precious that you feel like they can’t enjoy their surroundings. I love it when I go to people’s homes and the walls are scribbled on and the toys are everywhere…there is joy in that house.

6 Likes

You’d love mine, then. :joy: Two boys and a big dog (also male…even my fish is male) are an absolute whirlwind of chaos, clutter, and scribbles. The humorous definition of little boys (a noise with dirt on it), rings true quite often. But, “love grows best in little houses.”

4 Likes

I’ll admit that when we were getting ready to sell the last house, I indulged and bought us a nice sofa, to replace our old cheap one that was quite worn out, and no longer comfortable. I got a 5 pieces of a Lovesac, in a neutral color, so that I would be able to rearranged the pieces however I wanted, in whatever house we landed in. For the 4 weeks before the photos were taken, I had it covered with a sheet, so Astrid couldn’t get her fur all over it, and Ada couldn’t dribble milk anywhere. I whipped the sheet off minutes before the photos, and recovered it right after. But a week later, when the house was safely sold, the sheets went away, and Astrid got to be at home on it. I’m excited to move into our new space, and looking forward to getting to lounge on the comfy new sofa again.

6 Likes

How do you like the Lovesac? We desperately need a new sofa and our stairs prohibit bringing up furniture that isn’t modular.

3 Likes

@tendstowardschaos Yep. Mine too. That’s 1000x us!

3 Likes

I FREAKIN’ LOVE IT.

It is incredibly comfortable. Both for sitting and laying down. My mom slept on it for a week and said she never slept better. Meanwhile we thought we knew how we’d want it set up, and so we set it up that way, but literally 10 minutes later Jim felt like it wasn’t the right configuration for him, so he switched around a couple pieces. The change took him legitimately 2 minutes, and he loved the new setup. (Basically you can set up the seats to be shallow and wide, or deep. We had set it up with all the seats shallow, so the whole sofa was as long as possible. It worked great for me being so short, but Jim is 6’3", and he wanted more seat under his butt and legs. So he swapped around one piece, and we were then both quite comfortable.)

I will say that it wasn’t hard to put together, but it did take a while. They send you links to a few videos to watch about the best way to unpack and set up. Be sure to watch them, and be organized with how you unpack and piece together, and you’ll have no problem.

4 Likes

P.S. The initial set up, is the part that takes awhile. Rearranging is super fast. When you unpack the pieces, you have to put the covers on each of 3 parts, per section you buy. So you get a blank base, uncovered seat, uncovered back pillow, and uncovered arm/back. You need to put the covers on each section. After that you just rearrange and reconnect however you want.

3 Likes

I was configuring them online and it looks like it’s about 7” deeper than our current sofa which may or may not be a deal breaker. Looks like there is a showroom pretty close to us so I might have to take my husband for a field trip to check them out. Thanks for the recommendation and info!

ETA - I just reread your message that you can turn them, well that changes things

2 Likes

We loved the Love sac too! They don’t work well in our current spacs.

3 Likes