Home decor and renovation craftalong

So, I’m not sure if I mentioned this earlier, but some of the wallpaper that was replaced because of that printing mistake… ended up having the same mistake :angry: so we contacted the shop again and it looks like the wallpaper company sent new rolls from the same batch and possibly the whole batch was bad.

Earlier this week, the lady from the shop came by and picked up all the new wallpaper to send back. They’re very helpful and very friendly but of course they are dependent on the wallpaper company. We went by the shop yesterday and they hadn’t heard back from them. Apparantly as it’s a small company they don’t print batches very often. But if this whole batch was ruined (the patterns don’t line up and in some places there are white dots) then I suppose all customers are sending it back and they should print a new batch soon.

In the mean time, we are absolutely not going to be able to meet our goal of finishing the living room in October. And with the whole house stacked full of stuff that came from the living room, I don’t really feel like starting on another room in the house and creating more mess either. Maybe a little project like painting the ceilings in the bathroom and the downstairs toilet.

6 Likes

Hope the wallpaper problem will be resolved soon so you can finish your living room!!

4 Likes

I have been chipping away at getting the craft room cleaned up. I am a messy, messy crafter, often with more than just one or 2 projects underway and sometimes those projects utilize materials and tools from various stashes. Then I often don’t really tidy or restash as I go. Soooooo, this is a big project - at least partly, if not mostly, because I want to organize as I go and not just stuff things into totes and bins. Annnnnnyway, all this is so I an get those bookshelves started and to a certain point by the time we have TheMister’s family here for early Thanksgiving and filling that room with blowup beds! We got weird, early snow last week that is still on the ground which has helped keep me inside to work on that. We often get snow in October, but not the kind that stays around for more than several hours or builds up at all. There was 6" in some places around our property!

5 Likes

Hope you get it all beautifully organized!!
I tend to end up with 2 projects in progress on my work table and I’ve managed that on my computer desk as well with working on this book. I am going to have to do some major clean up soon. I know how glad I will be when it is done!!

I can remember Halloweens with snow here in Michigan when I was very young. Then that seemed very uncommon no doubt due to climate change.

3 Likes

Wellllllll, it will be organized, but not beautifully! I can only blame myself for that. :grimacing:
I have some long-term projects that get worked on intensely then set aside, some projects where I find just the right materials before the time to work on them, etc. Of course, with xmas coming I have a stack of projects lined up to hit hard after Thanksgiving.

3 Likes

Just a little reminder as we head into the holidays: please don’t forget LC this year! We enjoy this place for all the fun swaps, inspirational craftalongs, and incredible inspirations. We have formed some lasting and amazing friendships. And we have done it cost-free. Please think about giving to show your support and love for this great community! Let’s keep this Craftalong going for years to come!

3 Likes

Doing a spot of renovation while everyone is off to Wolf Lodge in Sandusky Ohio (to make up for Youmacon being so disappointing this year).

I’ve been removing the wall paper from Jackson’s bathroom. It’s needed to be changed for a long time.

Will change the light fixture at a later time - we’ve picked out something neat! Also going to replace the towel bar with a system that holds more towels because this bathroom wasn’t designed for towel storage. Will need to get some spackle to fix the walls in a few places.

9 Likes

Good job! Removing wallpaper can be quite a lot of work. I imagine new wallpaper, a new light fixture and a new towel system, this bathroom will look very different!

We are still waiting for our new wallpaper to arrive - yesterday we were told early December. If it’s not here after the first weekend in December, we’re going to bring back all the furniture, celebrate Christmas and finish the wallpaper job in the new year.

We had our new sofa delivered this week and it’s amazing!! We knew it would be relatively big for the space it was in, but after living without furniture in our house for so long, it was a bit shocking to see how much space it actually took up. We’ll be having the first visitors over next weekend, we had hoped to be finished, but it’s no big deal that we’re not. The sofa is big enough for all the adults to sit on. They’re bringing a toddler so it’s actually great we don’t have a dining table yet. Right across from the sofa there’ll just be a large open area for the kid to play instead.

6 Likes

The older I get, the more I like smaller rooms. Less walking, less cleaning! As long as there is room enough to pass through is all you really need! I often wondered what the purpose of such a huge bathroom is: do you really want to walk through a “hall” to get to the toilet or sink? I am too practical, I guess.

@harlan Your plans for the bath sound like nice changes!

2 Likes

I don’t get it either! I like our compact house. It has everything we need. Our sofa fits four people, our dinner table fits 6 or 8 if we have to, and there’s enough space to move around comfortably. Our family isn’t large and we’re not hosting balls so we don’t need ballroom space! I’d love a slightly bigger yard, but I wouldn’t want a huge one. It’s so much work that we just don’t have time for.

We have friends who are also DINKs and they live in this house with enough space for like 4 kids. I think I would feel very silly to live in a house like that with so many bathrooms and bedrooms that barely ever get used. The house does look really nice but I’d be too lazy to do all that unnecessary cleaning. Although a house like that would allow me to get into weaving…

5 Likes

I read sometime ago that we expand into whatever space we have. It just means we accumulate more things to fill the space. I have often told my husband that I was happiest when I had to figure out how to sew in our first home, which was a trailer on a Christmas tree farm. It had two bedrooms, one for sleeping and holding our clothes, the other for his drums. I used the pull out dining space and if I was using it when we had to eat, we sat on the couch with our tv trays.

I now live in a 4 bedroom, 3 bath home with a huge yard and have to hire people to help me. It is not a dream for me…part of why I am destashing is because I want a smaller home I can live in, not take care of.

3 Likes

Yes, good sounding plans @Harlan!

We have a large home because there are 5 of us. Basement: laundry, sewing, storage. Main floor: living, dining, kitchen, powder room, big front porch, small front yard with rock garden no grass, small back porch, big back yard no grass. 2nd floor: 3 bedrooms and bathroom, attic: 1 kid’s bedroom & another we use for guestroom/Rob’s yoga classroom.
The main bath was expanded into the smallest bedroom making it VERY small. The bathroom got bigger, lost the tub & gained a shower. Why anybody would do this is a mystery to us. A bigger bathroom with less function? Waste of space IMHO. If we decide to stay in this house, we wi change it back to a smaller room with a tub.

2 Likes

I unfortunately accumulate things even if I haven’t got space to put them, but wasting the space you have on a giant bathroom does not make sense to me either.

4 Likes

As much as I love having the extra space now, I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t want to live in a house much bigger than this. It really is a lot of work to maintain. My SIL is buying a house twice the size of what they’re in now - 6 bed/6 bath, and they only have two kids still at home. My first thought was, “I hope she’s hiring a cleaning service.” :joy:

We’re in the early stages of planning the remodel of our main floor. We need to discuss how the builder would like to go about it and if we’ll need to basically move out for some or all of the process. We’ll have to do some major decluttering, no matter what. I’m nervous and excited.

5 Likes

I think some people need the openness and space to feel comfortable. Plus, if you have family, people need to be able to claim some space for their own interests and quiet time away from everyone. But, there are also those who need a larger home to feel success or have a tax write-off.

As long as you are content and your fellow roomies are content, anything goes!

You sure did expand what your family is able to do together with your basement renovation. That was a great reason to remodel and expand.

3 Likes

Umm…were you living in a Hallmark Christmas movie? Lol

7 Likes

Lol that was my first thought too :laughing:

Tall, dark and handsome musician meets career girl from the city while picking a tree and they live happily ever after on a Christmas tree farm. If that one hasn’t been made yet, they should!

7 Likes

There’s a Christmas movie with a couple who are from rival Christmas tree farms.

My in-laws’ house was in a Christmas movie…it’s a little surreal watching the film. Like, Dean Cain is shoveling my FIL’s driveway, lol.

10 Likes

Could the bathroom renovation have been for someone in a wheelchair?

My livingroom is large and I’m grateful that it is since half of it has become my “studio”. The other half is occupied by what was the work table for a leather shop (?) which is 11’ long and 5’ wide with two massive supports/storage. It’s surrounded by office chairs and this is where Jackson and his friends play their RPGs, table top, and card games. It’s also handy for me should I want to cut some fabric or anything else that requires a large open surface! We have no sofas anymore. The fireplace is in the middle which helps the division between game area and my area. :wink:
The dining room (which is open to the living room) is the 3D printing station.

Bathroom wallpaper is all removed. We may eventually do a new wallpaper but for now I think we’re going to use some paint that we had for a different project that never happened. I believe what we have is a neutral grey which should go well with the rest of the plans.

4 Likes

It’s the 2nd floor & nothing in the room is accessible so, nope. The guy just had “ideas”. He was handy but also a stoner, lol. The kitchen has an awkward centre island and the counters are all poured concrete that chips but how will we ever remove it? Such a bad idea.

I prefer paint to wallpaper, neutral grey will be easy to accesorize however you want.

2 Likes