Home decor and renovation craftalong

Thank you! It’s almost surreal, now that it’s almost done.

1 Like

Oh my gosh! We got the jukebox all set up tonight and it’s playing all my songs! Okay, this was my DH’s thing, he’s wanted a jukebox for years, but I’m loving this. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

10 Likes

How cool is that?!?!? Especially since you don’t have furniture yet, just a bar, a dance floor and a jukebox, it’s the perfect party space.

3 Likes

So awesome!! Your family is going to make a lot of memories in that space!!

2 Likes

THAT IS SOOOOOOO COOOOOOL! Are there actual CDs in there or do you download files? It seems big enough to hold the actual CDs and that seems more in line with copyright laws, but…

1 Like

I am sooooo close to finishing phase one of my stairwell remodel (?)! I starting back in February thinking that this part would take about two weeks… sigh. Then the stupid kidney stone situation and the totally foreseeable unforeseeable glitches along the way have me nearing the end of the first week of April with just a couple little bits to go.

The Glitches:

1. The house is plumbed for a central vacuum, but did not come with the actual vacuum and the place where it would go is not space we are willing to give up as storage. There is a vacuum port at the top of the stairwell that was poorly installed (sticks further out than it was designed to) so I removed the exterior part (it just pulled off) with the intention of putting a blank junction box cover over it. Welllllll, it’s not a standard size in any way, so I have had to make some adjustments to that plan over the course of visits to a few different hardware stores and home centers. I hope to get that part of the project wrapped up today.

1. I rewired, painted, and replaced a few parts to the light fixtured that was there because it had the correct size fitter to accept a vintage glass shade that I already had and wanted to use. I measured the shade and the fitter several times, but kept forgetting to actually test. As you can probably guess the fitter is not the correct size. It’s just about 1/8" too small to make work. Of course, I did not discover this until the fixture as already rewired above the stairs. ANYWAY on Saturday,I should receive some parts to make it all work and it won’t be too hard to install them while standing on the ladder on the stairs.

Because of the kidney stone situation delay, phase two will have to wait for a few-to-several months as spring is a busy time and even busier this year.

I will try to get some pics to add in here later today.

4 Likes

Yes, it’s full of CDs. It holds 100, but we only have 91 in there currently… it’s a pretty eclectic mix (popular music from the 50s onward, most of it kid-friendly). There were a few we wanted to add, but didn’t have in our music collection…like a Bee Gees greatest hits album (still looking for a single disc with all their hits, most are 2-disc sets). :joy:

3 Likes

This makes me so happy! I saw some Queen and I think Billy Joel in there. And just last week I watched the Bee Gees do and spent the next day (shadow) dancing around to a greatest hits playlist. Fun Fact: Andy Gibb was the first concert I went to… I was, like 7. I had a neighbor friend who was 12 and she invited me, we were accompanied by her friend’s mom.

4 Likes

That’s awesome! The Bee Gees are timeless. We were at a comedy show once, and the comedian made a joke about men who are successful with women all have one thing in common - they own a Bee Gees album. He pointed to a guy who was there with friends and said something to the effect of, “you’re single; you probably don’t own a Bee Gees album.” And the guy admitted he didn’t. :joy: Then points to my husband, and says, " you’re married, I bet you do." (He actually does, just not a greatest hits album.)

You did see Queen in there! Seriously, everything… The Monkees, Patsy Cline, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Aerosmith, Oasis, Wilson Phillips, Garth Brooks, The Beatles, The Cranberries, The Smashing Pumpkins, ELO, Journey, Green Day, Weird Al, etc.

4 Likes

So cool…better not let my husband see it…lol…He has been having me find and get him CDs from “the past”… outrageous what some of them are going for, but, like he said, they are now “vintage” :rofl:

I will admit to owning the Odessa album on vinyl…I am pretty sure I have all the BeeGees but my husband is not a fan…He also does not like opera or musicals…so maybe I need my own jukebox…ha ha ha.

Your family space is going to be a very happy place!

5 Likes

Yard sales, flea markets, and thrift stores are good places to check out for old music. With everyone going digital, people don’t always keep the discs after digitizing their collection.

I couldn’t talk my husband into letting me include a few classical/opera albums, but I tried. Oh well, I have them on my mp3 player and computer.

To stay on-topic…we got a practical monsoon today and discovered that the electric company did not properly seal the hole for the new lines coming into the house and now it’s leaking water. Electrician will fix that and install a line for our generator and a hookup for our camping trailer.

Concrete guy is coming tomorrow to look at the counters. Friday is round two of furniture shopping (sans children)…barstools, sofa, rugs, and end tables.

4 Likes

Oh no! Well, there is always something even after the job is done…we had new gutters installed and didn’t even notice that they forgot the small dormer window in back…it’s been three months, but they are coming back to fix it…always something!

1 Like

There is no way I am getting rid of my CDs. FOr one, I can’t remember what to listen to without looking at a list. I was given a GIANT binder of CDs that did not necessarily include the “liner notes/covers” a few years back, but mostly it’s not my thing. Some of it is, though! I should dig it out and see about selling what I can - maybe start a jukebox fund?

3 Likes

@tendstowardschaos, your jukebox is EPIC!

@TheMistressT, I’m sorry you are having so many setbacks my friend!

As for our place… The contractors we hired finally came back and did some work. It seems they needed to order some supplies, which took a few weeks to come in, but they never told us this. They just disappeared without a word. Last week they replaced several pieces of hardboard on the facade of the house that had been left unsealed and had begun to rot. (Our house is a Tudor style, and the white portions that would be traditionally be wattle & daub are made using a material called hardboard nowadays.) They then replaced the faux ‘timber beams’, and repainted those. Since the house hasn’t been repainted in years and years, the new paint looks far too nice beside the old faded stuff! :laughing:

They also repaired the rot that had started under the sliding door to our bedroom. Thankfully they were able to do it without damaging or needing to replace the door itself. The door is original to the house, and matches the other two sliders. It’s beautiful wood, and has built-in blinds. Getting a new one would have meant a custom order build and a 4-5 month wait, not to mention a several thousand dollar price tag. At the same time, they repaired the cladding around the chimney that was again, falling off and beginning to rot. (Have I mentioned how much I hate the previous two owners for neglecting basic maintenance for the last 10+ years?)

They also cut a hole and installed a vent cover in the kitchen. It seems that the heating duct was built into the kitchen 42 years ago, but either never had the vent hole cut, or it was somehow covered during a kitchen update, so no heat or air conditioning has been happening in there all this time.

Now we’re waiting on a new window for the bonus room. They attempted a repair of more rot under that window, where more cladding had come off, but the frame was in really bad shape, and the window itself was old, and couldn’t be opened and closed unless you had someone standing outside of it. On a roof. To hold it closed. :woman_facepalming:

Meanwhile we continue to unpack and try to fix things to suit us. We keep finding weird quirks. Weird thing #496: My husband keeps finding shirt pins stuck into the walls. I’m talking about the tiny straight pins that come in men’s shirts, to keep them perfectly folded in stores. He keeps finding them randomly stuck into the wall along the stairwell in the foyer. Why? Your guess is as good as ours.

7 Likes

Oh, and if anyone could hazard a guess as to why the previous owners removed a ton of electrical outlet faceplates, and ALL of the smoke detectors, we’d love to know.

Seriously. They had a 5 year old, and toddler, and they removed the covers to outlets, and every friggen smoke detector in the house. :rage:

3 Likes

Did they remove the faceplates right before moving out? Were they anything fancy? I can see taking them if they were vintage or something like that. The smoke detectors are a mystery, though, the fire department just gives those away.

1 Like

No, the faceplates were a mix of garbage. They left them here. Some in the right rooms, some in other rooms. Just not over the outlets. :woman_facepalming:

3 Likes

People are weird.

People are weird. The person in this house before us was exceedingly fond of screws and the nail gun. I must have spent 10 hours removing them. There were SO many in the basement, some surfaces looked like bizarro hedgehogs. There are so many other quirks to this place, including what we thought was a functional toilet in the basement that had water and flushed but was actually just sitting there unsecured to anything. That is all I will say about that.

3 Likes

:flushed: :flushed: :flushed:

Well that’s a story.

5 Likes