Home decor and renovation craftalong

:joy: I know someone who writes those movies for a living. He’s amazing!

7 Likes

They do beautiful work. Not sure how we’d remove the finish off our concrete tho. It’s a mess.

3 Likes

I’m not sure you’d have to, I don’t know what your current surface is doing. You might have to rough up the surface with some sandpaper, but this epoxy bonds to everything and fills in gaps. You would probably just need a thin base coat to seal the surface, a colored flood coat, and a topcoat to seal off any pigment (the pigments aren’t food-safe, but the clear coat is).

2 Likes

Tomorrow is supposed to be the last day our builder is going to be here and I really hope he’s going to fix the heating at last! :crossed_fingers: Our house is well insulated now but it’s still mid-November and it’s starting to get chilly!

5 Likes

I am so excited that I get to join you all on this thread soon. After 14 months without a kitchen, utility room, or my craft storage (long, involved story involving spillover from a schizophrenic neighbor who destroyed her condo) the builders will start on Monday! Honestly, the part I’m most excited about is finally getting to put away everything that has been sitting out in my living areas for the past year.

7 Likes

I can imagine your excitement! We lived without a kitchen for only 2 months and I was so glad to have one again.

1 Like

Talked to our builder today, and we might be starting the main floor remodel as soon as April! :scream:

6 Likes

That’s very soon!! It would be great to get it done, but I can also imagine you guys are so glad to finally be done and aren’t looking forward to more mess.

We just picked up the latest batch of wallpaper at the store and I’m honestly a bit scared to open up the first roll to check if this print is right. We’ve decided that if it’s still not right, we’re going to cancel our order and pick new wallpaper. But that would mean finding a new print that matches the solid colour we’ve already put on 3/4 walls in the living room, or redoing that as well. Just :crossed_fingers: that it’s right this time.

4 Likes

I hope this wallpaper is finally right. If you have to switch gears, a print in a coordinating, but not matching, color might be easier than repainting. After all, you have that gorgeous drapery fabric that matches!

While I’m glad to be done with the first remodel, I’ll be more relieved to have it all done. Depending on how our builder wants to tackle it (we’re replacing windows/doors, remodeling 2 of 3 bathrooms and the kitchen, and all the flooring is being replaced), we may need to find temporary accommodations while they work. That is what’s actually stressing me out - we have a big dog, so finding a rental wouldn’t be easy.

2 Likes

We moved out completely as well, and it was a huge hassle but I’m glad we did. It meant that we had a warm, clean place to go home to at the end of the day.

It was super expensive though - the rent we paid for that small trailer was more than our mortgage. Renting an apartment in our city was simply more expensive than we could afford. If we’d had the space, I would have preferred to buy an old trailer and put it somewhere on our own property instead. We moved back to our house earlier than would have been ideal purely for financial reasons. On your own property, that’s less of an issue.

2 Likes

We have a camper, but that doesn’t solve the problem of needing to use the bathroom. My in-laws have a lake house, but I don’t want to monopolize that for who knows how many months, even if some of it will be off-season. And we’d still have to store all of our furniture and belongings (some of it could go downstairs). Rentals in my area are almost all houses, and the rates are so high, I might as well just buy a second house and sell it when we’re done.

3 Likes

Just be very careful of the tax implications of buying a second home and then selling it in the short run…

Do your have an estimate about how long it will take? We had both bathrooms done, but the contractor did not touch the second bathroom until the first was completely done. It kept us from moving out…but with a family, one bathroom or even two won’t cut it :laughing:. We had our windows replaced but the remodel was in the spring so they could get each window done without letting in the cold. The garage door and outside facade took the longest, but we didn’t have to move for that.

Rents are high, and we might be forced to buy if our current lease is not extended, but, I am not going to worry about that for a few more months. The thought of moving makes me anxious!

3 Likes

No estimates yet. Which is why I’m flitting from one solution to another, and unable to pin down any real plan. I just really want to avoid living amongst the noise and dust of another remodel - that was so stressful and I was on a different floor and could mostly avoid it.

I’ll be sure to bring it up with our tax firm, but half my husband’s family are accountants, lol. I’m sure they’ll weigh-in on my options. If I can find a nice cottage or lake house, I might be able to talk DH into keeping it for vacations…yeah, probably not, lol. It’s silly, but I want a log cabin. But, yeah, moving is awful. I did it a lot as a kid because of a very unstable parent and I swore I’d never do it again. The remodel is necessary, though.

4 Likes

I’ve moved 37 times…I loved it as a kid, but my parents made it great for us…we got to see so much and experience a lot of things some people never get to…but as I get older, I like it less and less…

3 Likes

I’ve always lived in the same general area, and my 10 moves in 15 or 16 years were almost all traumatic. My DH has lived in the same house his whole life, so he’s rather attached to it. So, moving holds almost no charm for me at all. But, that’s why we’re so dead-set on making this the house of our dreams.

4 Likes

You are doing a great job to make it a home for yourself and your family. I am not attached to my house at all. I enjoy wherever I am living, but it presents challenges that is not suitable for everyone. I am sure with your renovations, you will get the house and home you have dreamed up. It is a worthy goal!

3 Likes

Hope the wallpaper is right this time!!!

If not, a large wall stencil?
When I painted the kitchen cabinets I used wall stencil of birch trees which was pretty easy to do and very nice. I wasn’t doing a whole wall which I’m sure would be more complicated, but still an option.

3 Likes

The wallpaper is right!! There’s a lot of work to do but hopefully by the end of the day we’ll have made a lot of progress.

Unfortunately, my super-good-at-DIY sibling, who had offered to come and help us, just texted that they forgot and made other plans :roll_eyes: not the first time, shouldn’t have counted on them. I made a whole list for them and was looking forward to having them all ticked off. Nothing I can’t do myself but lots of small tasks that we haven’t gotten around to yet. Put up a light fixture here, a mirror there, a curtain rail there. An hour or two would have been a great help.

7 Likes

So glad to hear the wallpaper was right this time!! YAY!!!

1 Like

Glad to hear about the good news on the wallpaper, but, your sister flaking on you when you needed her to help…ugh…I am sure you are impatient to have it done, but it will be done…can’t wait for pictures of your renovated spaces!

2 Likes