How do you organise your stash?

You are both slaying me with the adorable squirrelyness! Dang, but I love those naughty little imps. They are just SO CUTE!

I’ve been waffling with motivation through this, it’s been so difficult to plan something and see it through, never mind organize. I did a big round of destashing and bought kallax shelves before this so things were pretty functional at the start but my man is working from home so the everything-but-sewing room has turned into his office and now I do need to sort some things out again to fit them all into one space. The thing that will help me the most is still destashing and to that end I’m making a lot of stuff, working on UFOs and sewing masks and baby quilts. Nothing new has come into the house aside from groceries so every little bit of makery helps clear out space. I’m starting to feel the pressure too because some provinces are talking about opening up stores etc and you never know when you’ll be called back to work. Every bit of sitting around doing nada is going to weigh on my mind once I’m going to an office all week again. I feel pushed to motor through projects and tidying but… going too fast takes away the enjoyment so I’m trying to balance it all.

Those kallax shelves are great, I really like them a lot. I can’t see through them to what’s inside but I have labelled most of them and just keep one thing in each so it’s easy to find what I want. I used to have stacks and stacks of clear bins but I gave them to the kids because I’d end up with stacks of them on the floor, some open and spilling out, and putting them away was like doing a puzzle each time.

1 Like

I am hopeless at this but I’ve tried a couple of methods. I agree - tins and baskets are pretty, but you can’t see anything. So the dreaded plastic shoe box is key: they stack, you can see into them, and you can place themunder your desk/table.

I buy differnt metal, open-top organizers - like you would use on your outdoor dinig table for pens and scissors and other tall-ish things.

Organizing paper is a personal thing - I use pockets and envelopes to sort images and words but that is getting too fussy and clutter-y for me lately. I’m searching Pinterest and YouTube for alternative ideas. I did buy several plastic (aaaarrrrggghhhh!) envelopes with snaps - which is helping corral the small bits I tend to use repeatedly.

I guess I’m not adding any important info - just trying to motivate myself!

The puzzle part of the storage kind of helps my creative process! Isn’t if wonderful how everyone finds a different path to their creative ends? I think the fact that we’re about in the middle of Spring Birthday season is forcing me to stay on task with my making. Over half the birthdays we give gifts for are between mid-April and mid-June, plus Mother’s Day and Father’s Day shortly after. And of course, everything but Eric’s birthday and Father’s Day have to be shipped, so I gotta keep swimming or I’ll sink!

We also have these squirrels, but haven’t seen them since the last time a bear destroyed the bird feeder and I haven’t repaired it yet.
http://fieldguide.mt.gov/speciesDetail.aspx?elcode=AMAFB09030

And these cuties who don’t bother the house at all, but give Delia hours and hours of entertainment.
http://fieldguide.mt.gov/speciesDetail.aspx?elcode=AMAFB02020

For my little cut off bits I use 13 x what ever it is ziploc style bags. Each bag is 1 colour. Then those are put into a tote that slide onto a shelf I have. When I pull it out to work with I can just find the bag with the colour I need then find the right bit inside if that makes sense.

2 Likes

Yes it does make sense. And it’s a good idea. Breaking categories down into smaller subdivisions, means you don’t have to sort through a load of stuff to find what you need.

@Smmarrt I label everything. I use old tins and boxes that I make pretty. I try and keep to smallish ones so that there is only one kind of thing in each. And then they are all labelled. It really does help. But I do have translucent mini drawer units that I am also using-not as pretty, but also labelled.

I did find a good idea online, using folders for cling stamps. Its my task for today. I need to work out how to use a heat tool of some kind to divide a punched pocket. (Document protector) into two, to allow it to be two compartments on the one ‘page’. Then I’ll stamp each stamp on card and tuck the whole lot away into the pocket and then into a folder. Hopefully then I’ll just be able to flip through to find what I need.

1 Like

For the metal die cutters my friend stores hers in a photo album. They seem to be the right size for those. I don’t see why you couldn’t use a similar idea for cling stamps too. I would show you how I store my 12x12 stuff but I only have the best thrift store find for them. I use the 12x12 totes and then the shelf I paid a whole $8 for they slide onto perfectly!!

Hope you have fun organizing and find all kinds of “new” treasures!

Reorganizing my “room of requirement” (AKA, my crafting / sewing room) has been my quarantine project. It was an ABSOLUTE disaster prior to then, and I had really let my creativity take the back burner due to competing priorities. My space is now split up into stations depending on what I’m working on. While not all of this is paper / vinyl… I do have a lot of fabric stash as well. Here are some pictures which I’m almost embarrassed to share because my space is still a big mess!

I have a large standing height cutting table where I can cut fabric / paper crafts. This is made from 2 6 11-inch cube book cases and a hollow core door. I have a self healing cutting mat on top. This is where my scraps of fabric and many sewing tools are stored. It needs some more organization but it’s definitely a WIP. In the 11 inch cubes I store my fabric yardage wrapped around comic book boards. I wish I had a photo of the way I store my fabric stash, but I don’t yet (I can take one if someone wants to see it!!!). Don’t mind the picture, I need to attach the curtain to the front. Underneath is a catch all of stuff that doesn’t have a place…

cutting table

I have a 8-cube KALLAX rip off from target that has baskets and shelves. This is my catch all of supplies that don’t have another home (adhesive, markers, pens, etc).

And then there are the built in drawers… which is where all my paper is stored, along with my cutter and die cuts. They’re the pink drawers on either side of the dormer.

I am waiting on a drawer unit like the ALEX drawers to store my vinyl. It will go under this table here, which is where my cricut lives. Don’t mind Tiny Human, she was doing a video of me while I was taking this photo :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

I found rather inexpensive plastic drawer units to hold my 12x12 papers. Even though my filing system is a little weird, it works for me. The file cabinet on the top shelf contains collage sheets; the bin next to it has “bright colors”, “Christmas” and “letters and images”. The lower shelf holds “Halloween”, “Circus”, and “black and cream” papers. Next to it, five plastic tackle boxes contain brads and charms. Paper punches are in the container next to the tackle boxes. The lower shelf has glue dots, threads and a box of stuff I don’t use very much, i.e. very random crap.

On the top shelf of the next photo, the plastic drawers contain foam glue dots, other glues, and clothespins and rubber bands for keeping things attached while they dry after gluing. Large tomato cans hold copic markers, and old spice tins hold paperclips, toothpicks, small wooden popsicle sticks, etc.
The large set of drawers below contain overflow papers. They’re not labeled, but they are for “housing and nature”, (basically wood looks, bricks, and floral), “red and pink”, and “turquoise and blue”. Next to that, the smaller drawers contain 6x6 or 8x8 paper pads. The shelf below is all stamps, plus ink pads I don’t use often.

I just added this cart right before quarantine. The top shelf is for my supplies for my current project (it’s now awaiting a shipment from Alpha Stamps). The second shelf holds my most used stamp pads, some ink brushes, x-acto blades, stuff that needs to be put away (as if!), and my colored pencils. The bottom shelf is for WIPs that are waiting for extra supplies or just extra inspiration. Not sure if that helps, but there you have it.

8 Likes

@Imnatari ohh I’m jealous, you have so much space…I love the separate stations for each craft.

@racky that’s really interesting. I love the look of your spice tins and tomato things, but the drawer units look really useful

I organised all my cling stamps today, they are now in this folder.

I used a heat tool to make pockets, in a paper pocket to separate all the sets of stamps. Printed each stamp on paper, so I can now see everything easily. I’m very happy with it. But it took me hours"

7 Likes

Thanks, @Edel! I am very fortunate that when we bought this house the attic was already finished. It’s split into two spaces, my husband has 2/3 of it from his home office (he used to exclusively WFH) and I have the other 1/3 as my craft room!

1 Like

I have two ikea bookcases for my floss and patterns. It has drawers too. I’ll take a picture when I get home. I also use up a lot of old boxes from shipping for supplies. Oh! Also, shoe boxes for my charms.

2 Likes

@Edel
I like how you did your stamps. I am so bad at getting everything back in it’s plastic bag. they always tear.

I have the same type of plastic drawers that Racky does. some 12" and some smaller. I also have a bunch of small clear plastic shoebox sized boxes (bought a case on amazon) and I keep things in them like all my assemblage bits. and random stuff.

for paper - I have a 10 drawer 12"12 paper organizer that they sell in craft stores around here for the large portion of my paper supply.

for scraps I have 2 cases that have small compartments. and I organize by color. the first bin is for scrap under 6"x6".

the second bin is 3 tiered and small. Those are for the really little paper scraps under 2"x2"

4 Likes

Wow you really are organised.

I’ve pulled my stash out and burnt a lot of rubbish, anything smallish is boxed up ready for a friend’s kids. I’ve not kept much smaller than 6*6 but now I’ve 8 categories, sorted by colour and 4 drawers, I just need some kind of a divider to keep them apart. Of course the whole place is in chaos at the moment, but I’m slowly getting through it.

1 Like

i regularly view craft rooms images online for inspiration and the Gallery section at Scrapbook.com. My latest find there is someone used a etagere, 2 tier cake stand for her NUVO drops. I had a small one in kitchen but took it to my craft area and it has the little bottles NUVO, Stickles, re-inkers etc.

I have a lot of hobbies and have started to try to keep things sectioned.

I stopped buying complete sets of coloring items and just buy open stock favorite/most used colors. A very large empty pencil metal tin I keep all watercolor supplies in it.

I have a fairly large basket ( was for grocery shopping so sturdy stable item) try to keep all the mixed media supplies in it and re-used metal tin of bonbons, cookies bought on holiday/vacation when I was still able to travel and still able to grocery shop myself.

I have a few trolleys but they are old and one broke, but saved the drawers and those are stacked housing all the junk journals made trying to use up leftovers of crafts supplies from all my hobbies.

The crochet stuff fits one hatbox, few yarns, set of hooks, unfinished scarf. Some cotton yarn leftovers which get made into shower cloths. I have osteoarthritis so crochet is achy to do.

Threads, cross stitch, needlework etc is housed in cookie tins.

Quilt fabric is in a cupboard it all fits 3 cubes of 33 cm square each but again I go slow with things I hand sew and hand quilt. Very little apparel and upholstery fabric. Might make new covers for the 2 chairs in my crafts area, is also my downstairs sick/illness room as I can manage stairs once a day maybe twice seldom. OA is not nice.

Under my bed keep a few bins. Medium size. I have old magazines which I use for collage.

Stamps I keep in a 3 stack drawers that fits most and the 2 A4 stamp sets that came with Creative Stamping magazine sit on top of it.It is in small closet next to my perfumes.

Some of the perfume boxes house the older color pencils. Those boxes are upright in a toiletries open box that fits perfume box red and pink pencils in a rose color box, green pencils green perfume box, blue pencils blue perfume box etc.

New CP I buy openstock I decoupage the blank box they came in same for my few NeoColors. Some old crystal glass small size vases uses for paint brushes.
Jam jars add washi tape and use for storage.

I have 3 Panettone metal tins one houses the Xmas supplies as I used up many things into Xmas junk journals. The other 2 house scrapbooking/cardmaking/JJ papers, cardstock remnants etc. Old cake box houses garden catalogs for collage/decoupage.

Old hot sauce bottles hold my iridescent coloring liquids diy.

The Ikea furniture in area is a wooden 3 tier small round side table next to the bed houses my perfume samples, my diy aromatherapy oil blends, few books I browse read bits, the.usual nightstand necessities etc. I forgot name of table…2 old Ikea chairs 2 types bought even before DD was born so older than 20 yrs and the single bed Ikea old metal model. One table is from officecentre and other is much smaller diy just fits next to bed lengthwise and in between the stack of drawers from demised trolley on top of 2 medium bins housing bits still to be sorted.

I did think about maybe a Rasskog trolley but ended up buying other supplies instead.

Old perfume bottle removed cap bit with pliers and re-use as a little vase.

Large flat rose color perfume set box houses my silk threads.

All beads, beadwork and wirework stuff has own 4 drawer cabinet that stands in other room.Sorted 2 drawers prior to Xmas. Still have to do the other 2 drawers.

The room has 2 small tables 2 chairs small closets but also the house stuff like TP lives there.Office supplies of the s/o. Trolleys, medium sized plastic bins.

Empty Hallmark Xmas card 3 stacked sturdy boxes house small things like twines, bits of lace, etc.

From the re-use plastic tomato bins I posted on old Craftster forum emptied most of those to re-house things, still have 4 to do.

Harmonica file folders A4 storage oldest papers must sort those out. Is from when DD was toddler so I get nostalgia and think back.

Due to heatwaves past 2 summers some stamps melted, my gesso dried up…still sorting out some very small boxes that have bits of papers some useful for JJ. Made a a small narrow JJ this week using up bits from one box was a nice blue handcream box that fits leftovers of papers nicely like half an A5 and 1 inch stack.

Old small glass jam jars I mix acrylic paint colors.Old paint brushes painted the handles.

If someone knows easy way to remove those vertical blinds? Found some curtain material want to do that for windows.

My adult coloring books live next to the 1 inch stack of cardstock.

Aromatherapy stuff lives in a old wooden wine box.
A few wooden wine boxes are upright on table edge house the ink bottles, ATC cards, wooden stamps have 11 of those. Old pickles bottle house the glitter tubes.

Stencils collection is 13 those are next to the perfume pencils boxes. 6x6 largest size.

Shoebox I added scented drawer papers many years ago, that houses my old DMC floss.

Still thinking about maybe buying a die cut machine…

Parchment craft lives in a box together with extra papers. One whitework parchment craft magazine, one bought patterns set and some printed pdf free patterns.

Internet made me do it, get that many hobbies. And one of my previous neighbours had habit getting a new hobby every year and switching out totally. Me I just added more to my list. I like to do/make different things. Keep an art journal that also uses up things.

2 Likes

Darn internet!
I do the same thing though. I have supplies for so many different crafts. Some don’t get used as regularly as others but I can’t imagine just ditching everything whenever I change gears. Like I used to do tons of quilling. Not so much in recent years but I now have reason to work on a large quilling project and I have everything I need!

3 Likes

Me too. I wouldn’t have known about a lot of different crafts until the interweb and deadster

2 Likes

Pictures relating to my previous post of my organising of crafts supplies.

All the watercolors in the big pencils metal tin and the color pencils upright in perfume boxes together in a plastic toiletries holder small size stencils.
Upcycled painted old brushes with acrylic paints and one is only end bits painted as dark blue middle part was still good condition.

6 Likes

I love pictures of other people’s stash

2 Likes

I’ve been working on this organization project since November–so even though it looks like a case of coronavirus cabin-fever, it’s actually just evidence that I’m in my element during quarantine. :sweat_smile:

Thousands upon thousands of dictionary words and phrases, almost all uplifting/constructive/ positive (the whole process is very intentional and meditative), organized by what they are grammatically (using terms useful for me rather than proper grammar terms).

Though this puts the anal in “analytical”, the quantity of tiny cutouts dumped into one big bag together was so unwieldy it was too overwhelming to start actually using any of it. Now I can put together serendipitous sentences much faster. The bags were all reclaimed from past swaps or purchases, and as I gathered more bags I added more categories.

As of this morning I have everything organized that I’ve cut out, so one of these days I’ll start cutting out more. And if anyone’s in need of some, just let me know and I’ll send you a baggie of whatever you want. I feel like a word-hoarder.

9 Likes

Wow. That is impressive.

1 Like