I made BASKETS?

These are great! One side of my house is covered in the closely related Boston Ivy and now that the leaves are falling and the little suction cups won’t tear tiny holes in my siding, so I can tear it back to the ground again, I have been googling “can you make baskets out of Boston ivy”… I haven’t found a ton of results, but they are all members of the grape family, so my gut instinct said of course you can. And here is proof!

I love the boat-shaped ones. They look fantastic in this medium!

4 Likes

Thanks!
I’m pretty much positive you can use the Boston ivy for it. Not sure if you should use it as-is or soak it at this point though.
I didn’t think the suckers would legitimately pull off the siding??? Wow!

2 Likes

Yeah, if they are green and healthy, the suckers will take little bits of whatever they’re attached to with them when you pull them off. They damage brick, paint, siding (especially if the siding isn’t vinyl or metal). You have to wait for it to die back or cut it and let it die before removing it. And even then, the biggest reason it won’t do as much damage is that the little suction cups usually stay attached and the teeny stems just break.

1 Like

Wooooow that’s such a pain! But think about how cool plants are! :open_mouth:

They are pretty cool! We have a number of plants at this house that were there when we moved in, and they have some really cool properties. I will be the first to admit, some of those properties would make me not choose them as ornamentals in my garden, but as I already have them, I do what I can. Lol

2 Likes

I have a ton of Virginia creeper. I never thought of using it to create something. I am always fighting it back out of my neighbors yard. These are so create and amazing!

2 Likes

You should totally try basket weaving! Or at the very least you can make them into a wreath. Even if you’re not a wreath-maker you could always give it to someone who is!

2 Likes