I need a new sewing machine - advice?

Steph, is that the one with the 7-9mm feed dogs? The lady in the store buying the same machine as me had something like that & she loved it but those feed dogs are too wide to do pintucks, just fyi.

1 Like

That measure I’m not sure of. And likely wouldn’t sway me either way. I’ve only ever accidentally pin Tucked something. :joy:

It was so much power. And so fun to drive. My only compliant, I’m pampered with top load bobbins and the side loads are a PAIN.

4 Likes

I went to school for design, we had to wind bobbins, insert needles, & rethread machines every time we sat down. Including the serger :flushed:.
Side bobbin is cake after years of that :laughing:

1 Like

Bernina or brother are my favorites since many people have already advised you machines. I would like to advise you on a sewing table, my mum always sews at an ordinary kitchen table and her back constantly hurt. But try the special table, the first one 8 Best Sewing Tables Reviewed in Detail (Summer 2022) It is a really comfortable height (I’m 5ft 10in) and the drop-down section is handy for the keyboard if you so wish. I bought it for my mum. The desk is sturdy and strong and I ended up ordering another which I will actually be using for myself.

I love the new machine I got. It’s so, SO fast! Takes practice getting comfy with the speed modulation. The stitches are gorgeously perfect tho.

The Kobe is taking a bit more time to love. I’ve got some heavy duty projects to complete, multiple layers of denim etc, after which I’m sure I’ll be in love with it.

2 Likes

Has anyone tried an Elna? The quilt shop by me only sells Janome and Elna. My mom is looking for a new machine but it HAS to be self-threading. It’s hard for her to see that small anymore. I have a Brother and her friend has a Brother. She doesn’t power-sew, but would like to make a quilt one day.

4 Likes

I’ve never used an Elna but I know some people in my sewing class have them. I know it’s a well-known brand that’s been around a long time and their basic models are fairly affordable/good value for money, which is why they’re popular with beginners, but I’m pretty sure they have machines in many different price ranges.

2 Likes

Does anyone need a new-to-them machine? I was over at the Idea Store today and they had a nice solid steel Viking Selectronic 6570 for $125. I was sooo tempted to take it home, either for myself, or anyone here who might need a good solid all-steel-parts machine. It seemed to have absolutely everything with it, including its manual, foot pedal, quilting extension table, solid cover, and even a selection of knobs, that somehow are used to change stitch. It looked like 40 or so stitches.

Here’s a video showing the same machine:

3 Likes

OMG I love it.

(Seriously. I love the color too.)

My ma made her sewing machine purchase a couple weeks ago. It was… hm… I want to say she got a Janome, but it might have been an Elna. The store she went to didn’t sell Brothers and could not repair them, either, and she wanted to try out a machine before buying it. She’s pretty pumped about this. Auto threads and will snip it for her, too, which is all she really wanted at the time anyway.

3 Likes

Hello guys, I found this https://parts.jacksew.com/hanging-roller-strt-guide-generic-mah-15201-0a0/ just wondering if anyone knows if it would fit a Juki 441?

I was was also thinking to upgrade my machine and found those guys selling a similar one for around $5K: https://www.jacksew.com/highlead-ga2688-1-single-needle-extra-heavy-duty-shuttle-hook-16-5-cylinder-arm-compound-walking-foot-sewing-machine/

Also did anyone have any experience ordering from Jacksew?