Inkwell Drawing 1

Iโ€™ve got a small collection of glass inkwells and I drew one of them with colored pencils on black paper.

I hope you like it.

32 Likes

Absolutely gorgeous!!! This is an incredible piece. I love all the highlights and reflections. Not easy to do.

3 Likes

Wow. It looks so lifelike.

1 Like

Wow, gorgeous! All those reflections! :exploding_head:

1 Like

Nicely done!!

How many glass inkwells do you have?? I used to do ink drawings long years ago, mostly with rapidograph (I believe they were called), but I had ink pens and bottles of ink, but never a lovely inkwell like this!!

There are so many tools related to correspondence that have fallen out of fashion. I carried and used a fountain pen long after they fell out of style (Iโ€™d still carry one if I were still writing checks).

1 Like

Beautiful work! I hope you will show off more of your collection with future drawings!

1 Like

I love it!

1 Like

Gorgeous likeness!

1 Like

Beautiful!

1 Like

Glass is so, so difficult to draw, and this looks amazingly real! How big is your drawing?

1 Like

Wow! Beautiful job!

1 Like

Thanks everyone for your wonderful compliments!

So far Iโ€™ve got a collection of 4 glass inkwells (and some ink stands and other writing and reading related items). I donโ€™t use them, they are just sitting pretty on my bookshelves.

@Harlan, long ago I used to draw with East-Indian ink and dip pens, often combined with water colors.

I hope to draw one or more of my other glass inkwells someday too, but like @gozer said, it isnโ€™t easy to do (and hard to photograph afterwards too).

The size of this picture, including the black, is 15x10cm, so 6x4inch.

4 Likes

On the art forum to which I belong when the more experienced painters would advise the less experienced painters on how to paint things like glass the advice was always โ€œpaint what you see, not what you knowโ€.
It isnโ€™t easy!

2 Likes

Wow
Glass is so hard to draw but you did it superbly :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Wow! This is amazing. When I first tapped on the post I saw the photo and started scrolling to find the drawing. I thought this was the actual inkwell shown for reference.

1 Like

That is a drawing?? Amazing. I thought it was a photo.

2 Likes

Wait, what? This is โ€ฆ not a photo? Wwow.

1 Like

So impressive!

1 Like

Wow, you are very talented!

1 Like

Aw, thanks everyone!

1 Like