Instant Pot tips and recipes

I have been making more Mexican dishes since getting mine. I make mole’ and tamales. My grandma’s pot roast recipie is way better when I cook it in the instapot.

this is pretty much the only way we make our rice now…and mac and cheese…and pulled pork/chicken and soups… but the latest, greatest thing i’ve been making the husbeast and daughter beefeater is this: instant pot roast beef - the only change i made is to use water instead of stock and it still makes a lovely gravy. beyond the initial searing of the beef and sauteeing the onion/garlic…its pretty hands off.

also - frozen chicken recipe. my takeaway from when i started cooking frozen chicken in the pot was before i freeze it i make sure its as flat as possible so it will separate if i only want to cook off a couple of breasts at a time.

2 Likes

That all sounds great @mel :smiling_face: Are you able to share your method/recipe for the pulled pork/chicken and soups?

I’ve never eaten these Mexican foods before @momiemae, would you mind sharing your recipes? And how do you make a pot roast in the Instant Pot?

That would be wonderful if you could share those with me @kittykill x

Ooooh! How do you make hummus @Tanath?

I had to get two because I always seem to be making yogurt or quark in one and needed another one for rice, eggs, dinner, etc…

2 Likes

Hard core :stuck_out_tongue:

How do you make yoghurt in it @Fonduie?

I only made hummus twice, mostly as a learning experience with my daughter. I used the instant pot to cook the chickpeas, because it shortens the cooking time.
We’re spoiled here, with really good hummus easily available, so there isn’t much need to make my own. But it’s fun, and there’s the bonus of knowing exactly what’s in it. I still need to figure out good ratios of the other ingredients (lemon, tahini, salt…). My tries so far turned out ok, but not amazing.
I wrote a bit more about it here: Nerd Games - Summer 2020

1 Like

Here’s a good page about yogurt. It’s a little bit runny unless you strain in cheeesecloth. You need a little yogurt on hand as a starter. And it doesn’t work with ultra pasteurized milk.

2 Likes

@Tanath I made the spaghetti. I used rotini noodles as that’s all I had and meatballs I had made and frozen. Turned out well!

3 Likes

Glad to hear that. I’m always a bit nervous when I make it, will the pasta be cooked right? Will all the water be gone?
I think I had one time when the pasta was still a bit underdone, so I just set the pot the saute and cooked it for a few more minutes.

sure @PrincessP - when i make a pulled pork/chicken i typically slice an onion, if i have it…if i’m out of onions, i skip them…dump in the meat, dump some of your favourite bbq sauce on top (if the meat is thawed, i might add a bit of water so it doesnt burn, if its frozen, i dont as it thaws during cooking it will release moisture so its not necesssary) and set it to high pressue…depending on how much meat or if its frozen, i will start with 20-25 min of high pressure…let it go and usually do a natural release. if i am too impatient, i will do a manual release and shred the meat on the board…dump it back in the pot and saute if its not cooked enough/absorb any liquid until i am happy with the doneness/consistency.

when i make soups in it, i usually saute my onion/carrot/celery/random veg to get the flavours going, dump in any stock/spices/herbs…high pressure for about 4min…and either natural release or manual if i am in a hurry…if stuff isn’t cooked, back to saute setting until it is. THAT is why i love the ip - that saute function…you get a better (imo, obviously…haha) flavour profile than you might otherwise with just the straight up crockpot.
*ETA - oil for sauteeing your veg…maybe a couple of TBSP.

2 Likes

i also make a lot of chili in it. mostly veggie chili - our favourite veg chili right now is a sweet potato quinoa chili:

1 sm onion, diced
1-2 stalks chopped celery
chopped/minced/whatevered garlic
small-med sweet potato, diced
2 cans of beans (usually we will do 1 kidney, 1 black bean, or whatever is in the cupboard)
large can of diced tomatoes
1/2c. quinoa, rinsed
cumin
cayenne
salt and pepper.
*ETA - oil for sauteeing…maybe a couple of TBSP.

saute the chopped veg, dump in all the rest…add your spices to taste. high pressure 4 min…like every thing else i do, quick or natural release, depending on how close to eating cardboard you are. taste and adjust seasoning as necessary. we like to serve it with sour cream and shredded cheese. some days we will add in some leftover cooked chicken to this if its kicking around taking up valuable real estate in our fridge.

2 Likes

This showed up as part of my Daily Skimm today…thought it’d be appreciated here. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I finally made something other than boiled eggs in my Instant Pot, and it was delicious!

Low carb lemon chicken … (although I served it with rice so that negated the low-carb :see_no_evil:)

Nighttime photos are always hard to make food look good, but I can assure you it was soooo good. That sauce! :drooling_face:

The garlic and thyme were fresh from my garden :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

5 Likes

Awesome! I have yet to use mine. :see_no_evil:

1 Like

that looks good.

1 Like

Another instant pot win!

Even though it’s 34 degrees (93 F) at 7pm in the evening, we are in need of some really good chicken soup in our household at the moment. Today I googled some recipes and got this going when I got home from work.

It was the BEST chicken soup I’ve ever eaten :drooling_face::drooling_face: the flavour was so intense!

I love how the pressure cooker doesn’t heat up the kitchen (especially while it’s this warm). I’ll include the recipe below…

Set IP to ‘Sauté‘ mode
Add 2 tbsp butter, 2 large cloves of garlic, crushed, 1 onion, diced, 3 stalks of celery, diced and 2 carrots, diced. Sauté for 5 or so mins (I probably did longer) Next time I will use 4 celery stalks
Add in a handful of finely chopped fresh parsely, oregano and thyme (this is what I had in my garden)
Place in a whole chicken and 1 bay leaf
Add 4tsp salt and a good amount of cracked pepper
Fill up IP with water to just below the max fill line.
Set IP to ‘Soup’ mode and reduce time on the display to 25 mins.

It took about 20 mins to come up to pressure, then I let it de-pressurise naturally. I actually left it for an hour as I was tutoring online.

Once I opened it out, I completely stripped the chicken and diced I’m it up and added it back in to the pot. It made 9 delicious serves.

5 Stars :star: :star: :star: :star: :star:
Would definitely make again :ok_hand:t2:

3 Likes

Mmmmm. That looks amazing. I will definitely have to try!

1 Like

You definitely should, it made so much I’m even having to eat it for breakfast! :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I just made this (eating a bowl as I type this):

I didn’t add the pasta to the pot while cooking, as I had some already cooked pasta which I added to my bowl. Turned out yummy, already thinking of variations.
1 Like

Looks and sounds delicious! Thanks for sharing :smiley: