Instant regret-embroidery floss organization

I like mine visible but not creased/carded. Clear sewing bobbins (or bobbins stored on edge so that colors would show) or some other small spools might work for me, too. But could get expensive!

Hey! :bulb: Just had a thought. I have used bubble tea straws for a lot of unexpected uses. You could cut them into tiny “spools”, and could also cut a slit in the end to hold the tail, so the spool wouldn’t unwind. Maybe there would be a way to stack the spools on dowels (sorted by color) and plug the ends so the spools wouldn’t fall off. Might look pretty stored in a tall vase or jar. Hmmmmm… I may just have to try this!!!

3 Likes

I’ve done a similar thing on one of my embroidery projects. I used the card board straw/length holder thingies that they sometimes put in shoes. I got the idea from yarn nostepinnes. We also have a lot of random extra straws from things like camelback bottles that might work for this :face_with_monocle:

2 Likes

What I do is take the whole skein and loop it over in the hole…sort of like starting a macrame project? When you need a piece, you pull from the “knot”…

my biggest storage problem are the short pieces that still can be used…I do wrap those on cards…!

3 Likes

I use these baggies and put them in photo boxes from a craft store. Somewhere I had labels for each floss number, and it goes on the bag. When I need to pull floss for a project, I pull the whole bag, and connect all the bags with loose leaf binder rings.

1 Like

Those are cool! And cheap!

Okay, I played with my idea last night. Here is the result:

It works well for the smaller pieces, but not so well for the whole or almost-whole skeins. Maybe I’ll have to try a combination method: @AIMR’s for the whole skeins and the boba-straw-sticks-in-a-jar method for the smaller pieces.

4 Likes

I also experimented yesterday.
I designed and printed a floss spool that fits on my sewing machine bobbin winder.

IMG_20201114_100207_kindlephoto-1113420238

I filled it with crewel yarn; the pieces were only 18" long, so I had to fuss with it a lot.

Considering the time it took to print the spool and the amount of space a bunch of them would take up, it’s a fail for floss storage, but might work for something else.

Maybe create a boba tea straw adapter…

3 Likes

Clever idea for those small pieces! Sure would keep me from wasting so much thread when I just need a small piece…I am so good with yarn scraps but not with embroidery threads…I have some plastic tubing that I use for bobbin holders…bet that would work as well…off to find it in the garage!

2 Likes

I hate floss organizing. So I admire you for tackling it!

2 Likes

This system came to me from my gran and I’ve just kept it up. One year @Pigeon and I sorted it all into rainbow sequence after it had gotten a bit jumbled. I needed to add a box or 2 at that point. It’s stayed pretty organized since then.

If the thread is creased, I iron it quickly. I really like this system, easy to store & find colours.

11 Likes

That is so impressive! Love your stash!

I am trying hard not to buy another organizer box…I do have a limited palette of colors, but I have at least one in every family…plus, I dropped my box yesterday and little floss holders went everywhere…I was tempted to just throw them in a bag…once I work through all of my little pieces, I will reconsider…@magpie, I am impressed that you kept so many so neat and tidy! GOALS!

4 Likes

Glad I found this thread about floss! I was looking at storage systems online and one of the sites was saying that you should store your floss in a sunless space otherwise they might become discolored. Mine has been in a photo box because I haven’t needed specific colors until I started cross stitch with patterns. And now… yeah. I think I’m going to put mine in bags according to color group, similar to what I do with scraps of cardstock that are still a useful size, but would get lost with bigger pieces.
I saw a download for a DMC floss page where you can check off what you have, however I won’t always keep that with me unless I put it in my Google drive. So, that’s what is going to happen. I’m pretty sure I have duplicate colors at this point.

2 Likes

I’ve only encountered discoloured floss one time and that was some floss that was kept on display near a window in a shop for possibly many years - the labels were the old black DMC labels and I think we’ve had the lighter coloured labels for at least 20 years now. That was in a local shop, the owner was a kind man but he developed Korksakoff’s Syndrome and he was very forgetful about things like this. My floss is organized like @Magpie’s. I find little bobbins of floss in thrift stores quite often and this way they are easily added to the collection. I definitely have duplicates but I’ll use all of them up eventually.

2 Likes

Good to know. I do think the bobbin storage is neat, but the idea of winding all of that…:dizzy_face:

I do have some on bobbins, but not all. I think short run it will be easier if I stick all the blues together, etc, and then keep a log of what I have in my stash. For projects, I just keep that specific floss with me in a little fabric pouch along with needles and scissors. The scissors I use collapse into a cap so no worries about poking the pouch.

3 Likes

My husband and I went and bought every (normal solid) color of DMC and wound them around the little floss bobbins. We have 5 of those divided plastic boxes full and they are organized numerically. It was a pain to set up but completely worth it.

4 Likes

I used this method from the start, so I never really have to wind more than 5 or 10 new skeins at a time. 75% of the floss I buy in the thrift shop also comes on bobbins, so there are bobbin cards in many different handwritings in my stash.

I have them organized by number but I also have a DMC floss colour card (the one with real thread samples) so I can pick a nice colour on the card and then find it in my stash.

2 Likes

I went through my stash and found that most of it does not have the color sleeve on it. It was great for embroidery when I was making up colors as I went along, but not so great for cross-stitch where I want to follow the pattern without much deviation. I had seven of a certain color because I just kept buying it for each project, which was the Prairie Schooler Halloween patterns.

I was able to create a list in Google Drive that I can access from my phone when I go shopping. Nifty!

6 Likes

In that case I really recommend a floss card, so you can identify the colours you already own or find a suitable replacement for a colour you don’t own.

2 Likes

I found a floss winder 3D print design; it attaches a floss card (also 3D printable) to a sewing machine bobbin winder to save your wrists.

But I just keep the hanks, don’t rewind. I don’t use other peoples’ patterns, so just use whatever color feels good at the time.

2 Likes