It's calzone night!

My kids used to groan when I made homemade pizzas. But if you fold that pizza in half, suddenly it’s the food of the gods!

Mine has red and green bell peppers, onion, ground beef, cheddar and mozzarella, and Slap Ya Mama Cajun seasoning.

Recipe (made in my stand mixer with dough hook)
In this order, add:
1 1/2 c hot water
2 packets yeast (or 4.5 tsp)
2 tsp sugar
2 tsp salt
2 Tbsp your favorite oil, I use avocado
Start it up and slowly add 4 cups of flour. Once it forms a ball and pulls away from the sides of the bowl, smooth it out and pour more oil over it and the bowl, flop the ball around so it’s nice and greasy and so is the bowl. Pop it off the mixer and cover it. Put it in a warm place to rise for an hour or more.

Punch the dough down (show your kid, they’ll think it’s cool) and then - ok I’m a nerd and you def don’t have to do this. I weigh the ball on my kitchen scale. Divide by 5 because there’s 5 of us in the family (usually around 6-8 oz each). Take a bit away from the 11yo’s and add it to the husband’s. 11yo specifically requests 4 oz of dough :laughing:

Roll them out on a floured surface, add sauce and preferred toppings, fold over, and pinch the edges together. We usually fold the bottom edge up over the top and then press with a fork. Use the same fork to stab each person’s initial into their calzone and a few extra vent holes. Slather on egg wash and optionally sprinkle with garlic salt, parmesan, everything bagel seasoning, ranch powder, or whatever, or nothing. Bake at 425 F until browned. I have honestly never timed it. I just know when they are done.

16 Likes

This sounds really good, especially with the bagel seasoning on top. I never thought about that!

2 Likes

Love a calzone!

1 Like

Amazing! Sounds delicious and your recipe is funny too :sweat_smile:

1 Like

You’re making my mouth water!

1 Like

Yum! Not just calzones, but personal calzones!

1 Like

hilarious! I also weigh things too.
they look yummy!

1 Like

This looks amazing and makes me want calzone tonight. Also, what kind of kids groan about pizza?! :rofl:

The ones that want to order out all the time :rofl:
I can never get super fluffy crust like the restaurants. So it was pizza, but without any wow :pleading_face:

1 Like

So funny. The holy grail in this house is thin crust!

We should do calzones to switch things up more often. This is great!