Joslyn in Wonderland Bunting

My brother had a baby last year, and my sister-in-law requested a handmade gift. I finally got to deliver the gift when we visited them a couple weeks ago. :slight_smile:

My niece, Joslyn, has an Alice in Wonderland themed nursery. I was planning to make a mobile, but that didn’t quite come together. So, I decided to make her some name bunting instead with a couple larger flags that had characters embroidered on them from the book.

I drew up designs for the White Rabbit and Cheshire Cat, who feature on the swallowtail end flags.

I cut the letters and silhouttes of the characters from the felt I was going to use for the mobile, and stitched them onto the flags with simple backstitching or running stitches. I pretty much only sew by hand, and used a buttonhole stitch around the edges of the flags so that they don’t fray. I also crocheted the lace around the edges of the swallowtail flags, and made lightly stuffed hearts to compliment the flags - attached to the same ribbon that I fed through the gaps in the lace.

I’ve been meaning to make my own bunting for a while, but couldn’t decide on a design. It was a lot easier coming up with a design for my niece, I have to say.

23 Likes

Oooh, it is just darling!! What a beautiful addition to a nursery.

2 Likes

This is amazing! The crocheted edges just takes it to the next level. Beautiful keepsake!!!

2 Likes

Wow!! I’m in awe that you designed the rabbit and cat!! Every detail of this is lovingly crafted.

2 Likes

I love all your choices here- just beautiful! I hope it was as well received as it would be here in my house!

1 Like

Love the dangly hearts and the striped character-backdrop fabric! The postures of the characters are very fun as well. So sweet!

2 Likes

What a sweet and thoughtful gift! A treasure, for sure.

3 Likes

Truly you thought of every special detail! Just the rabbit and cat alone would have been awesome, but the hearts and the crochet edge really elevates the awesomeness!

Plus, I love that seersucker background fabric…so textured and perfect for a child.

2 Likes

Wow, wow, wow! This is incredible! It’s sweet, but not so sweet that she won’t enjoy it as she ages . Love the embroidery to create the characters. I think the crochet around the end flags really set it off. So pretty!

3 Likes

Spectacular! You crocheted that edge? Amazing

1 Like

Wow, so pretty! Is there anything you DON’T do well? LOL

1 Like

:love_letter: Woohoo! Your cool craft is one of this week’s Featured Projects! Congratulations! :sparkling_heart:

1 Like

What a gorgeous gift! Your drawing and stitching of the felt characters is outstanding!

1 Like

It is adorable! All the work that went into making it really shows… and, wow, crocheted your own lace?? I hope it is treasured forever. I really like your drawings, too!

1 Like