Knitted Trilobite

Well you tell her thank you, ;-).

1 Like

Welp, this type of yarn doesn’t work too well…However, I could see a moderate modification and turn this into a throw pillow pattern, heh.

2 Likes

Great job! I’ve was trying to find a trilobite fossil all summer but mostly just found crinoid stems and bracciopods. Still good but I want a gorgeous trilobite specimen!!! Your trilobite is awesome.

2 Likes

Gah! I’d love to go fossil hunting. I’m in too much pain to hike, but maybe some day I’ll get lucky and hit the trails again, :smile:.

2 Likes

These are really cool!

1 Like

We live in a spot that was an ancient ocean so we go to a beach nearby that just has fossils laying all over the place. It’s fun. :slight_smile: we also look for lake superior agates.

2 Likes

Very cool! My dad was a geologist and he had a fossil collection that included some trilobites. Trilobites rock! (I guess literally, since fossils are rocks! Teehee!)

2 Likes

Where do you go fossil hunting? For my daughter’s 4th birthday a few years ago we hired a geologist to take us fossil hunting on the northern Oregon coast and found some great clam fossils, and some various snail, mussel and shell fossils but that’s about all that I know of to find in Oregon (I think there are plant fossils in fossil Oregon as well).

1 Like

Great job!

Oh HECK yes! I’m all about fossils!!! We regularly go out for shark teeth and ray plates, and I can’t wait to make a trip out to GA to hunt some trilobites. This is seriously great!!!

1 Like

I’m still really new to it but I live in Minnesota and we go to St Paul usually along the Mississippi river. If there’s bluffs and there was a good ancient ocean area around, you can find fossils. My favorite find is a teeeny tiny fish. Lol. I can’t find a pic and I don’t wanna go find it right now but I found a quick pic of some "fossil soup " I found. Its pieces of crinoid stem and coral and bracciopods. I love the detail on the crinoids.

2 Likes

There’s this place my family called Slate Cut here in SouthWestern Kansas. We used to go fossil hunting there often. Found sharks teeth, and the last time I was there in 88, I had found two flattened vertebrae of I think Xiphactinus. A rich ranch family were buying up land and had purchased it and…

Anyway, just before I got so sore I had to quit driving, one of my last hikes was around an old tiny lake my Grandpa and my family used to fish at. It was severely dried out at that time, 2017, I believe. Well, while walking around it I found about a 5 inch ammonite fossil in a chunk of rock about 4 by 4 feet and about 4 inches thick. There was no way I could have gotten it out, but if I could have I would have had that. Oh, how I miss traveling.

3 Likes

I actually like the thick yarn on the red one. Sure, the details aren’t as defined as they are on the other one but I can still tell what it’s supposed to be and that yarn gives the finished trilobite a great ‘cuddly plushie’ quality (like those giant microbe plush, what they’re based on isn’t meant to be cute and cuddly but when you make it into a fluffy plushie it kinda is :grin:).

1 Like

Hmm! I don’t know how I’m going to pull this off (I’m a tad (overly) impatient when it comes to sewing things up), but I bet doing a V shape will give it a nice rib, and maybe that will give it an extra transition from mid body to side…fins? Wings? Whatever the sides of a trilobite are called, heh.

Update: I tried this and it didn’t work. Some stitches hid, and with my poor sewing, it just didn’t work. :(.

I should just give up sewing them and tell people “you do it”, heh.

2 Likes

This looks like a strawberry with a moustache and I kind of love it!

1 Like

And final update til I get the pattern finished. I now have enough for taking pictures, and it turns out my original method of using the dpn needles as guides when sewing it together really helps. So I will definitely have to add that to the pattern.

3 Likes

I followed your wonderful pattern (thank you for sharing!) and made this little guy for my kiddos

1 Like

Until I find a home for this…Here is a pattern for a mini trilobite…

Mini Trilobite Pattern

Abbreviations:

• K# _____ Knitt # of stitches.
  • P# _____ Purl # of stitches.
  • kfb ____ Knit front and back.
  • K2tog __ Knit 2 together
  • S# _____ Slip # of stitches purlwise wrapping yarn to front and back with each slipped stitch.
  • S#woy __ Slip # of stitches purlwise without wrapping yarn to front and back with each slipped stitch
  • Bo# ____ Bind off knitwise # of stitches. The number of stitches being worked on is #+1 with 1 stitch remaining.
  • Bo#p ___ Bind off purlwise # of stitches.
  • Bo#pwt _ Bind off purlwise # of stitches with cast on tail
  • tb, tf _ Move cast on tail to back, move cast on tail to front
  • m1 _____ Make 1 stitch

Pattern:

______________________________________Body

Cast on 6 sts. Separate onto three double point needles

1. kfb around
  2. K*
  3. kfb K2 m1 K2 kfb K2 kfb kfb K2
  4. P9 K8
  5. kfb K7 kfb K3 kfb kfb K3
  6. P4 K3 P4 K10
  7. K*

Repeat rows 6 through 9 two more times.

1. P4 K3 P4 K10
  2. K2tog K7 K2tog K3 K2tog K2tog K3
  3. P9 K8
  4. K*
  5. P3 K3 P3 K8
  6. K2tog K5 K2tog K2 K2tog K2tog K2
  7. P7 K6
  8. K2tog K3 K2tog K1 K2tog Ktog K1
  9. P5 K4
  10. K2tog K1 K2tog K2tog K2tog

Bind off by pulling yarn through remaining stitches.

______________________________________Head

Cast on 30 stitches using the knit cast on method. Be sure to leave a little extra tail with the slip knot as this will be used for the first few stitches on row 2.

1. Bo2 K24 S3woy
  2. Bo2pwt tb Bo1p tf Bo1p K2 ( K2tog K2 )2 ( K2 K2tog )2 K2 S3
  3. Bo2 P*
  4. Bo1 K1 ( K2tog K1 )2 ( K1 K2tog )2 K1 S2
  5. Bo1p S2 P7 turn work around
  6. S2 K4 S4
  7. Bo1p P8 S2
  8. Bo1 K2tog K2tog K2tog K2tog S1

Bind off.

Using two tapestry needles or very small double point needles, insert them into the bottom of the trilobite at equal distances and stitches on each side towards the mid section. And use that as a guide to sew up the lobes of the trilobite, tightening as you go.

When finished, sew on the head centered on the top of the body with the back aligning with the second or first mid rib in the middle of the body.

Hmm! Me thinks I’ll need to add a few images…maybe a helpful video…or something…Might seem a wee confusing. Plus, kids are moving back home, so I’m kind of preoccupied at the moment.

Update: Jan 4, 2021

Here’s a couple images showing how I find the locations to sew the lobes.

1 Like

Finally got the big one done…enough. Boy, I just do not have the patience to sew. O_o.