Knitting Double Cast On

First attempt, and not very good, but better than I thought it’d come out.

Double Cast On Technique

As I don’t know when I’ll be able to improve it, I’ll just edit and change this when I can.

3 Likes

Looks complicated and definitely tricky. I liked your impromptu Elvis. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

The small ones really aren’t that hard (it looks hard in the video because I was just not in the zone, heh). However, this one I’m working on at 60:120 stitches. Yikes!

Though, to be fair, this is the first time attempting it on circular needles, and I cast on tight, O_o. Other than having to do the second cast on in the magic round, it’s not terribly slow. I clocked myself at 17 minutes for the second cast on alone (120 stitches), and taking the other issues into account, I’m guessing I could speed it up between 15 and 12 minutes. So if I added the time for sewing the seams, rather than doing it this way (at least for a poor sewer like me, heh), I’d wager this is much faster.

But by Apollo’s armpit hair, it does make an awesome seam. Even the backside seam looks great.

Update:

Switched to my Takumi needles, and it still took 17 minutes. Though, I think because the length of these needles are shorter than the Knitpick ones, I couldn’t get as many stitches on before having to pull the cable through. Plus, I still had to fight with every stitch (as I cast on so tightly: even using a size up needle to start with).

For the rest of the knitting, though, it’s not bad at all, and the Takumi needles are much much easier. So even with that, I still think this is faster than having to sewing the seam up if I were to go that route.