Late Spring Garden

Your garden looks amazing! So well organized. It’s dreamy.

1 Like

Do you have room for pots? Here is an old photo of our back deck before we put our garden in.

6 Likes

Your garden looks amazing my friend! You put my pots of herbs and peppers to shame. Well done. :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Wow!! The issue is the sun exposure. We have a small yard and only the far corner gets sun all day. Our neighbors just to the west have two massive trees that shade our yard from about 5 p.m. on… We hope to move out to some acreage in several years. I will go to town then. :grin:

3 Likes

I used swathes of tulle over our blueberry bushes last year and it worked great! In previous years, we had used so-called bird netting, but I hated that stuff. Animals would get caught in it and I didn’t want to harm the wildlife, just keep them out of my blueberries! We also put tulle over our strawberries this year because last year I only got one between the snacking birds and rabbits!

2 Likes

Your garden is gangbusters already! I’m also in a zone 7 (supposedly), but since we were still getting frosts through April, I didn’t plant until Mother’s Day. Things are coming up, but not nearly as big and wonderful as yours are yet!

1 Like

That’s good to hear! I’m happy to have it verified by another source :slight_smile: And yes, having the holes in the fabric be so tiny means that critters won’t get hung up in it, which is great.

I might be hitting the store tomorrow to get some potting soil so I can plant up a bunch of stuff. I have tomatoes & jalapenos started, plus some other seeds. It might be a bit late, but it’ll be neat to see what I do get.

2 Likes

Yeah, I hated seeing panicked sparrows flying around underneath it. The final straw was when I had to free a tangled mouse (who bit me for my trouble, little ingrate). We clip the tulle up with clothespins.

Gardening is always kind of a gamble, so go ahead and try! You never know what’s going to come up. And maybe if things are going well towards the end of the season, you can fashion a hoop house to help keep plants warm and dry. I did one out of PVC and a clear plastic tarp one year.

2 Likes

I am going to add tulle to my shopping list!

2 Likes

We had late frosts here, too. Our little seedlings were covered for about 5 days with plastic sheeting and little plastic containers waiting for that crazy cold weather to finally go away.

1 Like

I got mine on eBay- I can message you the info.

Thank you!

I should probably make sure I have all that on hand for next spring!