Let’s Stitch Along to the End of Time!

Omg I love it!

1 Like

So cute! The wonky frames are such an adorable touch. Is that sweet tea Ms Kitty? Better watch out for that bee!

2 Likes

So…I’ve never lived where Autumn is a big deal*, with trees dramatically changing color, and the nip of snow in the air. I usually notice a change in the light, but that’s hard to capture in embroidery.

But we were camping when the theme was announced, and there were squirrels and oak trees (leaves still green, I googled for color ideas), so I went for it.

The squirrel (which appears to have some rat in its ancestry; oooh, maybe I should have given him Scrat fangs) is stitched in fuzzy crewel yarns. The acorn is cotton embroidery thread, and, well, I didn’t want to stitch the leaves, so I drew them in colored pencil.

a friend was a teacher in Hawaii; he said a standardized test asked, “What season do the leaves turn red?” Student replied, “Mango season!” (New mango leaves are red.)

10 Likes

These autumnal stitches are so inspiring!!

@AIMR the cat is so cool! You did a beautiful job with your lovely stitching and colours!

@steiconi the texture and colour in the squirrel fur is fabulous! I love how you coloured the leaves so delicately!

Even though it’s Spring here, I feel like I need to go dig out some russet and gold and bronze threads … :fallen_leaf: :maple_leaf:

4 Likes

I can’t imagine living somewhere without four distinct seasons! Autumn is late here. Some years by mid-September there’s a real autumn vibe but right now it still feels like summer, even though the days are getting very short. We’ve had autumn weather all summer so maybe that’s why, there’s no big drop in temperature.

2 Likes

We get four seasons. Hot spring, super hot summer, hot autumn (it’s103°F today), and chilly winter, with occasional snow.

5 Likes

In my country, the hottest day this year was 87F… I’m not sure if my body would be able to cope with your climate, I’ve never been anywhere that warm.

1 Like

I don’t think I could stand the cold! We pretty much range between 40-87 F, with a few super hot days…we do get a lot of rain, but it is short and then turns sunny because of the ocean winds. I don’t even wear a winter coat unless I visit up North…no snow normally…here it is September and it is 84 degrees and nice out! lol We wear white after Labor Day…

4 Likes

Oh a perfect little tree dweller!!! So cute!

I do sometimes miss the real changing seasons of the northern middle USA, especially autumn, but the Pacific Northwest(usually not too hot) summers make up for not having leaf piles to jump into. (Leaf piles still exist out here but you do not want to jump into them! GIANT SLUGS)

4 Likes

Beautiful thread texture!

1 Like

I just love your stitching pieces, @steiconi ! They are so textural and unusual…the leaves are a nice back drop for the wild crazy squirrel!

2 Likes

Our schools also teach about the 6 local indigenous seasons. The current season is Djilba and apart from the weather markers, is when the yellow flowers come out. Seems.more.appropriate than just reversing the European seasons.

11 Likes

That’s so cool!

I had never heard of those 6 indigenous seasons! But I looked them up, I learn something new every day on LettuceCraft!

1 Like

That’s awesome @mellybelly81 :grinning: I enjoyed reading some more about that too.

I feel similarly about all the northern hemisphere festivals we celebrate here (Christmas, New Year) - it’s great to celebrate them, but all the winter seasonal stuff associated with them doesn’t make any sense - the candles and sparkly stuff, traditional wintery food, etc.

In Aotearoa we are getting a new public holiday next year for Matariki / Māori New Year in June/July. It’s related to Māori astronomical knowledge and the reappearance of the stars of Matariki (Pleiades) as a marker of the seasons and year. It’s so cool to see traditional knowledge getting more recognition and respect.

9 Likes

Yes! I love that!

1 Like

Here’s my entry for the Autumn theme …

I adapted it from a pattern in a vintage Anna magazine. In my household, it’s always the right season for wine :wine_glass: :sparkles:

13 Likes

Okole meluna!

2 Likes

I approve of the wine theme!

2 Likes

Love all the different takes on fall! The kitty is adorable, the texture of the squirrel, the colors of the wine cross stitch-all so excellent .

Here is my entry. A little field mouse with her acorn. She is ready to make a little acorn soup and snuggle in with a good book. Yes…I did make up an entire story around this.

14 Likes