Magpie's Scrappy Bead Class SU: 9/11-9/22 Class on 9/25

You know, I did one with ribbon & one with beads and… I didn’t like them half as much! I love scraps lol. They are the literal best.

2 Likes

That was a great class, I really enjoyed it. Very relaxing x

1 Like

Thank you so much @Magpie! It was a great class. Thanks to everyone who signed up. I can’t wait to see all the awesome beads you created.

I will be sending out a link to the recording to everyone (all that attended the class and those who couldn’t make it). It may take a little while (later today or tomorrow morning)-it is in the process of “processing” the recording.

5 Likes

So awesome seeing everybody! Thank you all so much for attending, I just loved it :slight_smile: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
Here’s my giant demo bead

10 Likes

This class was so much fun, great stashbuster! Here is my first (of many to come)scrappy beads!

XO
A

13 Likes

Here’s my bead! I went and added some French knots to it after it was finished (which was not easy to do while keeping the bead from sliding around on the pencil!).

Thanks for such a fun class! My microphone wasn’t working, so I couldn’t comment on anything, but I enjoyed it!

15 Likes

Here’s my bead from today! I also added French knots after the fact so my inside isn’t nice and smooth but I know better for next time!

Thank you @Magpie and @kittykill for making this possible. So fun.

16 Likes

Beautiful! I love how different they all are with placement of scraps & stitches, as well as the variety of stitches. Knots can be added when the bead is still flat to make it easier. Try using a split strand for those & pull them tight to the fabric, it will keep them proportional to the small size of the bead. Unless you want them larger, no rules! And a tidy inside is totally unnecessary, it’s optional like all the other fussy finishing steps. Those are nice to have in your repertoire for when you feel like using them but honestly, you could knot on the outside & leave dangly thread ends & it would probably look really great!

1 Like

Oh no … I completely forgot about this class :cry::cry:

Our plans last weekend to babysit our oldest grand daughter got changed to today so we were out picnicking with her when I was supposed to be here.

So sorry I forgot but I’m going to watch later.

1 Like

I just sent out a link to the recording. If for some reason it doesn’t work for you or there are any other issues, please let me know.

4 Likes

Here are the two I made…definitely need to work on the ends…they are quite lumpy! But, I love them!

14 Likes

Thank you for sending the link! LittleBookLover had a rough night and I forgot all about the class today until I saw the link in my email. I love seeing all the beads everyone has already made and I’m looking forward to checking out the video!

3 Likes

I think they look wonderful, they are each like little treasures in their uniqueness.

I just watched the video and you all look and sound like you’re having a fun time and are confident in making your beads, that was so great to see. The instructions seem pretty clear but please voice any questions you may have about anything at all.

I loved this. Any time I can participate again as a teacher or as a student I’m going to get in there. Such a great time :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

I am soooo looking forward to a quiet moment to sit down and watch the video! :heart: I’m enjoying seeing everyone’s beads :kissing_heart:

1 Like

I loved that you seemed very at ease with instructing us. I felt having advance instructions helped me be prepared, but the live video shows all of those hidden tricks and tips that are never that clear to me unless I see it! I have been doing my own version of “hiding knots”, so seeing a simpler, more professional version was fantastic!

I also was so intent in making these that I didn’t get too involved in what others were doing, but I was comfortable knowing that everyone in the class was supportive and working on their own beads!

I was glad you repeated some steps without being asked…sometimes I get a bit shy of asking for directions again.

The only thing I did not like about the class was now, I have one more thing to get addicted to…lol.

Great job…short, sweet, too the point, cheap, and creative.

5 Likes

It was a really good class @Magpie you’re a good instructor, it was well thought out and your pdf it’s really good.
These were my two beads from our session. I couldn’t resist putting beads on needs. The only thing I struggled with was pulling the thread through the fabric at times. I think I had the wrong needle.

If you ever wanted to teach another class, I’d love you to teach one on hand sewing techniques, like some of the ones you showed us. But also things like selecting the correct needle etc

11 Likes

I love how nicely your beads coordinate! I was thinking of adding beads, but didn’t dig any out. The French knots filled that niche nicely for me :slight_smile:

I had the tiniest needle for the regular thread, and then a giant needle for the embroidery floss, so I agree that a class on hand sewing techniques could be helpful! Basic sewing techniques are getting lost, and it would be wonderful to brush up on some of those skills from my HS sewing classes (I took sewing instead of Latin…and while I didn’t graduate #1 because of it, I find that it’s a much handier skill to have now :slight_smile: Although Latin would have helped in college…).

And, @Magpie, you did a great job with your instruction! I got a little stressed early on because I was having trouble with my thread (and a millisecond before you gave us the tip about keeping the floss from knotting, mine knotted :laughing: ), but I just made sure to watch when you were giving pointers, and then I just kept on keeping on. I finished my bead right when the class ended!

I need to dig out my bead from the Asheville class. I was fussy with my embroidery on that one!

1 Like

Thank you all for the feedback, I truly appreciate your insights.
-I find repetition so helpful for remembering things and I thought some of you may have been looking at your work when I demo-ed a step or two so I’m pleased to hear that the repeating was useful. I know watching the video back I missed several faces when people commented because I was looking at my hands! So happy being able to watch it all again.
-Sometimes my thread knots no matter how careful I am. I could have also shown how after a few whip stitches around the ends I hold the bead and let the threaded needle dangle to unwind so it’s less twisty.
-I have a hard time pulling the needle through layers depending on the fabric, my fingers get sore after a while too. In both cases, I use rubber nosed pliers to push/pull the needle. A thimble can be handy to push as well though it takes getting used to stitching while wearing one. The ring finger of the needle holding hand is best for me.

@Edel, you sound like you had quite rigorous sewing instruction in school, I’ll bet you could teach us all a thing or two! Maybe a topic started with links to specifically good tutorials and videos is an idea. Basics like which needle, which type or brand of thread, what sewing machine feet do, etc. I think it was @MareMare who I first learned of using plain old ordinary glue stick for tacking down applique before stitching. I’ve been using that trick ever since, it’s been YEARS!

2 Likes

I use glue to hold the paper onto my hexies, hold down the folds of tiny hexies, and all sorts of sewing. I don’t have enough hands to hold everything in a good way! I also use bees wax on my threads to keep them smooth and not tangle as much, but I still get knots sometimes…plus, I know I thread a much longer strand because I hate threading needles with my poor eyesight! I wear my special goggles, but not in zoom! lol

I am still watching Star Trek before Netflix pulls it from their network, so I made two more beads!

I did the blanket stitch on the dark purple one…I really like it because I am comfortable with that stitch but it does make for a less rigid edge…practice, practice, practice.

11 Likes

I agree @Magpie was an excellent instructor. Loved all the “insider” tips and tricks. Really elevated the class beyond just making fabric beads. I feel bad for whoever has to follow that act. :sweat_smile:

3 Likes