Mask-Along

I really love your fabrics. :heart::heart::heart:

1 Like

Thanks! It is nice to be able to find a use for those mostly-too-small remnants of a loved print, isn’t it?

1 Like

I have been asked to make more masks…people are bored or tired of theirs, and I get it…I know I use the same one over and over even though I have more…you pick the most comfortable in the end…I will work on these today…hubby will be watching the Superbowl, so might as well…

1 Like

I’m still making masks. I’ve really come to find it relaxing. I’m doing a single market 2x a month so I make up batches for my show. They’re still selling consistently at my market too.

This was my show two days ago. You can see my mask display on the right side.

I’ve narrowed my offerings down to two styles; the standard pleated and a seamless 3d one. They sell pretty equally well for me. I’ve really come to like the seamless pleated and it’s the one I personally wear most of the time.

I even had to make myself a custom Tree of Life mask. Because, well, ya know! :smile:

7 Likes

Very nice, do you have a pattern or link for the seamless 3d one?

2 Likes

Nice! Love the tree of life one! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

I bought two masks, but it fits weird so I might have to do a bit of surgery to it. Biggest problem is the lack of nose wire…

A trick I’ve found that helps with the fit of the pleated masks that have no nose wire is before you put the mask on, make about a 1" vertical crease in the middle of the top edge of the mask (basically along where the bridge of your nose will go). I just put this fold in using my fingernail to really press it in but you could also iron it.

1 Like

If a pleated mask doesn’t have a nose wire built in, you can get some grosgrain ribbon and cut a piece about 4" or so and find the center of the mask on the interior side and sew along all three sides leaving one side open to slide in an aluminum nose wire.

Here’s a poor quality, quickie drawing to show what I mean:
mask-nose-slip

Early on, I did this for masks and found the grosgrain worked great. I think I used about 5/8th size and I just used pinking sheers on the exposed side and then gave it a quick scorch with a flame to melt the edge and prevent any unraveling. It had the added bonus of being able to replace the aluminum nose wire if you used it too much and it broke.

4 Likes

I just officially passed 900 masks. I keep thinking people don’t want them any more, but my friend says they wait for them and snatch them up. So I’ll keep sewing away. I have slowed down on production, too many other projects.

4 Likes

You gotta make it to 1000 at this point! :astonished:

2 Likes

Is it like paper cranes, you get a wish after making that many? Wish to not have to make more masks! Lol

4 Likes

I hope people realize that even with being vaccinated, you still have to wear masks to protect others. I can still get COVID and be asymptomatic …I probably won’t die, but others might…and it takes up to six months to develop antibodies!

We should be wearing masks for some time still…a pain, but worth it to not die and stop the spread!

I am mask making today…

@marionberries – you are incredible…I am in awe of your generosity of time and materials…do you need some fabrics? I have lots of fat quarters if you would like them…

3 Likes

I gonna give it a good try.

2 Likes

What a great thing you make here! I have made a couple of masks for myself and friends, and I do have some in progress.
But this makes me wanna make some more, in beautiful fabrics!

2 Likes

We would love to see the masks you made! :slightly_smiling_face:

I made these for a special lady that always thinks of others and never herself. They are all from Magpie’s pattern. She and her son both really love her pattern. They say it is super comfortable. :heart:

6 Likes

Great batch! I’m sure they were appreciated!

1 Like

Great idea to make a neutral batch…I especially like the gingham one…what a wonderful gesture…you are continuing the circle of kindness towards others… :heart:

1 Like

I delivered the batch of masks above and persuaded her to let me make her more. She would like summery flip flop fabric. Does anyone have some? I would love to swap you for it. :slight_smile: