Completed - Masterboard Swap ~ Send by August 17

Iā€™ve got one done and another in progress. The second one could be done but Iā€™m not in love with it so I think it needs more of something but Iā€™m not sure what.

Any tips for how to add ā€œmoreā€ to a masterboard that feels like it should be done (stenciling, marks, and spatters added) but still feels like itā€™s missing something?

Stamps, scribbles, dots, script. Dip a bank card edge in paint & make cross hatch marks here & there. More splatters, black, white, red, metallic.

2 Likes

I was in this boat on the one Iā€™m calling done ā€“ Iā€™d prevoiusly thought it was finished and then came to hate it. My solution was another round of a thing Iā€™d already done but in a different color, and it made a world of difference. I think; I may hate it again by Monday :laughing:.

2 Likes

Reminder for sending, everyone remember to message me and your partner(s) when you send and receive! Thatā€™s the best way for me to keep track because I kinda turn off ā€œorganization modeā€ when itā€™s just in the swap thread :upside_down_face: thank you! :kissing_heart:

I might be done with the masterboards. Not completely convinced both partners will love them though so I might try to make another oneā€¦ Tomorrow Iā€™ll do more stalking to plan my small items :slight_smile:

Just tape another one to an edge to make it bigger? :rofl: Good luck! :grin:

I struggle with this tooā€¦ often when I add more to ā€œfinishā€ one I regret it immediately and wish I had left it as it was :stuck_out_tongue: So something very minimal is usually best. I echo @Magpieā€™s and @megwellā€™s suggestions :slight_smile: You could also use a sharpie or thin paintbrush to add some lines/tracing/outlining/etc

4 Likes

Thatā€™s what Iā€™m afraid of. Iā€™ve been holding up pieces of paper to mask it and envision it in smaller pieces and I think it might actually be ok. I might just be reacting to the colors being a bit outside of my norm coupled with the fact that I havenā€™t made many masterboards before.

Luckily I still have a couple more weeks to play/fret about it :slight_smile:

3 Likes

We have a gallery :partying_face: :partying_face: :partying_face:

6 Likes

Made a second one; gonna start the third soon!

2 Likes

Just remember that they are really just bases to be used for a start for other things!

I have received a lot of master boards that would not stand on their own but as backgrounds, they were magic and perfect! I canā€™t wait to see the galleryā€¦hope there is another round in the fall!

5 Likes

Wheeee I got into a groove and finished everything today! Itā€™s all ready to go out in tomorrowā€™s mail! :slight_smile:

7 Likes

woohoo! you go, girl!

1 Like

I think Iā€™m mostly done tinkering with masterboards, but I donā€™t think Iā€™m going to get to the small item crafting until after weā€™re back from camping for a long weekend.

2 Likes

Time for a check-in :grin: If you havenā€™t posted anything recently please let us know youā€™re still active :wink:

Hereā€™s an optional check-in question: Whatā€™s one of your favorite things to do when youā€™re making a masterboard?

2 Likes

I really like tearing book pages into strips/pieces, especially foreign language pages.

5 Likes

I am having fun with many layers of stencils.

3 Likes

I enjoyed making various stamps out of household objects! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

My boards are done, and Iā€™m hoping to work on the small tonight.

I agree with @roler about turning random stuff into stamps/mark-makers. I also like the effect of dry brushing.

4 Likes

Stamping on tissue paper and glueing the stamped pieces randomly!

4 Likes

Iā€™m glad I asked! You guys are giving me new ideas :heart:

Using ALL of the supplies. I seem to start off with a small batch of items and by the end I have everything out.

1 Like

Iā€™m still learning and I think Iā€™m missing stamps in my mess. At least, I think I would benefit in my mind from them!!

I love the paint splatting, I think it feels free-ing, like being a child that was allowed to do stuff but then got told to stop and grow up!

We give such contradictory messages to kids, itā€™s weird. Like aeroplanes with food, essentially just playing with food, but then as you get older youā€™re not allowed to play with food.

4 Likes