Mend and maintain for a sustainable 2020

I failed! But I did pull weeds from the front yard, so I don’t have to do it tomorrow when it’s going to be a lot hotter than today. Tomorrow I will no longer find excuses :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

I did the old coverup. Picnics are fun but last year I came home with a stain smack dab in the front. One of my favorite tank tops. Ditch or relegate to yard work clothes.
NO! Cover up!
I did a mini crazy quilt piece and stitched to the front…now it’s my favorite again.

23 Likes

This looks really nice! No one would ever guess you did this just to hide a simple stain.

1 Like

I agree, that’s so pretty! Another genius in our midst!

2 Likes

Love it!!!

2 Likes

I did my chores yesterday! I shortened the lining of a skirt, took in another skirt and dress and also fixed the elastic of three pairs of underwear. Then I celebrated the disappearance of the mending pile by doing some laundry and then this happened:

This was the first time I had worn these socks and the thread broke in two places in the washing machine. I think I know what happened. In our first apartment we had mice and at some point they had found my yarn stash. I threw away anything that looked damaged or smelled like mice. The purple yarn was in a part of the drawer that looked untouched and it didn’t smell like mice either so I kept it. I didn’t notice anything while knitting but I think a mouse still took a few bites and damaged the yarn. I’ll darn this and hopefully that’s going to be it.

6 Likes

I seem to have misplaced it already :disappointed: , but I think it was about 2 inches across.

Such a clever solution for a stain. I will have to re-think my damaged pile.

This may not be mend, but I did finally hem some curtains that had been drooping over things. The cats have made a mess of them and I did consider it a foolish thing to do…hem snagged curtains…but then I said “what the heck, we have cats, snagged curtains are a cat fashion statement!”

Even made tie backs…I still have to install the hooks for them, the old ones broke off, but I’m closer!

6 Likes

lol I agree…I have cats so my curtains get snagged and ugly…I patch them up and when they get too bad, I recycle the fabric…nice save!

Glad the sock can be saved…@immaculata…it is fabulous and so pretty!

2 Likes

Has anyone else been doing any mending lately? It’s gotten a leetle quiet over here! I’ve sewn up holes in a few of the kids’ stuffed animals. No pictures because 1) I didn’t think of it and 2) it’s not that exciting. I have some mending decisions to make: I have one nightgown (that I don’t really like) that the button fell off. Do I sew on the button or scrap the whole thing and turn it into something else? I have another nightgown that is so soft, but it looks pretty ratty and I’m reluctant to scrap it, but I think that’s probably the best course. Boo.

3 Likes

If you don’t like the nightgown but can repurpose it, I’d throw it in the scrap bag. And then treat yourself to two nice and good quality new nightgowns that will last for a long time (or sew them yourself!).

I haven’t done any mending recently, the pile is growing and I just set up the machine to finish up a quilt and attack the mending pile. I put the machine away like 3 weeks ago and somehow it always feels like soooo much work to pull it out again (which is of course nog true at all). That’s why I usually just leave it on the table!

2 Likes

I’ve not been doing much, but the other day I found the mending mushroom I had misplaced! I knew what project bag it was in, but I wasn’t sure where it was after the move.

There are a fair number of clothes in my mending pile and I’ve realised my sandals are looking a bit worse for wear. They could use some maintanence before something breaks.

2 Likes

There’s still time to accept the July challenge!

1 Like

Ugh, I am approximately a million years (pandemic time) behind on posting, but I have sashiko-patched three pairs of summer capris where the inner leg fabric was ripping out, and made four pairs of my child’s long leggings w/ holes in the knees into short ruffly leggings.

3 Likes

I have done zero mending. Prob the most sustainable thing I’ve done lately is turn old tees into t-shirt yarn. Definitely the opposite of mending though!

4 Likes

I bought four new pairs of jeans and as usual I had to shorten them.
So glad to finally have six pairs of well fitting jeans, besides the huge pile from before my massive weight loss.

5 Likes

I tackled most of the mending today. Only one sock left to darn. One thing I did was fix a few pairs of underwear. People sometimes think I’m a frugal freak for mending those but most of the time they only need a few stitches to extend their life by quite some time - most of the time the elastic or the seam is coming undone and that’s such an easy fix.

3 Likes

I didn’t mend so much as alter. A pair of shorts that had a baggy bottom and a shirt that lived up to it’s XL claim by being enormous. I guess it counts, otherwise they would just sit there unworn and unloved.

4 Likes

I think that certainly counts! I really don’t like altering but it’s absolutely worth the effort.

2 Likes