Merskelly...now with border and fringe!

a mere 19 months after “finishing” this stitch, I finally figured out how to mount and hang it! my new favorite technique, fabric collage.

border piecing

stick dangle with glass fish (an earring up until an hour ago)

fringe detail. The big monkey’s paw beads were a little too pale blue, so I tinted them with watered down craft paint. I drilled the holes out on two to fit on the hanging dowel!

hmmm, where did all that loose thread come from?

And back to the original post, with much better pictures (I should start using my camera again, instead of the phone):

I loved mermaids long before Disney co-opted the breed, but my tastes are a little darker these days.

I drew from human and fish skeletons for the bones, which stitched up pretty quickly.

I paint-dyed muslin for the backing.
Her hair is a variegated flat yarn I found at a thrift store; it heavily influenced the color scheme.
The kelp is silk ribbons, and I added bead bubbles to break up blank spaces.

As usual, I’m stuck when it comes to finishing and mounting. I wonder if there are YouTubes about that…

17 Likes

It is breathtaking!

2 Likes

The bones and the eel and the hair, oh my. Lovely. Frame it, or stretch around a board and hang with no border. Or a pillow!

2 Likes

This is so very lovely! :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Very unique and cool!

2 Likes

All kinds of awesome!

2 Likes

Thanks, y’all!

1 Like

You make me want to learn to embroider! This is incredible. I absolutely love it. It’s beyond!

1 Like

This is AMAZING! I love your use of ribbons and yarns to add more texture. The bead bubbles are perfect, and your skeleton is fantastic.

1 Like

She’s hauntingly lovely! I really love all the dimension and texture you get with the variety of fibers and added beads.

1 Like

This is gorgeous!

1 Like

So pretty. I love how the coral pops at the bottom and the way the hair lays. Very cool!

1 Like

Ohhhh! Merskelly! I get it now. That thing is so detailed- bet it must have taken forever! You could put it in a frame encrusted with shells.

1 Like

Ooh, shells!

It didn’t take long at all. The skeleton took maybe 4-5 hours, the rest a couple more hours.

I’m with Marrionberries. Do frame it but make the frame out of textiles, too! I am soooh madly loving this!

1 Like

This makes my hear pitter-pat. For real. It makes me want to try to do something of my own. I love all the different fiber bits. And the eel??? swimming through her? Yaaaasssss!!!

1 Like

you were absolutely right!

This just takes my breath away. The stitching is STUNNING and the scrapiness and bead trim complement this underwater beauty perfectly. I want her!!! :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

1 Like