Merskelly with eel

I loved mermaids long before Disney co-opted the breed, but my tastes are a little darker these days.

I drew from human and fish skeletons for the bones, which stitched up pretty quickly.

I paint-dyed muslin for the backing.
Her hair is a variegated flat yarn I found at a thrift store; it heavily influenced the color scheme.
The kelp is silk ribbons, and I added bead bubbles to break up blank spaces.

As usual, I’m stuck when it comes to finishing and mounting. I wonder if there are YouTubes about that…

16 Likes

It is breathtaking!

2 Likes

The bones and the eel and the hair, oh my. Lovely. Frame it, or stretch around a board and hang with no border. Or a pillow!

2 Likes

This is so very lovely! :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Very unique and cool!

2 Likes

All kinds of awesome!

2 Likes

Thanks, y’all!

1 Like

You make me want to learn to embroider! This is incredible. I absolutely love it. It’s beyond!

1 Like

This is AMAZING! I love your use of ribbons and yarns to add more texture. The bead bubbles are perfect, and your skeleton is fantastic.

1 Like

She’s hauntingly lovely! I really love all the dimension and texture you get with the variety of fibers and added beads.

1 Like

This is gorgeous!

1 Like

So pretty. I love how the coral pops at the bottom and the way the hair lays. Very cool!

1 Like

Ohhhh! Merskelly! I get it now. That thing is so detailed- bet it must have taken forever! You could put it in a frame encrusted with shells.

1 Like

Ooh, shells!

It didn’t take long at all. The skeleton took maybe 4-5 hours, the rest a couple more hours.

I’m with Marrionberries. Do frame it but make the frame out of textiles, too! I am soooh madly loving this!

1 Like

This makes my hear pitter-pat. For real. It makes me want to try to do something of my own. I love all the different fiber bits. And the eel??? swimming through her? Yaaaasssss!!!

1 Like