CLOSED: Nerd Games - Discussion Thread for 2020 Games

Does anyone know whether linking to a project post where I’ve tagged another user will cause that user to get a notification? I have a bunch of prompts to complete from a recent post but don’t want the tag-ee there to get spammed just so I can get the bonus points…

1 Like

Just linking it shouldn’t notify them. I think you’re safe.

1 Like

SBC has been nagging me again to post. I’m so terrible at remembering to do that :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

LOL! I know what you mean. I’ve had a few projects done for at least a week that I need to post. It’s on my list for today :slight_smile: One project is in the car, and it’s currently pouring. I’ll go out when there’s a break in the rain.

2 Likes

New Prompts are up!

September Battle - Hand vs Machine

September Theme - Sewing Month!

• Bobbin Thread - Craft something that’s useful “under the table” or “unseen”, or something that is wound, or made with thread
  • Sewing Needle - Craft something that is made of metal, is sharp, or is long and thin
  • Seam Ripper - Craft a project that took more than one try, or was a complete and utter failure (it’s fine to post an unfinished project here that you’ve given up on, as long as you sunk enough time into it already!)
  • Tailor’s Chalk - Craft something that required drafting, sketching, or other type of physical pre-planning. Or something with chalk!
  • Iron - Craft something that requires meticulous ironing, flattening, heat, or is heavy.
2 Likes

TRACKING UPDATE!

So far this season, we have 13 active players! A total of 102 projects have been posted, including 5 big time project and 6 research projects!

Here is where each team stands currently:

Team Players Projects Points Average
Running with Scissors 5 35 1270 254
Knotty by Nature 2 29 1165 582
Paletteable Art 2 27 1270 635
Bits and Bobs 4 12 435 108

Battle Royale Results:

July # Results
Cultivated Borders 5 WINNER!
Wild Native Plantings 4
August # Results
Sharks 3
Orcas 5 WINNER!
September # Results
TBD
TBD

You can find your individual tracking sheet and the team roster here

As always, if you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me! Craft on, Nerds! :nerd_face:

2 Likes

Do you know when the next raffle will be? I was thinking of making something but don’t want to make something for the wrong season (i.e. Christmas ornaments for a March raffle :wink: ) Thanks!

Wayyyyyyy back in the comments we agreed to do one raffle a year in the spring, and do a swap in the winter.

The fall season runs October-November-December. That is a super busy time for most people, and I worry that we will have even less prize donations than we did in the spring. Last spring, we had 24 people with tickets, and many of those people had well over 40 tickets to bid. We only had seven prizes donated.

I personally feel that the raffle wasn’t that popular after more than a year of not having one (in 2019, we did that year long Nerd Games and held no raffle or swaps). Back on the old site, we had problems getting raffle donations as well, and it got even more sparse if we had multiple raffles a year. I think that keeping it to one raffle a year keeps the fun and interest going.

If anyone else would like to weigh in on this, feel free! We also have a swap to consider. Instead of a raffle, we could do a swap this fall. Or wait until the winter round to do a swap as previously agreed upon, and then do a raffle next spring again. I’d love to hear what you have to say!

1 Like

I do enjoy the raffles a lot and once a year in the spring is fine! :blush: I just wanted to start planning on something to offer, but if its only once a year then I won’t worry too much about what I offer being out of season as it will eventually be useful! :wink:

So, another question! I may have missed this, but it sounds like there is a planned event per quarter?? Is this right? What am I missing for the oct, nov, dec?

april, may, june – the raffle
july, aug, sept – the summer event (the choose an adventure or the bingo cards like this round)
oct, nov, dec – ???
jan, feb, march – the swap

1 Like

I don’t think we ever planned anything for fall. Do you have any suggestions? If anyone has an idea, we’d love to hear it!!! @Smeddley, did you already have ideas?

Also, how is everyone doing with the bingo cards for this summer round?

2 Likes

Thank you for the update and I am loving that pic of Monkey. Is that what your still calling him?

1 Like

I’ll try to think of something to suggest. I had some vague ideas of a scavenger hunt or something festive since it is the holiday season, but I’ve not come up with a solid fully formed idea yet. :slight_smile:

I’m filling out my bingo card! I’ve almost got bingo a couple of ways! :smiley: Need a few more projects to finish it up. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Maybe we could have Holiday themed teams instead of the normal ones?

2 Likes

Ohhh, that sounds fun.

3 Likes

Yes. He’s still Monkey. He will forever be Monkey. Or Butt. Because he smells and acts like one :joy_cat:

2 Likes

I love the idea of Holiday themed teams! :jack_o_lantern: :turkey: :christmas_tree:

What about an advent calendar thing for the fall round? Like maybe every Sunday (or whatever day is best) on top of the normal monthly prompts we get a new weekly bonus prompt to craft for the fall quarter? In October Halloween/fall themed prompts, Nov would be Thanksgiving/Fall themes and December Christmas/Winter??

3 Likes

Or to make it a little easier so @storerboughtcreation doesn’t have to come up with 12 extra prompt ideas (I’ve tried to throw in suggestions and it’s hard!), maybe each month we can have one additional prompt that is geared towards that months holiday? I just don’t want to put that much work on the people behind the scenes, but I like the idea. Or maybe to jazz it up a little, give us a specific challenge. Like for Halloween the extra bonus prompt could be creating something with 3 specific Halloween items in it. For example: the item has to contain a pumpkin, candy, and witches broom. Or give us 5 items and it has to contain at least 3. It’s a little different and could be fun. Just an idea.

3 Likes

That sounds good too. I’m up for whatever! :slight_smile: @storerboughtcreation , please feel free to modify as you wish. I’m just brainstorming ideas. :smile:

1 Like

To be clear, I don’t come up with any prompts. That all comes from the super awesome @Smeddley. If I was creating prompts, it would be craft something blue. Dog. Make a bucket.

I am not creative in that way. I just killed my sister, @QueenHobo (I’m speaking out loud as I type, and she’s agreeing with me :joy:).

That said, I do like the bonus prompt idea if Smeddley is up for it. Or something like it.

3 Likes

I am now going to make a bucket as soon as I am done making this dino

4 Likes