CLOSED: Nerd Games - Discussion Thread for 2020 Games

@Tanyia - what everyone else has said about the prompts, and I feel you on the crochet. Weirdly, the “zaps” are the hardest prompts I find to fill, because there are only a very, very few crochet project that take less than 20 minutes (some snowflakes)? Sewing projects take me forever because of all the cutting and ironing and the fact that I’m not great at them, ditto art. But it doesn’t matter how much you do, the points really don’t matter and no one will be mean about anyone “not doing enough” and we’re just here to give encouragement and hopefully the prompts help with crafting mojo?

@Nou There is NO HARM!!! No one will be upset about it, I promise you! The points are really… nothing. I’ve been in the games from the beginning and even though I’ve “celebrated” when “my” team won… looking back, I can’t even tell you how many times that happened. I DO remember a lot of amazing projects and encouragement, though! So… yeah, the teams are fun and good for a laugh, but no one really cares. I “compete” with myself and push myself with the prompts, but would never get on anyone about “not doing enough”!!! Join us! One of us! One of us… :smiley:

3 Likes

@storerboughtcreation & @Smeddley, I so appreciate your reply. Thank you both. :heart:

3 Likes

I agree thank you so much for your help and all your kind words and just for being so welcoming. I think I am going to love it here!

4 Likes

@Smeddly… many times… Team Textbook will live on forever in my heart- Small but mighty!
:heart: :wink:

3 Likes

It looks like we’ll be keeping the shifted schedule. Thank you all for participating! :heart:

1 Like

Time for another poll! I’ll keep this one open for three days.

It’s been a long while since we’ve done either a swap or a raffle, but it is something fun we used to do. I think it’s time we do a raffle! What about you? Are you in?

If we do a raffle, we will devise a ticket allotment system, and you will gain tickets for projects posted this season and next.

Which brings us to prizes! If we decide to do a raffle, would you be willing to donate a prize? You would need to either craft something or offer small crafty bundles (like maybe some notions or fabric packs) as a prize, and you would be responsible for shipping costs and mailing out your item by a specified date. Keep in mind that you may have to ship internationally. You would need to have a photo of your offered item(s) with a description submitted before the end of the spring round… let’s say by June 15th.

So without further ado, please answer the following two polls!

Should we hold a raffle?

• Yes! We should hold a raffle.
  • No. I don’t think I’m interested at this time

0 voters

Prize donations?

• Yes! I will definitely be contributing a prize
  • No. I can’t at this time
  • Maybe? I need to see what the future holds.

0 voters

1 Like

I will do my best to offer up a prize. I am gearing up to get some kiss lock coin purses done but I have to find a pattern that will fit the size locks I have. I found one that is close, about half an inch off, that I think I am going to try to manipulate into working for me. If it works I will be offering that as a prize. Wish me luck!

4 Likes

RAFFLE NEWS!

It looks like everyone is excited about doing a raffle, so we shall hold one during the Spring Games!

@roler has kindly agreed to be the raffle wrangler. We will include a raffle post when we start the spring season that roler will keep updated. We will also post the official raffle rules then, but here are a few things to keep in mind during the winter season:

• You will earn one ticket per project posted during the winter AND spring season.
    • With a total of 28 projects available to craft for each season, you can earn up to 56 tickets total for the raffle!
  • Please consider offering a raffle prize. You will be responsible for shipping the prize to the winning Nerd, and it may have to be shipped internationally. Keep this in mind when considering what you’d like to offer.
  • Generally, projects should meet the same requirement as a regular prompt (at least 30 minutes of crafting time). Prizes should have a minimum value of $7-10.
  • Prizes may be crafted items, supplies, or other craft related goods.
  • Anyone that submits at least one project during the Winter or Spring 2020 seasons will be able to participate in the raffle.

Again, rules will be posted at the start of the spring season, April 1, 2020. We will let you know how to submit your prize donations then. So hold tight, and keep on crafting, Nerds!

3 Likes

Hee! I love the title “raffle wrangler”!

5 Likes

Then that shall be your new title!

2 Likes

SBC has been nagging me to post here. I’ve been struggling with my depression a lot lately and I’m hoping that having the nerd games back will help. My goal this year is to not start/have so many WIPs going because it gets so out of hand :laughing:
It’s great to see everyone, new and old, posting and I’m really looking forward to finishing a project this year so I can hop in a join in the fun!

8 Likes

Hellooooo!!! Your first post! YAY! :slight_smile:

I hope you’re doing ok. Just give us a shout if you need an open ear etc.

3 Likes

Now I have the Bunny Hop in my head. Get to crafting, little sis, and post those projects!

2 Likes

Thank you so much! I have a hard time posting anything cause I always second guess myself. It got really hard to post when I moved away from SBC because she wasn’t there as moral support. But I will do my best!!

6 Likes

Just to clarify, your projects don’t have to reflect your team! Your team is just where you, personally, feel like you fit - to give you a group of folks to “play the games” with. Anyone on any team can submit any type of craft!

3 Likes

I just posted my first prompt for the LC Games. I needed the push of the Games to get creative. Thank you to everyone for continuing this! I am now Team Running with Scissors! Eeps! After years of Team Wordy it’s kind of cool to switch it up!

3 Likes

@storerboughtcreation - I have a question. :slight_smile: So, are there going to be 4 raffles per year or 2? One per season or just two where winter tickets roll over to spring and summer tickets roll over to fall?

1 Like

I will miss team wordy and been thinking which team I want to join. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think we’re going to just do one raffle per year. And we will keep it the same as this raffle. The season before and the season of, you will earn tickets for the raffle. It will be announced so that everyone knows when their tickets start accruing.

I’d like to try to do a Nerd Games swap in the fall. I’ll probably do another poll later in the year to see if people are interested.

Everyone, feel free to chime in here, but I felt like two raffles and two swaps per year made the events lose the freshness, the excitement that was intended. Because of that, less prizes were donated, and i just got the general sense that the excitement was gone.

5 Likes

I will also miss Team Multimedia and for the first time ever, @roler and I aren’t on the same team. It feels so weird.

I hope everyone does enjoy the new teams. I wanted to change things up and make things feel new in our new home. If everyone wants to go back to old teams next season, we can.

3 Likes