CLOSED: Nerd Games - Fall 2020

First advent prompt is up! :slight_smile:

fwa-1
autumn leaves - Craft something that is breakable/fragile, has or uses leaves, that takes time to dry, or uses something found in nature/outdoors.

5 Likes

Prompt: October - Similie
Team: Gingerbread Mayhem :cookie: :partying_face:
Project Name: Seven more pumpkins
Project Link:
Brief Description: I made seven more pumpkins. Three of these are going on to Australia tomorrow to my swap partner in a private swap I did. But here are the seven I finished up all together. Not only are these like other pumpkins I’ve made, they’re like real pumpkins… only not edible and they’re plaid. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
Project Photo(s):

9 Likes

Love the pumpkins!

:jack_o_lantern: :jack_o_lantern:

1 Like

Prompt: Advent - Autumn Leaves
Team: Up to Snow Good :snowflake::snowman_with_snow:
Project Name: Gift tags
Project Links:
Description: The holly, figgy pudding and tree have leaves!
Photo:
stshdctihts

6 Likes

Breaking the ice for Team :trident:!

Prompt: Hyperbole (October)
Team: Raking and Entering
Project Name: Miss Bunny Marguerite Groceries
Project Link: Whimsyween 2020 ATCs
Brief Description: Bun’s mouth is notably bigger than the rest of her facial features.
Project Photo(s):
20201004_193003

Prompt: Simile (October)
Project Name: Miss Barbara Millicent Groceries
Brief Description: Barbara Millicent shares several similarities in, uh, construction with her sister Bun above. (But she came first and doesn’t get along with Bun, so maybe don’t mention their similarities in conversation.)
Project Photo(s):
20201002_194542

Prompt: Malapropisms (October)
Project Name: Miss Gracie Lou RealLady
Brief Description: Gracie Lou’s mouth? lipstick? is a little out of whack.
Project Photo(s):
20201003_183431

6 Likes

@bluebird, your tags are adorable! I love them all, but the owl and candy cane are my favorites!

@megwell, those are fun collages! I want to learn how to do elaborate ones like my MIL used to make. Do you have any tips you can share?

2 Likes

I’m still fairly new at it myself. The thing I’m trying to remember is to not overthink it/get locked up and to try to go with the flow. Which isn’t really collage-specific. My best tip is probably to check out the paper craft category; there are folks there who have more expertise than I do and can probably give you way better advice.

2 Likes

Thanks!

This is a really bad photo of my favorite of the collages she made. It’s Mt Rainier. She gifted it to me for my birthday before she passed away to make sure I got to keep it. We got a few other pieces of hers I’ll take photos of when we get stuff out of storage.

She got polio at the age of 6 (five years before the vaccine came out). She lost complete use of her right arm and could only bend her left arm at the elbow. She couldn’t lift her arm at all. She learned to use her left hand, and eventually learned to create gorgeous pieces of art. I hope to be even half as good as she was. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

That looks amazing! Meanwhile, I’m over here meticulously cutting the hair off of people in photos…

I would say just start. The early ones may fall short of what you’re trying to achieve, but you’ll learn stuff. That’s something I’m trying to embrace. I guess it’s also another thing that applies to all pursuits and not just collage.

2 Likes

Almost all of her work was done with magazines. She’d use mostly ads and save chunks of color. Then start a piece. The one I shared also used some handmade paper in the sky.

This is the only collage I’ve ever attempted, and my hubby helped me cut the paper. I kept getting it too blocky.

4 Likes

Prompt: Big Time
Team: Raking and Entering!
Project Name: Lucille the Seal!
Project Link: Lucille the Seal Feltie
Brief Description: Yet another felt creature. This time of a seal. I learned how to weight them and shade them with this round. I think she is rather cute. :blush: You can click the link to see her dressed up for the season.
Project Photo(s):

8 Likes

I love all of your felt creations!!! :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

so cute! :blush:

2 Likes

@bluebird – Those tags are very pretty. I love the way you aged the edges of some of them. And thanks for the Advent prompts! They look fun.

@storerboughtcreation - Those pumpkins are very cool. I love the orange one with the small plaid pattern. Super festive! The collage your MIL made is super cool! I love her style. Yours is cool too. You should do more. Looks like you have a knack for it.

@Megwell – Hello fellow Raking and Entering partner. I think this makes us partners in crime? Your collages are so fun and cheerful!

3 Likes

The last one you posted reminds me very much of capturing audio’s style!

Thank you! I didn’t set out with that in mind, but it’s a high compliment.

2 Likes

Oh my goodness I love Lucille!!!

1 Like

Prompt: October Battle - Thesaurus
Team: Up to Snow Good
Project Name: Blue and White Peacock Embroidered Buttondown
Project Link: https://forum.lettucecraft.com/t/blue-and-white-peacock-embroidered-buttondown/8124
Brief Description: I had this sitting half done for almost a year, and finally finished it. I wanted to make something related in concept to blue and white china patterns :3 Thesauruses are used to look up words that are related or similar in concept, so I thought it would fit.
Project Photo(s):

7 Likes

Holy Swiss cheese, Batman! You hand embroidered that?! You did a fantastic job!

1 Like