CLOSED: Nerd Games - Fall 2020

Prompt: Seasonal Changes (Advent 5)
Team: Raking and Entering
Project Name: Hunt Cash Make Buns ATC
Project Link: More October Swap ATCs
Brief Description: This scrappy-embellishment-style card has lots of layers.
Project Photo(s):
20201112_212425

Prompt: Palindrome (October)
Project Name: Mia’s Merit Badge ATC
Project Link: More October Swap ATCs
Brief Description: The badge base is a circle, a shape that is the same forward or backward. (Real talk: I had no idea how to approach this prompt. If this doesn’t actually fit the bill, let me know and I can choose a different one.)
Project Photo(s):
20201112_212325

Prompt: Cornucopia (Advent 7)
Project Name: “If You Wait for Perfect” journal spread
Project Link: Continued Adventures in Art Journaling
Brief Description: This spread is multicolored.
Project Photo(s):
20201108_143142

Prompt: Cinnamon Broom (Advent 6)
Project Name: Untitled journal spread
Project Link: Continued Adventures in Art Journaling
Brief Description: Most of the paint on this spread I applied with my fingers, so messy hands.
Project Photo(s):
20201111_151701

4 Likes

Prompt: Advent - Cornucopia
Team: Gingerbread Mayhem
Project Name: Olive the Otter Reindeer
Project Link: Olive the Otter Reindeer
Brief Description: I saw a cute tshirt design and decided I needed to crochet my own version of the otter reindeer. This contains multiples of ears, feet, and hands
Project Photo(s):

4 Likes

Prompt: Nov: Destroying Angel
Team: Up to Snow Good
Project Name: Constellation Whale
Project Description: This cute felt whale isn’t what it appears to be? Why? Because you will find him in the sky with the constellations!
Project Photo: (photo credit to lifeinpigtails, who received this in the Ongoing Ornament Swap)

6 Likes

Prompt: Advent #3 Pumpkins
Team: Raking & Entering
Project Name: Bride of Frankenstein Reading
Project Link: Bride of Frankenstein Reading PinUp
Brief Description: I made this for the Winter Book Swap. My partner likes classic Hollywood monsters. The drawing has a face, so it fits the prompt!
Project Photo(s):

7 Likes

I love the pinup vibe that you gave to it! Such a fantastic take on the theme!

1 Like

Prompt: Big Time
Project Name: Stupid Ugly Sweater Ornament
Project Link: Stupid Ugly Christmas Sweater ornament... with pattern and photo tutorial
Brief Description: This small ornament should have taken only an hour tops to make. Probably less. But as you’ll see if you read the description in the project link, that is NOT what happened. :joy: Between my first attempt, the second attempt, then the third sweater pictured here and in the pattern I wrote up, this took about 7 hours total.
Project Photo(s):
sweater003

5 Likes

@storerboughtcreation - lol, I did a sweater ornament a few years back and had a similar problem! I had to start a couple times and the yarn was so splitty it was a total nightmare and took hours, but I powered through and got it done. Your ornament turned out very cute!

@gozer - beautifully done! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Prompt: November – Destroying Angel
Project Name: Yarn hat for Fred the Fox
Project Link: -0-
Brief Description: It’s getting chilly out and Fred requested a hat. This fits the prompt because it looks like it is knitted but it’s actually just tied around cardboard. I plan on making another and taking in progress photos so I will add a link then. PS. This took way longer than I thought it would. LOL!
Project Photo(s):

7 Likes

Wait… that’s tied around cardboard?! I had to zoom in for a closer look. Very cool!

1 Like

I just saw that method somewhere online. It’s such a cute way to make a hat!

2 Likes

Fred’s hat is so cute and clever! I love how his ears poke out. And the Bride is AWESOME!!! I love her. :star_struck:

1 Like

Week 8 prompt! :blush:

fwa-8

turkey dinner - Craft something with a bird, that has stuffing, has legs, has many parts, or is used with friends/family

4 Likes

Prompt: November Battle- Cooked
Project Name: Fall 2020 Canning
Project Link: n/a
Brief Description: Here is some late fall canning! Two recipes were ones that we had never made before, and the third is one of the first things my friend and I canned together. The oldie but goodie is pickled beets with cumin & cloves (From Put 'Em Up by Sherri Brooks Vinton), and it’s the recipe that finally got me to not mind eating beets (and now I actually like them!). Then, we made Apple Date Butter (From Naturally Sweet Food in Jars by Marisa McClellan, which was so easy! The apples didn’t need peeling or coring; they were rough chopped, cooked, and then run through a food mill. And, to use up some local Concord grapes, we made a small batch of Concord grape jam (from Marisa McClellan’s Food in Jars website). Using the food mill made this an easy jam to make. All three recipes will end up the “will make again” list! And, funny side story… when I was a kid, we had a large grapevine in the yard and my mom decided to make grape jelly. The only thing was that she peeled the grapes first! As kids, we wouldn’t eat the jelly because it was green and not purple!

Project Photo(s):

5 Likes

Mmm, I love concord grapes, but they can be hard to find here.

1 Like

I was able to get some from a local food ”hub,” and they sat in my fridge for longer than I wanted. But, they seem to be more hardy than grocery store grapes. The jam is delicious, and I will definitely seek out more Concord grapes next year (a farm stand up the road had them, as well). I’d love to grow some, but I know the critters would get them all!

1 Like

Prompt: November – Fly Agaric
Project Name: Prepare to be Enchanted
Project Link: Prepare to be Enchanted
Brief Description: I made this for Abeeroad in the book swap. The phrase, I think, is suitable for someone getting ready to crack open a book, but also is featured in one of the books I sent her, Life Expectancy by Dean Koontz.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Advent #5
Project Name: Mini Victorian house
Project Link: Mini Victorian house
Brief Description: I made this for my partner in the Winter Decor swap. It’s blue!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Advent #7
Project Name: Dog beds
Project Link: Pet bed procrastination
Brief Description: Finally finished the dog beds for my puppoes! There are two beds, coz there are two dogs.
Project Photo(s)

Prompt: Zap #3
Project Name: Reading lip balm
Project Link: -0-
Brief Description: Just a quick extra for my partner in the book swap.
Project Photo(s)

5 Likes

Prompt: Free Range
Project Name: Pizza
Project Link:
Brief Description: I made four pizzas and a calzone a few nights ago. My BIL made the dough, I made the pizzas (and giant mess with the flour!). I was dreading cleanup, but my dad gladly volunteered to sweep and wipe counters since I made him food. :joy:
Project Photo(s)

6 Likes

Looks so yummy!!

2 Likes

Prompt: Raw (November Battle)
Project Name: Untitled journal spread
Project Link: N/A
Brief Description: Filing this as raw because it may still be undercooked :laughing:. That is, I’m turning the page on it for now, but if it speaks to me at later date I may go back in.
(Journal: Basic Starter Art Journal from a Grocery Bag)

Project Photo(s):

7 Likes

I like this one. Makes me think of some water ring damage I’ve done to wood or paper. Could be a fun way to both accent it and hide it with art! I will have to remember this :blush:

1 Like