CLOSED: Nerd Games - Fall 2020

Awww, that sloth is so cute!!!

2 Likes

And the final day of the Fall advent! :slight_smile:

fwa-12

Christmas tree - Craft something that is green, that is spiky, that uses water, that lights up, has a star, that is a gift, or anything! Because presents are surprises and anything could be in the box!

2 Likes

Prompt: December - Bows
Team: Raking and Entering
Project Name: Cape, Boots & Mittens
Project Link: Cold Weather Outfit for Ruby the Red panda
Brief Description: I made Ruby the Red Panda a winter outfit of a cape, boots, and mittens. The cape alone had 10 small pieces to it.
Project Photo(s):

4 Likes

I want a human sized version of that cape! So cute!

2 Likes

So freakin’ adorable! I absolutely love it!

3 Likes

Prompt: Advent - Holly Wreath
Team: Gingerbread Mayhem
Project Name: Lion clock pyrography
Project Link: Lion clock pyrography
Brief Description: I burned this for my dad for xmas. It’s round :slight_smile:
Project Photo(s):

Edited to add updated photo

Prompt: Big Time
Project Name: seagull biscornu
Project Link:
Brief Description: Do you ever see a pattern and even though you have no use for it or no one in mind to give it to, you just have to make it? I’m not sure why this pattern called to me so much, but I love it. I hate seagulls IRL, but these ones are so cute!
Project Photo(s):

4 Likes

That lion is… WOW! what a beautiful job!

And the cape is truly adorable. I want one, too! Capes for everyone!!! Lol

1 Like

Prompt: December Battle - Gift Bag
Project Name: Pokéball Drawstring Bag
Project Link: Pokéball Drawstring Bag
Brief Description: I think I’ll be giving this to a coworker to use as a dice bag! So it is a gift, and a bag, if not a gift bag! :slight_smile:
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: November - Pink Oyster
Project Name: Little Piggie
Project Link: Little piggie
Brief Description: This little piggie is pink!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Advent - Turkey Dinner
Project Name: Penguin Ornament
Project Link: Penguin Ornament
Brief Description: It’s a bird!
Project Photo(s):

2 Likes

Prompt: Advent - Seasonal Changes
Project Name: Blue baby dinosaur
Project Link: Baby dinosaurs
Brief Description: It’s blue!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Advent - Christmas Tree
Project Name: Purple baby dinosaur
Project Link: Baby dinosaurs
Brief Description: It’s a gift!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Big Time #2
Project Name: Otis Sloth
Project Link: Otis Sloth
Brief Description: This gift for SBC took research project amounts of time, but a big time’ll do!
Project Photo(s):

2 Likes

I love Otis so much! Thank you! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

Prompt: December - Ribbon
Project Name: Christmas Elf Chris
Project Link: Christmas Elf Chris
Brief Description: He has a stripey hat!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: December - Gift Wrap
Project Name: Fluffy Beard Gnome
Project Link: Gnome Ornaments
Brief Description: The beard is faux fur yarn, a chain with a row of sc, attached to the body with hot glue.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Advent - Holly Wreath
Project Name: Tree Hat Gnome
Project Link: Gnome Ornaments
Brief Description: Round body, red shirt, pointy hat!
Project Photo(s):

3 Likes

Hey all, I have made things that I haven’t added here. I’m sorry team Up to Snow Good that I don’t feel like going back and seeing what I can add, but I’ll include one last Zap!

Prompt: Zap!
Team: Up to Snow Good
Project Name: Amazon Gift Box Magnets
Brief Description: My family and I shop from Amazon a lot. I found these cool gift boxes when I ordered gift cards this year, and just knew I needed to have them as magnets! I have heavy weight magnets on the bubble wrap one and light weight magnets on the box (heavy weight is too much!) I haven’t used my gift cards yet, so they are actually in the tin one right now!

Project photo:
Amazon-Gift-Card-Box-Magnets

3 Likes

Prompt: November - Pink Oyster
Project Name: Draw string bag #1
Project Link: Drawstring bags
Brief Description: I made this for my daughter for Christmas. It opens to reveal knitting looms and tools.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: December -Tags
Project Name: Shirt for hubby
Project Link:
Brief Description: I made this for my hubby for Christmas. It mentions the name of the Lord on the back.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: December -Ribbon
Project Name: Orange Bread
Project Link: Annual Orange Bread
Brief Description: I make this bread for Christmas every year. The loaves are long.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: December -Tissue
Project Name: MTG box
Project Link:
Brief Description: My husband and I made this together for my son for Christmas. He has recently got into Magic the Gathering and needed something to house his growing collection of cards and dice etc. It will be used more than once.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Advent #9
Project Name: Bizzeebags
Project Link:
Brief Description: I had a different group of kids in my Sunday School class this year (until Covid shut the world down) but we’ve tried to stay in touch with them and let them know that they are thought of. For Christmas I made them each a bizzeebag, as I have done for previous classes. There are laminated tags attached that list the goodies inside the bag. They have words on them and use paper.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Advent #12
Project Name: Peanut’s bizzeebag
Project Link:
Brief Description: This bizzeebag is for my granddaughter, who loves to find things. The tag on this one has photos of the items as well as the words. It’s a gift!
Project Photo(s):

3 Likes

Prompt: Advent #11
Project Name: Drawstring bag #2
Project Link: Drawstring bags
Brief Description: I made this one for my DIL. It has strings!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Research project
Project Name: Stocking for Kenz
Project Link: Snowflake stocking
Brief Description: I made this for my DIL. She picked out the patterns for stocking design and the lettering, but I did all the tricky stuff. :wink: I have no idea how many hours were spent on this, but they were many. It also features iridescent thread and beading.
Project Photo(s):

3 Likes

Prompt: December - Tags
Project Name: Charmander #1
Project Link: Charmander ornament
Brief Description: This is a little ornament that gets attached to a tree!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: December - Tissue Paper
Project Name: Charmander #2
Project Link:
Brief Description: I used this pattern more than once, to make two baby dinos and two Charmander! :slight_smile: And I hope this gift ornament will be used more than once on many Christmas trees to come!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Advent - Tinsel
Project Name: Psyduck Ornament
Project Link: Psyduck ornament
Brief Description: My silly Psyduck ornament is made to adorn a tree! :slight_smile:
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: December - Bows
Project Name: Poinsettia Percy
Project Link: Poinsettia Percy
Brief Description: This ornament is made of many little parts! So many leaves!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Advent - Cinnamon Broom
Project Name: Sweet Potato Pie
Project Link:
Brief Description: Sweet potato pie is spicy, brown, smells lovely, and got my hands messy!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Advent - Cornucopia
Project Name: Pikachu Cookies
Project Link: Pikachu Cookies!
Brief Description: Many multiples of this food!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Advent - Greeting Cards
Project Name: Koinobori TM Patch
Project Link: Koinobori TM Patch
Brief Description: TM Patches are flat!
Project Photo(s):

4 Likes

I have a few projects that I made over the last week (plus one I forgot about). Then, I’m planning to bust out the sewing machine today to hopefully make a couple of other items.

Prompt: October- Palindrome
Project Name: Scrubbie Dishcloth #1
Project Link: n/a
Brief Description: This uses the simple pattern that geekgirl shared (crochet an odd # of chains, sc in 2nd from hook, dc, then sc, dc until the end… chain one, sc, dc across), and the stitch pattern is the same as you move back and forth across the rows. It also makes the same pattern on both sides. It’s made from a yarn that has a nylon thread wrapped around a cotton (I think) core. This particular brand (Aunt Lydia’s?) is discontinued, I believe, but I think there’s another brand available. I found this on clearance some time ago.

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: October- Simile
Project Name: Scrubbie Dishcloth #2
Brief Description: This one uses the same pattern as the one above, but I used a different number of starting chains (2 more) so it’s more square than the one above. I wasn’t sure I had enough yarn to make the first one, so I made it more narrow. I used the entire ball. Then, I found a second ball, and knew I had enough yarn to make the second one a bit wider (but not as long).

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: November- Fly Agaric
Project Name: Luthuanian Star Ornament (#1)
Project Link: Lithuanian Star Ornaments
Brief Description: In honor of our Lithuanian heritage, we made Lithuanian star ornaments using wheat straws. My first successful one was 6 sided, and I like how the red embroidery floss looks against the straws.

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Advent- 12/13- Tinsel
Project Name: Lithuanian Star Ornament #2
Brief Description: This was my second ornament (lower right in the photo). I used an 8 sided jig for this one. Ornaments adorn Christmas trees!

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Advent- 12/20- Christmas Tree
Project Name: Lithuanian Star Ornament #3
Brief Description: This was my third ornament. I used the 10 sided jig for this one. It’s pretty spiky!

Project Photo(s): (see upper left in above photo)

Prompt: December- Ribbon
Project Name: Striped Dishcloth
Brief Description: My mom really loves my crocheted dishcloths, so I made a few for her. This one is made with self-striping yarn (and uses the same pattern as the others)

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Advent- 11/29- Greeting Cards
Team: Gingerbread mayhem
Project Name: Variegated Dishcloth
Brief Description: I made this as a gift for my mom’s friend. Dishcloths are flat!

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: November- Pink Oyster
Project Name: Tulle Dish Scrubbie #1
Brief Description: I made this to go with the variegated dishcloth above as part of a gift set.

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Advent- 12/6- Holly Wreath
Project Name: Tulle Dish Scrubbie #2
Brief Description: After I made the tulle scrubbie for her friend, my mom wanted one for herself. She already had a smaller one, but liked the larger size of this one.

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: December- Tissue Paper
Project Name: Etched Glass Mug
Brief Description: I made this for kittykill in the Winter Book Swap (and somehow forgot to post it!). It says “I like Big Books and I cannot lie.” It’s made of glass (delicate), partially see through where the etching is, and it can be used over and over!

Project Photo(s):

4 Likes

OK, all I’ve got left to post are free ranges! (Still kicking myself for not posting the November battle - I even had something made that fit and was made on time, but forgot to post!) Let’s see how many I can find that I haven’t posted yet…

Prompt: Free Range #1
Project Name: Snowman for Nou
Project Link: Mother and Daughter Snowpeople
Brief Description: I made the one on the left, and my Mom made the one on the right!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Free Range #2
Project Name: Poliwag Magnet
Project Link: Pokémon Magnets
Brief Description: A Pokémon magnet for the secret Santa swap!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Free Range #3
Project Name: Shiny Espeon Magnet
Project Link: Pokémon Magnets
Brief Description: Another Pokémon magnet for the secret Santa swap!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Free Range #4
Project Name: Raspberry Custard Pie
Project Link:
Brief Description: Should have been my November battle. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Made this (and the sweet potato pie) for Thanksgiving!
Project Photo(s):

4 Likes

Prompt: Zap #1
Project Name: Charmander ATC
Project Link: Charmander ATC and request for private swaps! :)
Brief Description: This took longer than a zap but it’s about as close as I ever get to one. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Please note that I’d love to do private ATC swaps with anyone willing to help me fill out my brand new Pokémon collection! :slight_smile:
Project Photo(s):

2 Likes

Prompt: December - Tags
Project Name: My first Cricut project!
Project Link: Laurali's Unicorn
Brief Description: I got a Cricut Explore Air 2 for Christmas. I went with a simple card for my first project. I made this for my first cousin twice removed (my cousins granddaughter), to go with a crocheted unicorn I am in the process of crocheting.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Advent - Tinsel
Project Name: Reindeer bauble
Project Link: Reindeer Bauble
Brief Description: I cross stitched this using metallic threads. I was hoping to finish it before Christmas, but alas, I didn’t.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Free Range
Project Name: Superb Fairy Wren
Project Link:
Brief Description: I got this adorable cross stitch kit in a package from @Smeddley. She sent me my raffle prizes as well as a few things I claimed in a Facebook purge she did a while back. There are two more patterns in the kit that I haven’t made yet. This is the one Mr SBC asked me to make for him first. Thanks, Smeddley!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Advent - Christmas Tree
Project Name: Scrabble Nerd Games board 1
Project Link:
Brief Description: QueenHobo offered a gift to be claimed this season, but didn’t follow through. I ended up designing a fun Nerd Games trinket for participants that sent me their addresses. In the end, I had 8 people to send to! I did get QueenHobo to help me burn half of them. Here are the four I burned.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Zap
Project Name: Scrabble Nerd Games board 2
Project Link:
Brief Description: These are the boards QueenHobo burned. She used my original burning tool, I used my upgraded tool. You can really see the difference in the quality of the burn. I’m glad I splurged on the more expensive tool. She burned the most of the card… I’m claiming this as a zap because I had to burn all of the tiny numbers on each block. My original burn tool can’t handle that fine of a burn.
Project Photo(s):

6 Likes

Love my burned board! Thanks so much!! :slight_smile: And also, wow, look at the range of different crafts you just posted! So versatile! XD

1 Like