CLOSED: Nerd Games - Fall 2020

Better get this in before the deadline :smiley:

Prompt: Thesarus - October battle
Team: Resting Grinch Face
Project Name: Dinosaur legs (Drumsticks)
Brief Description: “What do you call a dinosaur with an extensive vocabulary? A Thesaurus” Whenever I think about thesaurus I think about that joke, and then I think about dinosaur legs. When my song was younger we used to pretend the chicken legs were dinosaur legs, we still call them dinosaur legs even though he’s 11.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: October Neologism
Project Name: Dragon phone case
Brief Description: Drawing with sharpies is something new for me, there is no way to remove any errors.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Advent 1 - autumn leaves
Project Name: Starbucks cake
Brief Description: The starbucks “glass” is made out of chocolate, it’s quite fragile and I had to fix several cups because parts broke off.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Advent 2 - corn maze
Project Name: Persimmon cookies
Brief Description: I had hoped they would be more orange, but these cookies are quite yellow. They do taste nice so I don’t mind
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Advent 3 - pumpkins
Project Name: Dragon ball jelly balls
Brief Description: The balls are orange, and taste of orange. It took a long time to make them but it was also fun.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Advent 4 - Halloween
Project Name: Naruto weapon cookies
Brief Description: These cookies are both sweet and black.
Project Photo(s):

6 Likes

Explanation of the owling - a friend went out of town, and her and her sister-in-law have been passing an owl statue back and forth in each other’s yards… I suggested we take it one step further and owl the INSIDE of her house, since SIL had access… hence, Hiddon Owl Operation (H.O.O.) was born!

Prompt: October Battle dictionary
Project Name: Tequila Bottle “clothing”
Brief Description: So this is a long story, but it all started with my phone’s swype dictionary that thought when I tried to swype “something” that what I really meant was “sombrero free”. Because that’s totally an everyday word. Unlike “something”. I posted this to FB, my friend replied, and so on his birthday… he go a sombrero (and poncho) wearing bottle of tequila!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: October - Simile
Project Name: Spray Cheese is Love art
Brief Description: Okay, technically a metaphor, but since people always get those mixed up, anyway… and really, spray cheese is also like love, in that it’s messy but wonderful? This was drawn as a Thank You card, there’s a group of us who volunteer to send out thank yous to people who donate to one of the animal rescue groups (Always and Furever).
Project Photo(s):
Spray Cheese

Prompt: October Malapropism
Project Name: The Pumpkin Scream
Brief Description: Made for my Pumpkin All The Things… thing, this year I decided to put a pumpkiny twist on famous art! Definitely something not quite right here…
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: October Neologism
Project Name: Macrame Owl
Brief Description: I actually don’t think I’ve ever done macrame, I was born int he 70s but didn’t start crafting until the 80s, and the trend had faded by then. But when you’re owling someone’s house, how can you not have the classic macrame owl?!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: October Free Range #1
Project Name: Pug Art
Brief Description: Also for a thank you card for Always and Furever!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: October Free Range 2
Project Name: Relay for Rescue Shirt
Brief Description: I was taking part in a charity event, but wasn’t going in-person and my registration was messed up so I didn’t get my t-shirt in time. They’d sent us a graphis we could print out and pin to our shirt, but I decided to just make a shirt, instead!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Advent - Autumn Leaves
Project Name: Owl Rocks
Brief Description: Again, for the owling of my friend’s house! These were done in lots of layers, letting them dry in between (including the time I painted over everything I did because I hated the colors I’d picked!
Project Photo(s):
Owl Rocks

Prompt: Advent - Corn Mazw
Project Name: Owl Button Hoop
Brief Description: I think it’s a fun interpretation of vaguely an owl! Another craft done for the owling!
Project Photo(s):
Owl Hoop

Prompt: Advent - Pumpkins
Project Name: Little Blue Owl
Brief Description: Just a little blue (and white) owl with a face, made for the owling!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Advent - Halloween
Project Name: Black (and greyish) Owl
Brief Description: Another little owl!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Big Time 1
Project Name: Owl Art
Brief Description: For the owling (of course!)
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Big Time 2
Project Name: Brown Owl
Brief Description: For… you guessed it, the owling!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Big Time 3
Project Name: Crochet Cat
Brief Description: Something not for the owling! This was an ami I started quite awhile ago for a friend…
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Zap 1
Project Name: Owl Bookmarks
Brief Description: …three guesses as to why I made owl bookmarks…
Project Photo(s):

9 Likes

Those are all amazing. I’m not sure which is my favorite.

2 Likes

Prompt: October Battle- Dictionary
Team: Gingerbread Mayhem
Project Name: Tiny Stamp Assembly
Project Link: n/a
Brief Description: In the summer of 2019, I started to organize my stamp closet. That involves cutting and mounting a sizable number of Stampin’ Up stamp sets. I made a decent dent in the project, but then school started, then 2020 started. I was tired of tripping over the box of sets that I hadn’t completed, so I set to work on them. Today, I tackled 3 sets that were mostly individual words- they can be combined to create a variety of phrases and sentences (just like dictionary words). Each set contains 56 words/phrases/punctuation stamps. The stamps were double mounted on the wood blocks and the labels were trimmed to size and adhered. My hands are cramped!

Project Photo(s):

5 Likes

Here’s the advent prompt for week 5! :blush:

fwa-5

seasonal changes - Craft something to keep you warm, that is soft, has layers, or is blue

3 Likes

I just realized I had already used the fabric bowls as a Big Time # 1, so I am changing that post into this and un-submitting it as my advent # 5 —I will pick something else.

2 Likes

Prompt: October Palindrome
Team: Raking and Entering
Project Name: costume carpetbag
Project Link:
Brief Description: Made for my Mary Poppins costume, it looks the same on the front and the back.

Project Photo(s):

7 Likes

Prompt: Advent #1 Autumn Leaves
Project Name: Mary Poppins hat
Project Link:
Brief Description: Made for my Mary Poppins costume, it uses flowers and berries, which would be found in nature.

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Advent #2 Corn Maze
Project Name: Christmas tags
Project Link:
Brief Description: I made these for my partner in the Christmas decor swap. They will be useful at Christmas, when it is cold where she lives.

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Advent #3 Pumpkins
Project Name: mummified bat
Project Link:
Brief Description: This bat has a face. And glowing eyes!

Project Photo(s):

6 Likes

Prompt: Zap #2
Project Name: Mary Poppins tie
Project Link:
Brief Description: I made this for my Mary Poppins costume as well. It has a pin back on it, to attach it to my collar.

Project Photo(s):

5 Likes

Prompt: November - Battle - Cooked
Project Name: Gingerbread Men recipe hanging
Project Link: Gingerbread Men Recipe
Brief Description: Made for @gozer in the holiday decor swap. Gingerbread dough definitely tastes better cooked. Sugar cookie or chocolate chip dough on the other hand, I may have had a harder time choosing battle sides!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: October - Neologisms
Project Name: Countdown board 1
Project Link: Countdown to Christmas boards
Brief Description: This was also for @gozer in the same swap. I haven’t made a project like this before. This is the first time I designed a project on the computer, printed it off and used carbon paper to transfer to the wood, this is the largest item I’ve ever burned, and I didn’t hurt myself even once during the making of this project… All new things! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: October - Malapropisms
Project Name: Countdown board 2
Project Link: Countdown to Christmas boards
Brief Description: Before making the board I posted above, I did a trial run and gave this board to my sister. The spacing is slightly off on all of the wording for my first attempt. She said she doesn’t mind and seems to love it, quirks and all.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Advent - Seasonal Changes
Project Name: chilly snowman
Project Link: Snowman for Gozer
Brief Description: Another item for gozer in the same swap. This guy is made with super soft yarn (Bernat Pipsqueak in case you were wondering). He’s hunkered down in his hat and scarf. Only his eyes are peeking out so he can see what’s happening around him.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Advent - Halloween
Project Name: Kitty ornament 1
Project Link: Kitty ornaments
Brief Description: This ornament is perfect for the Christmas holiday season
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Advent - Pumpkins
Project Name: Kitty ornament 2
Brief Description: This cute cat definitely has a face!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: November - Penny Bun
Project Name: Kitty ornament 3
Brief Description: I made these three cat ornaments completely from stash.
Project Photo(s):

7 Likes

Love the kitties!

1 Like

Prompt: October - Hyperbole
Project Name: Ollie Remembrance Box
Project Link: A Remembrance for Ollie
Brief Description: This shadow box exaggerates my love for my beloved lost Ollie. I miss him so much.
Project Photo(s):

Monkey is checking it out.

7 Likes

Prompt: November: Fly Agaric
Team: Up to Snow Good
Project Name: "Seed the Light" Poinsettia Ornament
Brief Description: It is red.
Project Photo:

5 Likes

Prompt: Button Mushroom (November)
Project Name: Miss Charmaine Von DaySpa ATC
Project Link: Whimsyween 2020 ATCs 2: There Will Be Cheese Hair
Brief Description: The oversized bathtub is white.
Project Photo(s):
20201031_220012
Prompt: Destroying Angel (November)
Project Name: Miss Rita Ellen CheeseBoard ATC
Brief Description: Upon closer inspection, Rita’s hair is really a pile of shredded cheese (well, an image of cheese; there is no actual cheese on the card).
Project Photo(s):
20201009_160144

Prompt: Fly Agaric (November)
Project Name: Miss Valerie Fawn HouseWife ATC
Brief Description: An anthropomorphic deer is fairy tale-esque.
Project Photo(s):
20201014_155749

Prompt: Pink Oyster (November)
Project Name: Miss Katherine Lynn Cupcake ATC
Brief Description: Katherine’s cupcake-liner skirt is frilly.
Project Photo(s):
20201011_133634
Prompt: Penny Bun (November)
Project Name: Oatmeal Spice Cookies
Project Link: Butterscotch and Chocolate Chip Spiced Oatmeal Cookies
Brief Description: I baked these in the oven.
Project Photo(s):
20201103_185643

6 Likes

Prompt: November: Penny Bun
Project Name: Cozy Winter Scene Ornament
Brief Description: This felt ornament was made entirely from stash.
Project photo:

5 Likes

Hey Everyone! I am so sorry that I have been so awful about commenting on here. I have been commenting in the posts a lot more lately. Also, to my teammates, I am working but everything is for swaps. I am sending soon so I will drop a bunch on here at once as soon as it is received (and sent).

@megwell – Your 4x6 art is very pretty. I love the colors and the background a lot. The face on your Art Journal page looks fantastic. I think you have more skill than you give yourself credit for. Your ATCs look fun. The robot chicken looks spunky. I like the journal page with the hands too. Great composition. Great alternative to the “I VOTED” sticker! Fun collage ATCs.

@bluebird – the wine ATC is very pretty. You do watercolors beautifully. Blathers looks adorable and I always love a RRH! The candle is amazing as well. You are so talented. I love your work. The strawberry finch is stunning! STUNNING! I would save you have birds down. Can’t wait to see more. I’m sure whoever got that ATC was ecstatic! The enchanted statue is so cute. I want to hug him! And the mushroom ATC with the eye is really cool. He has such personality, like he is telling you he has candy and if you come closer you can have it. LOL! Great job on the Gen & Skull ATC. Like the layout too.

@bunny1kenobi – Bowl cozies are my jam! So useful!! Nice of you to think of PrincessHobo. Your miniatures are so fantastic. The Vampires Liar is amazing. The vampire cracks me up and the fireplace looks awesome. The sofa looks great too. So tiny! My eyes would be killing me. The towels are great. I adore a useable craft item. These are very classy looking. Awesome sewing machine, again, my eyes are not good enough for that size range. I adore the Mini room. I am imagining it on a bookshelf between books forming a hidden little world. I love that it lights up. Fun toad skeleton art. Your Halloween costume was fantastic, especially the hat. The mummy bat is super cool! It makes his fangs show up even more.

@storerboughtcreation – Snoopy! The Bootscornu is my favorite so far. I love the different color background. It sets of the ghosts perfectly. The Mackintosh Biscornu is really pretty too. I like the way you changed up the style and make is asymmetrical. That candycane sloth is perfect for you! It is so cute. I love it! Your cross stitches are so clean and fun. Love my Gingerbread man cross stitch! It’s so cute and perfect for the holidays! The countdown plaque is already on my wall. I am going to grab some chalk this weekend and start it! I think both versions were great. Love my snowman. He is so, so soft. It’s incredible. And I love his little peeking eyes. Don’t worry, I don’t keep my house too cold so Pierre will be fine. I love the cat ornaments. The style is perfect. I love them so much! Your tribute to Ollie made me cry. It’s so pretty and peaceful looking. We never forget the ones that touch our hearts.

@roler – The owl ornament is adorable. The colors and fabric are perfect. The potions ATC is really cool. All the textures and patterns are great. The llama is adorable. It makes me want to learn some embroidery stitches. And the snowman & AC ornaments are so clean and pretty. My felt is never that clean looking. I need to find out the trick to that. The dumpster fire is about accurate for 2020 for me. So many stressful things. Love the ornament. The candycane and stocking. The withc familiar ATC is cute. Very vibrant and rich.

@Lynx – the hummingbird ornament turned out cute as did the embroidered tree. The winter landscape ATC turned out great. I think painting that small would be really hard. What is the house plant made out of? Looks neat. The fabric wrap bowls are beautiful. I love the colors. They are so vibrant. I love useful crafts and this one is great. I need to look up directions and try one of these one day, hopefully soon. Cute Poinsettia ornament. And I love the Norther lights with the polar bears too!

@Kwality570 – I am so excited to have you in the Games this year! The Best Kind of Weird ribbon is amazing! I am sure your co-worker got a huge kick out of it. I love all the detailing on it. Hilarious! And I equally love the ribbon plaque that you gave your boss. I love the way it comes out of the frame a little bit. I never would have thought of that but it makes it look even more special.

@imera – the chicken looks delicious. Your making me hungry. The phone case is very cool. I hope your brother likes it. Drawing without a safety net is nerve wracking. You did awesome! Those Starbucks cake desert looks scrumptious. The dragon ball jelly balls look like something that would be served in a super fancy restaurant. And your cookies looks yummy too.

@Smeddley – The Tequila clothes are funny! The Spray cheese dog pic is adorable. I love the pumpkin Scream art! How big is that? I love the macramé owl. Its cute. Anything with yarn is impossible for me so I am in awe of it. The adoption photo is perfect! I think it’s so sweet. Love the T-shirt too. I hope the charity did well. the owling is funny. The stones are fantastic. I tried doing that one and it was harder than I thought it would be. LOL! The button hoop is instantly recognizable as an owl. Cute blue, brown, & black owls. Beautiful owl artwork. I love that background. The entire thing is so serine. Great shading. Love that cat! Seriously love it!! It has so much personality and the cutest face.

@craftADDchick – Do those stamps have stamps on multiple sides? Genius! And a ton of work. LOL!

5 Likes

Thank you!! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

They do- 2 sides per stamp! It was over 150 to assemble. Fortunately, I think that’s the last of them. They will be super handy to use for ATCs and journal pages, so it was worth the time it took.

4 Likes

Here’s this week’s advent prompt! :blush: :broom:

fwa-6

cinnamon broom - Craft something used for cleaning or got your hands messy, is spicy, is brown, is scented, or hangs up on a wall or door

4 Likes

Prompt: October: Palindrome
Project Name: Barbell-- The #1 ornament!
Brief Description: A barbell is symmetrical lengthwise and with the weights.
Project Photo:

Prompt: Zap # 2
Project Name: A Set of Earrings stud earrings for Secret Santa Swap
Brief Description: I found these fun items to glue to stud earring bases. They were very quick to make!
Project Photo:

7 Likes