CLOSED: Nerd Games - Fall 2020

@storerboughtcreation - lol, I did a sweater ornament a few years back and had a similar problem! I had to start a couple times and the yarn was so splitty it was a total nightmare and took hours, but I powered through and got it done. Your ornament turned out very cute!

@gozer - beautifully done! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Prompt: November – Destroying Angel
Team: Raking & Entering
Project Name: Yarn hat for Fred the Fox
Project Link: -0-
Brief Description: It’s getting chilly out and Fred requested a hat. This fits the prompt because it looks like it is knitted but it’s actually just tied around cardboard. I plan on making another and taking in progress photos so I will add a link then. PS. This took way longer than I thought it would. LOL!
Project Photo(s):

7 Likes

Wait… that’s tied around cardboard?! I had to zoom in for a closer look. Very cool!

1 Like

I just saw that method somewhere online. It’s such a cute way to make a hat!

2 Likes

Fred’s hat is so cute and clever! I love how his ears poke out. And the Bride is AWESOME!!! I love her. :star_struck:

1 Like

Week 8 prompt! :blush:

fwa-8

turkey dinner - Craft something with a bird, that has stuffing, has legs, has many parts, or is used with friends/family

4 Likes

Prompt: November Battle- Cooked
Team: Gingerbread Mayhem
Project Name: Fall 2020 Canning
Project Link: n/a
Brief Description: Here is some late fall canning! Two recipes were ones that we had never made before, and the third is one of the first things my friend and I canned together. The oldie but goodie is pickled beets with cumin & cloves (From Put 'Em Up by Sherri Brooks Vinton), and it’s the recipe that finally got me to not mind eating beets (and now I actually like them!). Then, we made Apple Date Butter (From Naturally Sweet Food in Jars by Marisa McClellan, which was so easy! The apples didn’t need peeling or coring; they were rough chopped, cooked, and then run through a food mill. And, to use up some local Concord grapes, we made a small batch of Concord grape jam (from Marisa McClellan’s Food in Jars website). Using the food mill made this an easy jam to make. All three recipes will end up the “will make again” list! And, funny side story… when I was a kid, we had a large grapevine in the yard and my mom decided to make grape jelly. The only thing was that she peeled the grapes first! As kids, we wouldn’t eat the jelly because it was green and not purple!

Project Photo(s):

5 Likes

Mmm, I love concord grapes, but they can be hard to find here.

1 Like

I was able to get some from a local food ”hub,” and they sat in my fridge for longer than I wanted. But, they seem to be more hardy than grocery store grapes. The jam is delicious, and I will definitely seek out more Concord grapes next year (a farm stand up the road had them, as well). I’d love to grow some, but I know the critters would get them all!

1 Like

Prompt: November – Fly Agaric
Project Name: Prepare to be Enchanted
Project Link: Prepare to be Enchanted
Brief Description: I made this for Abeeroad in the book swap. The phrase, I think, is suitable for someone getting ready to crack open a book, but also is featured in one of the books I sent her, Life Expectancy by Dean Koontz.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Advent #5
Project Name: Mini Victorian house
Project Link: Mini Victorian house
Brief Description: I made this for my partner in the Winter Decor swap. It’s blue!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Advent #7
Project Name: Dog beds
Project Link: Pet bed procrastination
Brief Description: Finally finished the dog beds for my puppoes! There are two beds, coz there are two dogs.
Project Photo(s)

Prompt: Zap #3
Project Name: Reading lip balm
Project Link: -0-
Brief Description: Just a quick extra for my partner in the book swap.
Project Photo(s)

5 Likes

Prompt: Free Range
Project Name: Pizza
Project Link:
Brief Description: I made four pizzas and a calzone a few nights ago. My BIL made the dough, I made the pizzas (and giant mess with the flour!). I was dreading cleanup, but my dad gladly volunteered to sweep and wipe counters since I made him food. :joy:
Project Photo(s)

6 Likes

Looks so yummy!!

2 Likes

Prompt: Raw (November Battle)
Team: Raking and Entering
Project Name: Untitled journal spread
Project Link: N/A
Brief Description: Filing this as raw because it may still be undercooked :laughing:. That is, I’m turning the page on it for now, but if it speaks to me at later date I may go back in.
(Journal: Basic Starter Art Journal from a Grocery Bag)

Project Photo(s):

7 Likes

I like this one. Makes me think of some water ring damage I’ve done to wood or paper. Could be a fun way to both accent it and hide it with art! I will have to remember this :blush:

1 Like

I think the composition is wonderful :heart:

1 Like

Thanks, folks! I totally made it up as I went along, which isn’t always my strong suit, but I’m really liking it.

I love the idea of leaning into the water rings. That could be a really cool effect.

2 Likes

Week 9 is up! :slight_smile:

fwa-9

greeting Cards - Craft something with words, that folds, uses paper, has a postage stamp, or is flat

3 Likes

Prompt: Advent- 10/18- Pumpkins
Project Name: Nancy Drew Clock
Project Link: Nancy Drew Clock

Brief Description: I made this for kittykill in the Winter Book Swap. She’s a fan of Nancy Drew, and I happened to have an extra copy of The Secret of the Old Clock , which was just begging to be turned into a book clock! Clocks have faces!

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: November- Penny Bun
Project Name: French Meat Pies
Project Link: n/a
Brief Description: My stepdad used to make the French meat pies around the holidays (often for Christmas Eve dinner). I’ve always loved French meat pie (we used to get it for school lunch when I was in elementary school- it was unexpectedly delicious!), and there was a store in town that used to sell them. But, after a fire, the store closed. These, however, are even better! I’ll be chilling these in the fridge overnight then slicing them up tomorrow so I can freeze the slices. After I have a slice for dinner tomorrow night, of course!

Project Photo(s):

5 Likes

Sorry I’ve been absent again, I’m just going to stop saying that and assume everyone will know I’m slightly overwhelmed, but mostly irresponsible. But a little overwhelmed. Last week I helped my friend unpack (part of) her fabric stash. We got through 101 boxes/bins (these are medium sized boxes and large rubbermaid tubs, not small containers) in 4 days and filled 8 enormous shelving units.

…there are still 31 boxes to unpack. And she’s foisted at least 5 bins on me. I’m never going to have to buy fabric again!

Prompt: November Battle - Raw
Team: Resting Grinch Face
Project Name: Animal Crossing New Horizons Star
Project Link: Pattern Included!
Brief Description: One night while walking the dog we saw a shooting star, and hubby said “I made a wish, I expect to find a star fragment next to the bathtub in the morning”. Challenge Accepted! I couldn’t find a pattern I liked so I made one up. In ACNH, star fragments are used as raw ingredients in recipes!
Project Photo(s):

December prompts will be up tomorrow when I get home from work. …and if anyone has any ideas, please feel free to message me, I’m still thinking frantically! :slight_smile:

7 Likes

December Prompts are up, sorry for the delay!

December Battle: Gift Box vs Gift Bag

Prompts:

• Tags - Craft something small that is attached to or part of something else, or has a person’s name written on it
  • Ribbon - Craft something thin, flexible, long, or striped
  • Bows - Craft something shiny, made of several smaller parts, or sits on top of something else
  • Gift Wrap - Craft something that conceals another object, goes around another object, or needs an adhesive to hold it together
  • Tissue Paper - Craft something that is delicate, partially see through, or used more than once
3 Likes