CLOSED: Nerd Games - Fall 2021

Prompt: October – Hay Rides
Team: Gourd of the Rings
Project Name: Halloween Countdown
Project Link: Halloween Countdown
Brief Description: I made this Halloween countdown for the Halloween Spooktactular swap. It felt great to craft again. Life has been so hectic. It is comprised of several parts.
Project Photo(s):

7 Likes

Your pumpkin person looks like what I picture The Great Pumpkin that Linus waits for every year would look like. I love it!

2 Likes

Such an adorable pumpkin! I have missed all your crafty posts, too! :blush:

2 Likes

Prompt: Research #1
Team: :corn: utter corn-age
Project Name: Starmie cushion
Project Link:
Brief Description: My 25 year old son made a request for his birthday. I learned quite a bit, did WAY too much hand sewing. IF I ever made another one, I would do things much more simply, but he likes it. It is about 24" across
Project Pic

6 Likes

I added last Sunday’s and this Sunday’s advent prompts.

1 Like

Prompt: Advent - Rain
Team: Don’t Stop Beleafing
Project Name: Tumbling Polar Bears
Project Link: Tumbling Polar Bears Biscornu
Brief Description: I started this a long time ago. The project was lost, but found again two nights ago. a few more photos in the link
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Advent - Apple Orchard
Project Name: Norwegian Selburose biscornu
Project Link: Norwegian Selburose biscornu
Brief Description: I finished this last week.
Project Photo(s):

7 Likes

Prompt: October Battle - Falling Leaves
Team: So Corn-fused
Project Name: Stonjourner ATC
Project Link: Gotta catch 'em all! Pokémon ATCs - #29 by roler
Brief Description: I only managed to keep up with a Pokémon-themed Inktober for two whole days. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Hopefully I’ll find time to go back and do some of the other prompts later when I’m feeling a bit more up to it! Here’s the one for Day 2: Gravity, which is the same force that acts on fallen leaves!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: October - Costume Party
Team: So Corn-fused
Project Name: Little Witch
Project Link: Little witch
Brief Description: This little witch is all dressed up for a party, in a removable hat and wig!
Project Photo(s):

I’ve actually crafted a LOT more in the past couple of weeks (after quite a long dry spell), but almost entirely for the big 12 Days of Christmas swap, so I’ll post them much later. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Prompt: October - Costume Party
Project Name: Witch doll
Project Link: Halloween doll duo
Brief Description: This doll is ready to go trick or treating with her friends,
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: October - Cozy Sweaters
Project Name: Pumpkin doll
Project Link: same as above
Brief Description: I imagine her hat is very warm and cozy.
Project Photo(s):

6 Likes

I love how your witch turned out! She is adorable.:hearts:

1 Like

I had such a hard time choosing a team this season – seriously, some A++ punning going on – but the book nerd in me can’t pass up Gourd of the Rings.

Prompt: Hay Rides (October)
Project Name: Name junk journal page
Project Link: Some October Junk/Art Journal Pages (Okay, A Lot)
Brief Description: Made from bits salvaged from happy/swap mail. It has multiple parts.
Project Photo(s):
20211013_133504

Prompt: Costume Party (October)
Project Name: Thrive art journal page
Brief Description: I had previously created a background, and then used green paint to cover/disguise it so that it was visible only inside the letters.
Project Photo(s):
20211026_154302

Prompt: Falling Leaves (October Battle)
Project Name: Harvest Days junk journal page
Brief Description: This page commemorates a fall festival I went to recently; it seemed like the one that tracked to the battle. (Also, I took a dive at said event; that wasn’t part of my “falling” justification originally, but if it helps…)
Project Photo(s):
20211026_154027

Prompt: Migration (Advent)
Project Name: Abundance art journal page
Brief Description: I just wanted to mindlessly draw some lines with markers as a destress. The writing spots naturally materialized, and I filled them with an affirmation I’ve been trying to embrace lately. The lines change colors (especially where they overlap).
Project Photo(s):
20210927_185517

Prompt: Candy Corn (Advent)
Project Name: In a Little While art journal page
Brief Description: Same as above, but with mark making. The marks are in multiples. Sentiment from “Little Spark” by Jessie Baylin.
Project Photo(s):
20211011_153737
Prompt: Rain (Advent)
Project Name: Coffee run junk journal page
Brief Description: I decided to make my first Starbucks run in who knows how long after my oil change the other day. The tag from the mirror hanger at the shop is blue.
Project Photo(s):
20211026_154057

5 Likes

Prompt: October Battle Falling leaves
Team: :corn: So corn-fused
Project Name: UV Glow Mr Burns Cake
Project Link: UV Glow Mr Burns Cake
Brief Description: My son’s Mr Burns cake that glows under blacklight. the trees leaves have fallen.
Project Pic

5 Likes

I put up the advent prompt a day early. Happy Halloween! :jack_o_lantern: :ghost:

advent-4623521_1280 (6)

• Oct. 31 - warm clothing - craft something that you wear, that is warm, that goes over something, or that you find comforting
1 Like

I usually post my canning day results as one project, but they do take longer than 30 minutes each, and this time I could fit them into 3 separate Advent Prompts!

Prompt: Advent- Oct. 10- Rain
Project Name: Gingery Pickled Beets
Project Link: n/a
Brief Description: These pickled beets were hot water bath canned. Ironically, I was supposed to add water to the brine, but I think I forgot, and just used straight vinegar. I think they’ll be fine, just extra tangy!

Project Photo(s):

(Pickled Beets on the Left)

Prompt: Advent- Oct.17- Apple Orchard
Project Name: Dilly Beans
Brief Description: A perennial favorite when we can, these start with trimmed green beans and then some garlic, dill seeds, and cayenne are added before being topped off with brine. Tasty!

Project Photo(s): (see above- Dilly Beans on the Right)

Prompt: Advent- Oct. 24- Candy Corn
Project Name: Sweet Corn Salsa
Brief Description: Not only is this salsa sweet (from agave nectar), it has yellow corn in it, and we made multiple jars! And, when I posted it on FB, a friend asked if was candy corn :smiley:

Project Photo(s): (see above- Sweet Corn Salsa in the center)

3 Likes

Those beets sound amazing. So do the dilly beans. I’ve never actually tried dilly beans before, but I like green beans and I love dill pickles, so I assume I’d love those. I wish I had a kitchen large enough to try canning. :blush:

1 Like

Dilly beans are super easy, and you don’t need much space or fancy equipment. My go-to canning expert, Marisa McClellan (author of Food in Jars plus 3 other canning books), cans in a small galley-style kitchen in her apartment. You just need a pot deep enough to cover the jars with about 2 inches of water. Dilly beans are a nice and easy thing to start with- you trim and cut the beans to size, and the spices, make the brine, pour it over and process in the hot water bath. You could totally do it!

1 Like

We may have a stock pot tall enough. We have about 8 inches of counter space. We often have to prep on the stove or in the pan because there is so little space in our kitchen. Our apartment is so small, we can’t even put a set of chairs or a loveseat in the living room. We use our living room as our storage space/yarn room. We live in our bedroom. Our lease is up at the end of January. I’m looking forward to not living in this place anymore :grin:

1 Like

I feel your pain! One of the reasons I drive up to my friend’s house in NH is because I don’t have much more counter space than you do (I probably have about 18" of space), and she has a gorgeous kitchen with a nice big center island. I did buy 2 cutting boards that are designed to fit over the stove burners so I can use them for additional prep space, and it really makes a difference! I also have a kitchen cart, but it is currently covered with stuff.

2 Likes

Oy! So, I had the perfect project for the October Battle (Falling Leaves), but I just couldn’t get it together. I had a commitment yesterday that overlapped (unexpectedly) into today and it took just enough time that I couldn’t get any crafting done. I really need to carve out some time for it in the next week because I think I’ll need it in about 2 weeks. But, while I wait for the laundry to finish in the dryer, I’ll go back and comment on the projects I haven’t commented on yet!

@ezrib - I really like your spider web! My beaded spider and your beaded spider could hang out together! I love the name Spinderella, too. And, I’m drooling over your Apple Cider Donut Ice Cream Sandwiches! What a fantastic idea! Adding apple chunks and caramel would definitely make it even better… yum!!! Your Starmie cushion came out fantastic! And, I bet that adding that second layer of the star in the back made it a bit challenging, but since your son likes it, it’s probably worth it. And, how did you get the cake to glow under blacklight? I’ll have to pop over to the post to check it out.

@gozer- What an adorable little Halloween Countdown- the little pumpkin figure is so cute!

@storerboughtcreation- That polar bear biscornu is simply fantastic. I love that you used a dark blue background- it’s the perfect choice to set off the polar bears. Great job on the GIF, too! The Norwegian biscornu is gorgeous! I love the contrast of the red and white and the pattern is so pretty! Adorable Halloween dolls, too! That pumpkin outfit is so cute. How big are they? I’d guess at least 12" tall.

@roler- I love that you did a Gravity themed Pokemon ATC- what a cool image! And, your little witch is so cute! Your crochet skills continue to impress! You’ve come so far in such a short time.

@megwell- I am really enjoying following along as you add to your junk journal. It’s fun to see the different techniques you’ve used on each page. I think the “Thrive” page is my favorite- such a neat idea to paint the background and then frame out the letters.

3 Likes

They’re about 9.5 inches tall. The witch is 12 inches tall from tips of her toes to the tip of her hat.

Prompt: October - Mulled Cider
Project Name: Droopy Faced Pepper
Project Link: Sad droopy jack o’lantern pepper 🫑
Brief Description: This recipe definitely did not work out how I expected :rofl:
Project Photo(s):

I will not share the after photo here. I want you to be surprised by the droopy face in the project link I shared :jack_o_lantern: :ghost: :joy:

4 Likes

Oh my gourd, @storerboughtcreation those blankets are amazing, and that snail is ADORABLE! And your cross stitch biscornus are utterly awesome, as usual! And your amigurumi! You are a FANTABULOUS crochter! And I have to laugh about the craved bell peppers…

@craftaddchick, that is a FABULOUS Halloween wreath! One of these days I’ll decorate my house for Halloween… and I wish I lived near you for a canning lesson, your canning endeavors always make me jealous!

@ezrib, that spider decoration is GORGEOUS! And that doughnut ice cream sandwich is making me drool! And that pillow looks very difficult, but it did turn out great. I bet your son loved that cake, it’s so well done!

@gozer, that calendar is pumpkinly PERFECT! Lucky swap partner!

@roler your Pokemon themed crafts are remarkable, but… that witch is SO CUTE!

@megwell, your art pages are so INSPIRING! I love all of them!

ACK! I need to at least post my battle prompt, and I will try to get November prompts up soon (I know the theme I want to go with) but it might have to be when I get home from work tomorrow, so please be patient!

3 Likes