CLOSED: Nerd Games - Fall 2021

Welcome to the Nerd Games!

Runs October 1, 2021 - December 31, 2021

This is a craftalong where nerdy crafters all over the world can share our projects and give each other encouragement - that’s really all there is to it! If you feel you might be a nerd, or enjoy some nerdy things of any kind, or if you’re just nerdy about crafting, you’re more than welcome here!

HOW TO JOIN

Simply make any craft, take photos of it, and post them in this group with the following header, which will be explained below:

Prompt: (Write the name of the prompt you are entering your craft for here. Don’t forget to include the month!)
Team: (Choose one of three, listed below)
Project Name: (Name your craft anything you like; fanciful titles or simple labels/descriptions are all fine)
Project Link: (Paste the link to your community post for the bonus points)
Brief Description: (Tell us anything you’d like to about the craft, such as how you made it, and why it fits the prompt.)
Project Photo(s): (Post photos of your awesome craft here, so we can ooh and aah over it!)

THE TEAMS

There are three teams to choose from, and no requirements for joining any of them; simply choose one that speaks to you, put the team name in your first project header, and presto - you’re a member! You will remain on the same team for the entire season. You may change teams in future seasons.

Special Fall Season Teams!

• Team Don’t Stop Beleafing: :fallen_leaf:
  • Team So Corn-fused: :corn:
  • Team Gourd of the Rings: :jack_o_lantern: :ring:

Either type in your team name, or use the emojis to indicate your team!

THE PROMPTS

Prompts will be posted on a monthly basis in the post below. Please choose a prompt. Monthly battles are the only time sensitive prompts. The non-battle prompts are open for the entire season. See THE POINTS section below for point values and several additional crafting opportunities for each of your crafts. You can craft specifically to fit the prompts, or you can craft first and then find a prompt to fit it into. We’re pretty lax about slightly stretched interpretations of the prompts; just explain in your description how it fits!

• Monthly prompts will close at 11:59pm Central Time on the last day of the current month.

BONUS POINTS

We are trying to keep things simple, so there will only be one type of bonus point available. COMMUNITY POINTS will be given when you post a link to a post you’ve made within the Lettuce Craft community, and will be worth 20 bonus points for each project shared. Please be sure to participate in the entire community and not just in the craftalong!

THE POINTS

This competition is just for fun and the points are for nothing more than motivation and bragging rights, but go ahead and rack up points by posting projects for you team! Points break down as follows:

• Monthly battles and prompts: 20 points each (must take at least 30 minutes of crafting time)
  • Free Range: 20 points each (must take at least 30 minutes of crafting time. Up to six allowed per season
  • Big Time projects: 50 points each (must take at least 5 hours of crafting time. Up to three allowed per season)
  • Zaps: 10 points each (any craft that takes less than 30 minutes to make. Up to five allowed per season)
  • Research Projects: 100 points (must take at least 20 hours of crafting time. Up to two per season)
  • Bonus Points: COMMUNITY bonus points (worth 20 extra per project) are the only bonus opportunity available at this time.

Special Note:
All prompts are supposed to be crafted within the current season. However, we have decided to make an exception to this rule. Let’s say you craft something for a swap near the end of the Summer season. You’ve sent the swap package, but it hasn’t been received yet. Fall season begins, your partner has received their swap item, and you are ready to post. You may go ahead and post your project from the previous season for the current season.

THE RULES

• Players must craft to the best of their abilities and have a minimum of 30 minutes of crafting time per submission, unless otherwise noted.
  • A project can only be submitted for one prompt or crafting opportunity.
  • A project does NOT have to be "nerdy,” it only has to fulfill the prompt as you see fit.
  • Submitted projects must be started and completed during the current season, unless otherwise noted.
  • There is SO MUCH to do in the Nerd Games. Do not feel like you have to craft everything. Do what inspires you.
  • We welcome all players from the Nerdyverse, no matter their Geekdom. We even welcome non-nerds!
  • We are never mean.
  • We never exclude someone.
  • We will keep it clean-ish (PG-13).
  • Never hesitate in contacting the Gamemakers (@storerboughtcreation or @Smeddley) with your questions, concerns, or ideas.

Advent Prompts!

We are doing advent prompts again this season. Every Sunday, I will post the new prompt here

A special thank you to @bluebird for sending me the prompts!

Previous Seasons:
Summer 2021
Spring 2021
Winter 2021
Fall 2020
Summer 2020
Spring 2020
Winter 2020

4 Likes

# PROMPT PALACE

Please post your projects with the following header:

Prompt: (Write the name of the prompt you are entering your craft for here. Don’t forget to include the month!)
Team: (Choose one of three, listed below)*
Project Name: (Name your craft anything you like; fanciful titles or simple labels/descriptions are all fine)*
Project Link: (Paste the link to your community post for the bonus points)*
Brief Description: (Tell us anything you’d like to about the craft, such as how you made it, and why it fits the prompt .)**
Project Photo(s): (Post photos of your awesome craft here, so we can ooh and aah over it!)*

Battle Royale Prompt
Choose a side and craft a project to represent your choice. Must be completed within the month of issue, by 11:59 om, Central US time, on the last day of the month. Players may only submit one project per month/Battle. Battle Royale prompts are worth 20 points each and are eligible for all available Bonus Point opportunities.

• October Battle: Falling Leaves vs Pine Needles - CLOSED
  • November Battle: Pen vs Sword - CLOSED
  • December Battle: Sleigh Bells vs Slay Belles

Challenge Prompts

October Theme - Fall
It’s the most wonderful time, of the year! Sorry, Southern Hemisphere, I’m just so excited about fall that I’m not being fair…

• Hay Rides - Craft something brown, thin (twiggy), or made of multiple parts
  • Mulled Cider - Craft something that requires heat or liquid
  • Cozy Sweaters - Craft something poofy,cozy, or meant to keep your warm or comfortable
  • Fuzzy Slippers - Craft something fuzzy, meant to wear, or something you use around the house
  • Costume Party - Craft something that disguises something, or something you wear

November Theme - Stories
It’s that time again, to immerse ourselves in stories (written or read!). If you’re in the Northern Hemisphere it’s getting time to hunker down with a blanket and a good book, if you’re in the Southern Hemisphere it’s getting time to hit the beach with a book! If you’re near the Equator you have consistent weather all the time and you can choose warmer, outdoor reading or shady, fan-cooled reading!

• Spy Stories - craft something that has a hidden portion, meaning, or use, or is to be used “under cover”
  • Romance - craft something that is about love, or for someone you love (or like a lot), or has hearts on it
  • Historical - craft something that uses something old, or looks old and weathered, or has historical significance
  • Non-fiction - craft something functional, or that you needed to look up instructions for
  • Sci-fi/fantasy - craft something that incorporates something space-related or mythical, or something that is very technical to make

December Theme - Holiday Movies
Maybe you’re a big fan of the Hallmark movies, maybe you haven’t let go of the horror-fest of Halloween, but either way this moth has movies for you! And they all come with their own tropes…

• Rekindling an Old Flame - craft something you haven’t made in awhile that you used to do all the time, or craft something that requires heat or flames.
  • It’s a Holiday Baking Competition - craft something that requires baking, or something you might use in the kitchen.
  • Santa is Coming to Town - craft something that is red or white, or is themed in the holiday of your choosing for this season.
  • It’s Just all a Big Misunderstanding - craft something you’ve given up on in the past, or something that was difficult for you, or something to help someone else.
  • Never Split the Party - craft something that requires you to cut or divide your material, or something that is meant to hold things together.
1 Like

Happy Fall / Winter quarter! This quarter we are doing a 12 week advent event! Each week on Sunday I will post a new prompt for you to craft. These prompts are just like the normal monthly prompts, and are in addition to the normal monthly prompts. You will just have a lot more prompts this season to work with! Have fun and Happy holidays! This event begins on October 3rd!

advent-4623521_1280 (2) advent-4623521_1280 (3) advent-4623521_1280 (4) advent-4623521_1280 (5)

• Oct. 3 - migration - craft something that has feathers, that has a bird, that changes colors, that either travels (i.e. mail envelope) or is used for traveling.
  • Oct. 10 - rain - craft something blue or grey, that you used water to make, or makes a soothing sound, or is simply soothing to you
  • Oct. 17 - apple orchard - craft something that has red, green or yellow, something round or is a food item
  • Oct. 24 - candy corn - craft something sweet, that that has multiples/duplicates, that has yellow, white or orange on it

advent-4623521_1280 (6) advent-4623521_1280 (7) advent-4623521_1280 (8) advent-4623521_1280 (10)

• Oct. 31 - warm clothing - craft something that you wear, that is warm, that goes over something, or that you find comforting
  • Nov. 7 - flannel sheets - craft something that is soft, that has stripes, that is a set, has purple on it, or is physically large
  • Nov. 14 - cranberries - craft something round, that is tart, that is shiny, or that is dark red
  • Nov. 21 - Black Friday - craft with something you bought on sale or at a discount, that will be a present for someone, or that has black on it

advent-4623521_1280 (9) advent-4623521_1280 (11) advent-4623521_1280 (12) advent-4623521_1280 (13)

• Nov. 28 - hot chocolate - craft something to drink, that is hot, that is brown, or smells really good
  • Dec. 5 - board games - craft something entertaining, that is used with friends or family, that has many parts or is multicolored
  • Dec. 12 - decorations - craft something metallic, that is pretty, or that you hang up to look at
  • Dec. 19 - presents - craft something that is a gift for someone else or is something you made for yourself
3 Likes

Tracking and Teams

This is where you can view the team roster and see what you’ve completed so far this season. To view your checklist, find your name under your team and click on it. You will be taken directly to your checklist.

Please don’t hesitate to message me if you see a project is missing from your checklist after the most recent tracking update is posted.

Teams

2 Likes

What fun team names for the season! I am torn between two of them. But, I’m going to take a bit of time tonight to lay out my craft tracking document, and see what I can get made this weekend :slight_smile:

1 Like

I am also torn between two teams. I think I know which one I’m joining, but we’ll see! I was up until 4am finishing a project I wanted to post for last season, but I couldn’t finish in time. I’ll have to choose and then post soon :smiley:

1 Like

I just filled out my project list. There’s room to shuffle depending upon the advent prompts, but I am feeling energized!

1 Like

Prompt: Research Project
Team: Don’t Stop Beleafing
Project Name: Nya Mosaic blanket
Project Link: Nya mosaic rainbow blanket
Brief Description: I tried so hard to finish this last night, but I didn’t finish until 4am. This took me about 36 hours
Project Photo(s):

9 Likes

@storerboughtcreation that blanket is absolutely amazing. It looks like it was a lot of work. I love the way the colors flow into each other and the colors you chose.

2 Likes

That blanket is fantastic!!

2 Likes

It is simply gorgeous! As gozer said, the way the colors flow is just perfect. Between the pattern and the colors, it’s a bit mesmerizing!

2 Likes

Prompt: October - Battle - Falling Leaves
Project Name: Speedy little snail
Project Link: Shelma the Pumpkin Snail
Brief Description: I made this up in just over an hour. It was a fun and easy pattern. It has leaves on the pumpkin, and I can also picture little Shelma snailing her way through the fall leaves covering a garden plot.
Project Photo(s):

9 Likes

Oh my gosh @storerboughtcreation ! That is the cutest thing I have ever seen! I love the little pumpkin snail so much.

1 Like

Prompt: Free Range #1
Project Name: Halloween Wreath
Project Link: Halloween Wreath
Brief Description: I bought this kit in 2014 and finally pulled out the rest of the supplies to make it (I needed ink, glue, stamps). I didn’t have the stamp set that coordinated with the wreath, so I originally used an alphabet set to stamp the “Trick or Treat”, but ended up just printing it on my printer after I glued it on wrong and couldn’t save it. And, I went with a Free Range prompt because I wanted to make sure I got it posted.

Project Photo(s):

5 Likes

It’s so cute! How big did it turn out to be? I might not get mine made for Halloween, but it’s still on my list :slight_smile:

1 Like

She is 5.5” from base to top of hat, and 4 inches from front to the tip of the tail. I used worsted weight yarn and a G hook. I hope you make yours! I want to see it! :blush:

The only change I made was to the purple band on the hat. I surface slip stitched around instead of making a separate chain and sewing on.

1 Like

I’ll try to get one made! I can put it on my desk at school :slight_smile:

1 Like

Prompt: Free Range 1
Team: :corn: (So corn-fused)
Project Name: Wire corner spider web
Project Link:Wire Spider Web Corner
Brief Description: I made this fun wire web to sit in the frame between our dining room & living room. I also made beaded “Spinderella” to sit in there

Prompt: October- Mulled Cider
Team: :corn: (Corn you feel the love tonight)
Project Name: Applecider donut icecream sandwiches
Brief Description: Homemade apple cider donuts cut in half with homemade vanilla icecream, next time I think I’d add chunks of cooked apple & caramel for more of a sundae feel. so good!
Project Photo(s):

5 Likes

I think you got a little corn-fused on your team name in that second one :joy: :joy: :joy:

That bagel looks DELICIOUS! Can I come over for dessert? :grin:

2 Likes

Prompt: Research Project
Project Name: Pretty tree blanket
Project Link: Fir trees all in a row 🌲
Brief Description: This blanket took me over 80 hours to finish, and I love it so much. I want to make another one. The pattern was a lot of fun, and not too repetitive since so much is going on.
Project Photo(s):

9 Likes