CLOSED: Nerd Games - Fall 2021

They’re about 9.5 inches tall. The witch is 12 inches tall from tips of her toes to the tip of her hat.

Prompt: October - Mulled Cider
Team: Don’t Stop Beleafing
Project Name: Droopy Faced Pepper
Project Link: Sad droopy jack o’lantern pepper 🫑
Brief Description: This recipe definitely did not work out how I expected :rofl:
Project Photo(s):

I will not share the after photo here. I want you to be surprised by the droopy face in the project link I shared :jack_o_lantern: :ghost: :joy:

4 Likes

Oh my gourd, @storerboughtcreation those blankets are amazing, and that snail is ADORABLE! And your cross stitch biscornus are utterly awesome, as usual! And your amigurumi! You are a FANTABULOUS crochter! And I have to laugh about the craved bell peppers…

@craftaddchick, that is a FABULOUS Halloween wreath! One of these days I’ll decorate my house for Halloween… and I wish I lived near you for a canning lesson, your canning endeavors always make me jealous!

@ezrib, that spider decoration is GORGEOUS! And that doughnut ice cream sandwich is making me drool! And that pillow looks very difficult, but it did turn out great. I bet your son loved that cake, it’s so well done!

@gozer, that calendar is pumpkinly PERFECT! Lucky swap partner!

@roler your Pokemon themed crafts are remarkable, but… that witch is SO CUTE!

@megwell, your art pages are so INSPIRING! I love all of them!

ACK! I need to at least post my battle prompt, and I will try to get November prompts up soon (I know the theme I want to go with) but it might have to be when I get home from work tomorrow, so please be patient!

3 Likes

Prompt: October Battle: Falling Leaves
Project Name: Moldy Pumpkin
Project Link: N/A
Brief Description: I followed a Monster Tutorials YT video (Easy Rotten Pumpkins Tutorial - YouTube) and it worked perfectly! I did end up spraying another coat of matte varnish on it after this picture, because the spray paint options were pretty thin when I went shopping and I ended up with a glossy black. And it looks TONS better in person. Falling leaves create damp, moldy conditions, but they also shelter a lot of insects and critters so if you can, leave leaves in flowerbeds and other places to give butterflies and other pollinators places to overwinter!
Project Photo(s):

6 Likes

What a fun pumpkin! It’s what my pumpkins look like after the squirrels and the weather have attacked them, so I love that you’ve embraced the inevitability!

And, I would absolutely give you a lesson if we were closer (I drive to NH to can at my friend’s house) but you’re too many states away :frowning: You should check out your local extension office to see if they offer classes. I took a class several summers ago through Massachusetts Agriculture in the Classroom. We picked local blueberries then went to a local HS and used their home ec kitchen to turn them into jam. It got me over my fear of canning- it wasn’t hard at all. But, it was hella hot that day, and with 6 stoves going in the classroom… It’s the one downside to canning in the summer!

2 Likes

New prompts have been posted! Sorry that took so long! And while I feel we’ve probably done something similar before (there have been a LOT of seasons of the Nerd Games!) hopefully these are “new” enough!

3 Likes

Ha, just because I’m halfway across the country! It’s probably only a 24 hour drive! :wink: But that’s a good idea, I should check that or even the city offered a lot of classes (less so now, but I’m sure they’ll eventually get back to it). There is something about doing it in a class around people for the first time that gets you over that bump of just TRYING it once… it’s hard to muster up the courage to do it yourself sometimes!

2 Likes

Prompt: October - Cozy Sweater
Team: Gourd of the Rings
Project Name: Halloween Mug Rug
Project Link: -0-
Brief Description: This was made for the Halloween Spooktacular swap but I forgot to post it here. Sorry, life has been a rollercoaster. It is a little poofy and keeps your drink cozy.
Project Photo(s):

7 Likes

Prompt: Advent- Candy Corn
Team: :corn: So corn fused
Project Name: Crochet skeleton cushion
Project Link:
Brief Description: I had a vision & started charting what I wanted, then as I got into it I stopped looking at the chart and went rogue as I eyeballed the multiple orange pumpkins, my skeles & checker board. so it is almost entirely freehand/no pattern
Project Pic

8 Likes

I love the one rowdy skeleton. He or she looks so happy and it’s great! :hearts:

2 Likes

LOL! Perhaps one day I can hop on a plane :laughing: Taking the class was a game changer! I first learned to make jam in junior high, and made that one recipe a couple of times since, but they were sealed with wax, and never canned. After the blueberry jam class, I thought, “That’s all there is to it?” The actual canning part is easy… it’s all of the prep work that makes it seem hard. But, canning with a friend or two makes the workload lighter.

@gozer- What fantastic fabric! I really love the spider fabric, and you perfectly cut that zombie fabric. Nicely done!

@ezrib- Utterly impressed that you essentially made that pattern up as you went along! It’s amazing!

2 Likes

I saw an episode about canning on America’s Test Kitchen and found this guide on their website. There are also recipes for small batch jams there.

2 Likes

Prompt: October - Hay Rides
Project Name: ghostly biscornu
Project Link: Halloween biscornu 👻
Brief Description: This is made using two parts. I tried to finish it before Halloween, but I just couldn’t get it done in time.
Project Photo(s):

6 Likes

I put up the advent prompt early again. At least I haven’t forgotten to post the last two weeks :crazy_face:

advent-4623521_1280 (7)

• Nov. 7 - flannel sheets - craft something that is soft, that has stripes, that is a set, has purple on it, or is physically large
2 Likes

Prompt: Advent- Apple Orchard
Team: :corn: so cornfused
Project Name: Spiced Applesauce
Project Link:
Brief Description: recipe from Spiced Applesauce Recipe
really delicious, we’re halfway through our third batch
Project Pic

5 Likes

Prompt: November- Romance
Team: :corn:
Project Name: Hot Fuzz Birthday cake
Project Link: Hot Fuzz Birthday Cake
Brief Description: My husband whom I love, loves the movie Hot Fuzz, so this is his birthday cake
Project Pic

6 Likes

Prompt: November- Spy Stories
Project Name: Moon face sign
Project Link: Moon face sign that glows
Brief Description: My 20" moon face that’s secret is it glows at night or under uv light
Project Pic

7 Likes

Prompt: October- Fuzzy slippers
Project Name: My Achin’ @ss
Project Link: Achin' @ss the crocheted donkey
Brief Description: I made this crocheted donkey with a fuzzy mane for my husband’s friend
Project Pic

8 Likes

Prompt: October - Hay Rides
Project Name: Hat (1)
Brief Description: Hiya, folks! I haven’t been around online, but I have been crafting. I made 10 hats. And now I’m going to show you all of them.

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: October - Cozy Sweaters
Project Name: Hat (2)
Brief Description: Have you all noticed how little yarn variety is available right now? I get why, it was just a bit of a let down to go yarn shopping. I dipped into my stash, and supplemented with a few new skeins to make all of these.

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: October - Fuzzy Slippers
Project Name: Hat (3)
Brief Description: Hats, Hats, Hats. This one is fuzzy.

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: October - Costume Party
Project Name: Hat (4)
Brief Description: We’re wearing hats.

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: November - Spy Stories
Project Name: Hat (5)
Brief Description: So many hats. It can help you sneak around under cover, and has a bunch of hidden stitches and threads inside.

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: November - Romance
Project Name: Hat (6)
Brief Description: These are all made for holiday gifts, for many people that I love and care about.

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: November - Historical
Project Name: Hat (7)
Brief Description: Looking weathered.

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: November - Non-fiction
Project Name: Hat (8)
Brief Description: Hats are functional, and I looked up instructions for a few different things in the process.

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: November - Sci-fi/Fantasy
Project Name: Hat (9)
Brief Description: These took a lot of technical skill and concentration. Also, this one has sparkly metallic fibers…like…stars.

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Free Range
Project Name: Hat (10)
Brief Description: That’s all 10 hats. Now on to other things!
Project Photo(s):

7 Likes

Prompt: Flannel Sheets (Advent)
Project Name: Cookies!
Brief Description: I made a set (batch) of cookies.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Apple Orchard (Advent)
Project Name: Lose the Fear art journal page
Brief Description: I made a fairly red art journal page.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Warm Clothing (Advent)
Project Name: Not a Whim art journal page
Brief Description: I made a collage figure and painted a quote over a background I had made earlier.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Sword (November Battle)
Project Name: Bearillionaire ATC
Project Link: N/A (for now, at least)
Brief Description: I made this ATC for thanate in the Ongoing ATC Swap. It involved a lot of cutting. I used scissors, but what are scissors if not small, attached, hand-held swords?
Project Photo(s):

7 Likes

The underwear whim has me laughing :joy:

3 Likes