CLOSED: Nerd Games - Fall 2022

Prompt: December Battle- fruitcake
Team: don’t stop Beleafing
Project Name: Shadowbox for Mom
Project Link: Shadow boxes for parental units
Brief Description: This shadowbox features some miniatures that I made, including a fruit pie. Which is pretty close to a fruitcake. Sort of. It has fruit. But not figs, and since that is the other option, we’re going with fruit cake.
Project Photo(s):

2 Likes

Prompt: December - Figs
Team: don’t stop Beleafing
Project Name: Peace on Earth wall art
Project Link:
Brief Description: The motif on this wall art is round.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: December- Pudding
Team: Don’t Stop Beleafing
Project Name: Shadowbox for dad
Project Link:
Brief Description: This shadowbox features several brown things: the guitar, the radio, and even the little papers that have the words on them are brown.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: December- Bread
Project Name: Kiddo’s birthday cake
Project Link:
Brief Description: This cake required some waiting time while baking. And it smelled good!
Project Photo(s):

3 Likes

Prompt: Advent #8
Project Name: candlestick tree
Project Link:
Brief Description: this tree is made with fabric.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Advent #9
Project Name: Money ATC
Project Link:
Brief Description: There’s a line in the song “Cold Cold Ground” that says, “ Bring a dollar with you, baby…“
Project Photo(s):

2 Likes

Your little snowman is adorable, @storerboughtcreation!
I love how he is peeking over his scarf, so cute!

2 Likes

The microwave mug cozy is genius, @craftADDchick!

3 Likes

I love your shadow boxes. And I adore the candlestick tree. The colorful beads winding around it are so bright and cheerful :hearts:

2 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

@Bunny1kenobi I like the mixture of words and miniatures in your shadowboxes. And the candlestick tree is a really clever idea.

Meanwhile, I’m back to catching up at the last minute :woman_facepalming:t2: :
Prompt: Toe of Frog (October)
Team: Gourd of the Rings
Project Name: Playground ATC 1
Project Link: Big Ol' ATC Post
Brief Description: This side of the playground contains the hopscotch . . . court? Board? Whatever, the point is, hopping.
Project Photo(s): Bottom card in this photo
20221016_173347

Prompt: Eye of Newt (October)
Project Name: Playground ATC 2
Brief Description: This card has multiple ingredients (colored pencil, Sharpie, pen).
Project Photo(s): Top card in photo above.

Prompt: Wool of Bat (October)
Project Name: Murder, She Wrote ATC
Brief Description: The background is black.
Project Photo(s):
20221218_135536

Prompt: Monster Mash (Advent)
Project Name: Monster Love ATC
Brief Description: The dating site name MonsterMatch™ is inspired by the song.
Project Photo(s):
20221031_111340

Prompt: Bread (December)
Project Name: The Ghost that Walks ATC
Brief Description: This card is rectangular.
Project Photo(s):
20221031_111318

Prompt: Three Little Birds (Advent)
Project Name: Neon Pizza ATC
Brief Description: This card was inspired by a specific place, namely irid3sc3nt’s Pinterest feed :wink:.
Project Photo(s):
20221116_135539

Prompt: Undone [The Sweater Song] (Advent)
Project Name: Sweater Cards
Project Link: Ridiculous-Holiday-Sweater Christmas Cards
Brief Description: SWEATERS.
Project Photo(s):
20221201_211348

3 Likes

I especially like the sweater cards! So perfect for the holidays!

1 Like

Prompt: December- Rum
Project Name: Paper skull
Project Link:
Brief Description: What could be more pirate themed than a skull? Plus, I used liquid glue to make it.
Project Photo(s):

4 Likes

That’s really cool, and feels like it was probably a bear to put together.

Also, I know it’s probably just a spiral notebook, but it kinda looks like he has a corkscrew coming out of his head and I like it :laughing: .

5 Likes

Yep, just a spiral notebook! And also yes, a bit of a bear to assemble. But I think it turned out ok.

3 Likes

Snuck in another finish!

Prompt: Spoopy (October)
Project Name: 2022 junk journal page
Project Link: N/A
Brief Description: Took me three tries to put the glue on the correct part of the tuck spot, and one of the tucks is realllly janky.
Project Photo(s): Appropos of the prompt, turns out part of my hand is in the photo :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Prompt: December Battle- Figgy Pudding
Project Name: Mincemeat “Pies”
Project Link: n/a

Brief Description: For Christmas dinner, my mom wanted mincemeat pie, but we didn’t have enough mincemeat or pie crust (and neither of us wanted to make more), so I cut the pie crust into little rectangles and attempted to make mini hand pies. They looked more like pie wontons, but they still tasted good. I went with figgy pudding because one ingredient is raisins.

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: October: Spoopy
Project Name: Necklace Re-stringing
Project Link: Wire and Bead Necklace

Brief Description: My mom had made this necklace but needed help finishing it off. I tied the final knot, but while she was melting the ends, the cord broke, so I needed to re-sting it for her.

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: October- Wool of Bat
Project Name: Wine Bottle Holder
Project Link: Wine Bottle Holder

Brief Description: I made my mom a wine bottle holder for Christmas. I quilted the black fabric outer layer. I got the pattern free from Bernina.

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: November- Groups of 9
Project Name: 9-Patch Hot Pad
Project Link: 9-Patch Hot Pad

Brief Description: This hot pad is made from 9 different fabrics!

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: December- Bread
Project Name: Fish Applique Hot Pad
Project Link: Fish Applique Hot Pad

Brief Description: I needed to practice the applique stitch, so I turned the practice piece into a square hot pad for my mom.

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: December- Figs
Project Name: Bread Basket Liner #1
Project Link: Bread Basket Liners

Brief Description: My mom hosts the holidays, so I made her a bread basket liner to match her kitchen. It has wings/flaps that fold over to cover the bread. It isn’t insulated, and I never thought about doing that, but at dinner, someone asked if it was, so now I might have to do that in the future!

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: December- Candied Fruit
Project Name: Bread Basket Liner #2
Project Link: Bread Basket Liners

Brief Description: I made this one for my mom using fabric with candy printed on it (sweet!).

Project Photo(s):

2 Likes

Prompt: October- Eye of Newt
Project Name: Crochet Granny Square Plant Hanger
Project Link: Crochet Granny Square Plant Hanger

Brief Description: This plant hanger is made from several granny squares and granny triangles, with wooden beads. All of the pieces were made separately and then joined together.

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: November- Columns and Rows
Project Name: Cross-Stitch Wooden Box
Project Link: Cross-Stitch Wooden Box

Brief Description: This box (purchased from Target several years ago) has a cross-stitch grid on it, and I finally stitched one up!

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: November- The Final Square
Project Name: Plaid Winter Wreath
Prompt: (Write the name of the prompt you are entering your craft for here)

Project Link: Plaid Winter Wreath
Brief Description: After seeing a FB post for this class, I purchased the materials to make this wreath back in 2019! I finally made it, but now I need to hang it before another 3 years go by :slight_smile:

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: December- Rum
Project Name: Folded Fabric Star Ornaments
Project Link: Folded Fabric Star Ornaments

Brief Description: I made these cute little star ornaments this Christmas as gifts. I didn’t have time to sew them together, so I used hot glue (hot glue is a liquid when it’s hot :slight_smile: ).

Project Photo(s):

2 Likes

Prompt: Research Project #1
Project Name: Stamp Closet Organizing Overhaul
Project Link: (will be posted later, if I have time!)

Brief Description: After watching several organizing videos, I finally decided to finish up reorganizing my stamp closet. I had posted pics of the closet before, but I did an overhaul of it to make it a bit more efficient. The part that you can’t see, and the part that took the most time, is the spreadsheet I created as a database for all of my wood-block Stampin’Up stamps. They were taking up too much room in their individual boxes, so I photographed each set, uploaded the photo to the spreadsheet, and added keywords to each set. Now, I can search for stamps using the keywords. Then, I bought 30 Iris boxes and put all of the stamps in there. I labeled each box with a number, then added that location number to the spreadsheet. The white plastic drawers are full of individual wood-block (and foam) stamps, organized by category.

I also moved in a tall (brown) bookcase to store my Stampin’Up cling and photopolymer stamps. On the cart, I have cutting dies and stamp sets with coordinating cutting dies. The bottom shelf of the cart is for photopolymer stamp sets. I also organized the back shelves so tools and supplies would be easier to find. The closet is very narrow (it’s the width of the door, essentially), so to get to the back shelf, I can easily wheel the cart out of the way. Hanging on the inside of the door is a pocket shoe holder that holds most of my paper punches. I may make tweaks to this as I go, but for now, everything is in a place where I know where it can be found.

Project Photo(s):

3 Likes

Prompt: Advent Week 10 - Cold Cold Ground
Project Name: Bow tree topper
Project Link:
Brief Description: In the song Cold, Cold Ground, there’s a line “There’s a ribbon in the willow” - so here is a ribbon bow I made for my little tree, which features mostly handmade/crafty/silly ornaments.

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Advent Week 11 - Kind & Generous
Project Name: Money box
Project Link:
Brief Description: I made this for my great uncle as a gift, and the song talks about giving. :upside_down_face: It was a bunch of $1 and $5 bills taped together, so you could keep pulling the roll of money out for a while.

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Advent Week 12 - A Long December
Project Name: Bubble candles
Project Link:
Brief Description: My partner’s niece wanted bubble candles, so I made some. It was a steep learning curve compared to my usual candle-making romps, and took waaaay longer than I expected. Like, maybe if I still had Big Time slots, they would have qualified. They turned out in the end, though! I packaged them in clear cube boxes.

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Advent Week Bonus - Last Christmas
Project Name: Pies
Project Link:
Brief Description: These pies were made for Christmas get togethers. There were five in total. It’s kind of like a no-bake cheesecake.

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Research Project
Project Name: Meals for a month
Project Link:
Brief Description: I wanted to challenge myself with something a bit different for a Research Project this time. Two things happened to prompt it - I realized how much money I was spending on food delivery (YIKES!) and I had a lighter work load in December, so I knew I would have more time to cook. I made 25 meals from scratch in December, though not all of them ended up with photos. I tried a bunch of new recipes, made some things for the first time, and got to enjoy many fun and tasty meals with my partner.

Project Photo(s):

Top row: Steak/roast potatoes/carrots; Breakfast scramble; Egg salad croissants/butternut squash
Middle row: Sloppy Joes/zucchini; Salmon/carrots/kiwi; Hashbrowns/sausage/fried onions/guacamole
Bottom row: BBQ pulled pork/butternut squash; BLTs; Meatloaf/carrots/mashed potatoes

Top row: Chicken sandwiches; Crock pot Swiss chicken; Steak/fried onions and mushrooms/zucchini
Middle row: Taco salad; Swedish meatballs/mashed potatoes/broccoli; French onion soup
Bottom row: Chicken pot pies; Honey garlic pork chops/mashed potatoes/zucchini; Chili

Prompt: Big Time
Project Name: Felt Guitar
Project Link:
Brief Description: This was a little kit I picked up on clearance. It was surprisingly time consuming, but turned out really cute!

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Free Range
Project Name: Gingerbread houses
Project Link:
Brief Description: My partner picked up some ginger bread house kits as a little surprise for me. I did most of it over about three days, and my partner popped in to help on two of the little houses.

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Free Range
Project Name: Large ribbon bow
Project Link:
Brief Description: I made a second big bow for a door in our front room.

Project Photo(s):

bow2

Prompt: Zap
Project Name: Mini charcuterie board
Project Link:
Brief Description: The photo has three Zaps in it. I made a few things for snacks for the holidays - a mini charcuterie board, Chex mix, and punch.

Project Photo(s):

Project Name: Chex mix
Project Link:
Brief Description:

Project Photo(s):

See above.

Project Name: Punch
Project Link:
Brief Description:

Project Photo(s):

See above.

Project Name: Candied Almonds
Project Link:
Brief Description: I didn’t count the baking time for these since I wasn’t doing anything while they were baking. They’re really easy, just raw almonds, cinnamon, sugar, vanilla, and an egg white. I made a big batch, so I packaged up some of them for gifts.

Project Photo(s):

Note: I updated some of my previous posts with Community Bonus Points.

1 Like

Friendly reminder to send me your submission forms if you earned any pins this season! Since it’s the holiday, I’ll extend the window to 11:59 pm central on Monday, January 2.

2 Likes

Prompt: Research Project #2
Project Name: Under the Sea Baby Quilt
Project Link: Under the Sea Baby Quilt

Brief Description: I made this with my mom (I did all of the sewing & applique work) this week. We started on Monday after Christmas and finished at 9 pm on New Year’s Eve!

Project Photo(s):

Whoo-hoo! I did it! At least I think I did everything I needed to do to earn all 3 pins. I will check tomorrow when I get home. But for now, I need to pack my carry on, and then relax for a bit before bed :slight_smile:
Happy New Year everyone!

4 Likes

I missed a couple things to earn all 3 pins. :confused: But I think I at least got ONE! Small victories.

1 Like